Metal roofing v traditional shingles?

kickingfrog

I did some research before I did my roof last year. I ended up going with architectural shingles, much better product than the old 3-tabs. My decision was based on price and installation. Metal roofing has a much higher price tag, and pretty much every bad review/leaking story I heard could be traced back to installation issues. I could do my roof several times over in shingles for what the metal roof cost, and the installation of shingles is pretty straight-forward.

If you do go with metal, I'd be looking for an installer with experience and a good reputation to avoid headaches in the future. What type are you thinking of? Standing seam or pressed panels?

I've personally done a few painted metal panel roofs. Skip the strapping, strip the shingles and go directly on the roof deck. One I did 12-13 years ago (was just there today as a matter of fact) hasn't leaked yet, isn't rusting and looks good. That was a new build where strapping was applied over the rafters. It was the last time I ever used strapping - and won't ever again use strapping. Next new one I put down 7/16 OSB first and went directly over that with the panels - much easier to work that way. Re-roof that was done in fall 2015 was stripped first then direct to deck with the painted metal panels (same source as all I've done). Looks good and no problems. Cost was a bit higher than normal shingles but I actually found it faster to install.

That's what I've experienced so far. All positive.

Michael

Let me know if you go with a metal roof Rob. Our little sister plant is the manufacture of metal roofing. Also do the installation. Back 18 years ago, I was the one stamping the panels out. Will send a pm.

Edited by Misfish

I'm putting standing seam metal roofing on my cabin. Most of the fasteners are hidden which reduces the probability of leaks.

It should be still going strong long after I croak!!! :P

They actually make coated metal shingles that look like architectural asphalt shingles but last way longer.

Expect to pay a lot more for something like this though.

http://www.westmansteel.ca/products/roofing/decra-r-shingle-xd-102/

This is the roofing product I purchased.

http://www.westmansteel.ca/products/roofing/snap-loktm-roofing-panel-79/

We did metal on our Snug Harbour house. When I figured in the cost of stripping the old shingles, new ice and water shield......... the metal roof (strapping over existing shingles) ended up costing me $500.00 more than if I had replaced the shingles.

We also found the house cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter, I think it was because of the air barrier created between the metal and old shingles.

If I was doing it again I would definitely go with the metal.

I just went through this,after heavy thought we decided to go metal,the additional cost was relatively closer then I thought. 12500 for metal and 8000 for shingles for 2000 square ft. backsplit.. Bargain with the metal roof company ,we did and got it for 2000 cheaper then first quote. We delayed to the fall for installation which also helped with the price.

a little off topic, but what are your guys thoughts on tesla's solar roof?

https://www.tesla.com/en_CA/solarroof

I am wondering what the wiring job would be like on those.

The tiles are 365 x 184 mm (14.4 x 7.25 inches). That is less than one square foot per shingle. Even a small house would have over a thousand shingles. Larger houses would have several thousand. They do mix solar & non-solar tiles in a roof. But you still have five or six hundred tiles (or more) that need to be wired up as opposed to five or six panels on a conventional solar roof.

Do they drill five or six hundred holes in the decking and send someone up to the attic to attach two wires to each tile? I cannot think of another way to do it.

They may be able to speed up the process by having prefabed connector on each tile and a prefabed wire assembley with multiple connectors to attach to the tiles. But I think someone is still going to be spending quite a bit of time in the attic wiring everything up.

Edited by JohnBacon