Sat out the 2017 Walleye Opener

Broke my string of 32 consecutive walleye openers on the same lake in NW Ontario. We were a day or 2 late a couple of times due to late ice out. All trips were at least 7 days, many 10 days, several 14 days and one of 21 days.

This year we're taking on endometrial cancer at our house. We were diagnosed April 13, visited a gynecological oncologist April 18 (Norma's 82nd birthday) and underwent a hysterectomy April 21,

The disease was caught early, giving us great odds of beating it. Also on our side is that the success rate in recovering from endometrial cancer is great. I admire my wife for scheduling a doctor visit at the first sign of a problem.

My main point in making this post is to strongly suggest doing all you can to have early detection on your side.

After giving the surgery a chance to heal we'll return for a follow up visit June 1 to determine if further treatment is suggested. It's possible that a spattering of cancer cells may have entered the abdominal wall. If so, we'll lean toward radiation treatment. Quarterly surveillance is a possibility, but we will probably go with surveillance plus radiation. Our decision will be determined by what is suggested by our oncologist.

Guys, please remember the importance of early detection. Allow it to work for your family.

My wife, older son, 8 year old grandson and I are booked to fly in on July 15, unless we're staying at home for treatment.

Hoping for the very best for you guys

Early diagnosis of everything is key.

Colonoscopy

PSA.

Prostate rectal exam

Gynaecological tests

Blood pressure

Skin cancer check. Especially for us fishermen.

Bloodwork.

Push your family Doc to keep an eye on this.

They won't call you

It's up to you.