humminbird z line?

AKRISONER

Anyone using these chips on their humminbird products.

Seems like its based off of lakemaster north america charts. Does anyone have any experience using these for navigation, and more specifically on Georgian Bay.

Unfortunately lake master does not have a nice web app like navionics, but it looks like if I want to utilize autochart live I am stuck going with humminbird z line.

let me know your experiences with coverage and accuracy of charts.

Thanks guys,

NO experience with using the actual product but from my research and my fishing partners experience, I am pretty sure the Zero lines cards only provide you with an outline of the water body you are on. You use your sonar information via Autochart (Pro, or Live) to populate the chart information.

with the new Helix units, if you have a zero lines card installed, this information will self populate when recording where as you used to have to save your sonar data and upload it to a PC to get it onto the card.

i think I have figured it out and im a bit upset now finally understanding the full details after buying my unit. but its only a minor inconvenience that I am basically going to have to swap cards if I make the decision that I dont just want to use Uni map cartography to navigate. (on georgian bay I am guessing this will be the case)

Here is the summary of what I was finally able to decipher after weeks of reading and knowing almost every single feature of the Helix units by model number. I could pretty much sell these things at this point.

The Helix 5 and 7 series both only have one SD card port.

The Helix 9 10 and 12 have 2 micro sd slots

all helix units have autochart live capability, however only the 9 10 and 12+ models have 8 hours of internal Autochart data recording capability. The 5 and 7 series both require you to utilize the autochart Z line card in order for you to be able to record and create autocharts utilizing autochart live. Each autochart Z line card has 16 gigs of record able space, according to humminbird that is enough for a life time of recording.

If you own the 9 or higher series helix, you can utilize the dual SD slots to have the cartography maps of your choice plus have the autochart z line card record utilizing opacity, right over your existing cartography maps. I.e. run navionics while the program creates its own cartography over the existing navionics maps.

Heres where I am a little upset...I didnt realize the you need to use humminbird Z line in order to record your data. With only 1 SD card slot I am stuck either swapping from card to card to navigate...or simply continuing to utilize my phone for the time being until i can create enough of a chart for the area and have the hazards marked on my autochart z line map.

Looks like its gonna be a summer of zig zag driving for me!

Edited by AKRISONER

I think you have to supply your own Micro 32 G card and purchase the program for $199.00

I have the Helix 7 with the Navionics + card, I know the lake Ont chart portion depths on the card is way off, not accurate at all.

this is exactly why i need autochart live...unless you are running the navigation lines, its basically useless on georgian bay.

To a point...leaves much to be desired lol.

89OIxGT.jpg

If you zoom in the detail is better. These charts are based off the paper charts you can buy. Whatever detail is on them, is on these. Don't blame Navionics.

Let's face it, Gbay is a huge body of water and to get it all charted is a tall order. I hope you have several lifetimes to autochart even that 'small' section. Autochart and the like is great for charting tiny puddles or details about spots that you like to fish.

If you zoom in the detail is better.

no its not...thats the point.

lol my cottage sits in the uncharted area near skunk island...weve got navionics platinum....there is nothing.

and yes...i have an entire life time to map the area...so what that means is that every time I am fishing, I will be charting. Im not trying to chart the entirety of the PAB area, but over the course of the next 10 years I think I could end up with a pretty significant portion completed.

Edited by AKRISONER