Fish and Game Spot Check

4x4bassin

How is this a good use of resources? Two wardens (my assumption, could have been more) are wasting time looking for what could be poachers because of one piece of fish without skin? Wouldn't their resources be better spent looking for folks raping the resource with buckets of fish? Chasing folks in outta the way places only makes sense if there has been a tip given to the MNR. Looking for offenders in much more traveled areas, with a higher number of active fisherman seems to me to be the best use of their time and money. Any fine they do levy will be peanuts compared to the cost of them actively chasing out of the way fishermen.

HH

Serious stuff man! That one piece of fish without skin could have led to the motherload!

How would they know unless they look? Not every poacher has a white bucket. Why would they not look ,after making all that effort to get back in there, and you giving them a legal,( albeit weak, but that's all they need), reason to do so. Bet they have caught a lot of poachers that way, one small slip up.

Edited by fishermccann

I guess nobody here travels or watches Border Security.

To me, that's another very touchy subject when it comes to the whole topic of searches...

They have the rights to do and check as much as they like and will even pull your whole car apart in front

of you for no reason at all.

Just sayin...

I guess nobody here travels or watches Border Security.

To me, that's another very touchy subject when it comes to the whole topic of searches...

They have the rights to do and check as much as they like and will even pull your whole car apart in front

of you for no reason at all.

Just sayin...

They follow another set of laws

I let 2 CO's come aboard and search my boat on Lake Windermere near Chapleau. They found a single empty beer can below the deck in a rubber maid and they said my buddies coffee mug smelt like booze. I didn't think we were going to hear the end of it. They went on and on and threatened to write us tickets.

what the hell did you expect? If a cop finds a beer can under the seat of your car do you think he's going to say "have a nice day".

How is it different in a boat?

The point of the story was, I voluntarily let them come aboard and check. They find a single beer can buried below I didn't even know was there and then they get an attitude.

It's kinda damned if you do, damned if you don't. If I didn't let them search I'm pretty sure they would have gotten an attitude too.

And yeah, I think a boat on Lake Windermere is a little different than a beer can under a car seat driving down the 401.

How do you charge someone for fishing without a license and operating a boat without proper safety equipment when they are on the highway?

That's just a money grab hoping they don't go to court.

""A recent three day enforcement blitz along Highway 105 between Ear Falls and Vermilion Bay resulted in 25-charges and 52-warnings...""

Doesn't really say it was a roadside check just that the blitz was "along Highway 105"...

Here's the thing... The more people who don't understand the law and their charters rights and voluntarily allow LEO's to perform otherwise illegal searches, the more LEO's are going to feel they have the right to perform illegal searches. I have no issue at all with cooperating with LEO's but the fact that a single small infraction can and will lead to escalations in both attitude and further searches/detainment is why people need to understand their rights as Canadian citizens.

The single piece of fish, the empty beer can examples are all examples of people not exercising their rights that have led to escalations. The comparison of a beer can in a boat versus being on a highway in a car has no bearing as the law is in regards to "operation of a motor vehicle". In the eyes of the law, a car, atv, boat, airplane are all the same.

Learn and exercise your rights. Be polite and respectful at all times and you will generally have positive experiences with any LEO that you encounter. If the LEO is an arse, you have recourse after any escalation provided you know your rights. If an LEO searches you without probable cause and does find something the likelihood of a conviction is very low.

A dried out, old empty beer can isn't the same as "open alcohol in a motor vehicle".

Before the Minden beer store moved, I used to take my boat to return empties and pick up beer. I was never stopped but I didn't anticipate any trouble if I was.

Yes, it's the potential for things escalating if they do a search. But if you tell them they can't search, I bet they will be very finicky about the stuff they can ask to see.

So, I will continue to be polite and let them search.

A dried out, old empty beer can isn't the same as "open alcohol in a motor vehicle".

Before the Minden beer store moved, I used to take my boat to return empties and pick up beer. I was never stopped but I didn't anticipate any trouble if I was.

Yes, it's the potential for things escalating if they do a search. But if you tell them they can't search, I bet they will be very finicky about the stuff they can ask to see.

So, I will continue to be polite and let them search.

Any open alcohol container is probable grounds. If you weren't drinking it then, you most certainly did at some point. Speaks to character and behaviour in the eyes of an LEO. Obviously someone at some point had open alcohol in that vehicle regardless of how you want to justify it.

If an LEO asks to look through my vehicle I simply ask them what was the reason you pulled me over for and what are you looking for in regards to the reason you pulled me over. That ends the search request in a real polite manner. They cannot search you for anything not directly related to why you were stopped and they cannot stop you without probable cause. If you get pulled over for a moving violation and they ask you to look through your vehicle and you consent, anything is fair game at that point. If you get pulled over for a moving violation and they search your vehicle without your consent, anything they find will end up being inadmissible in court.

Feel free to not exercise your rights but you should know more than anyone based on your beer can experience, it's not worth the aggravation and possible consequences to voluntarily allow an LEO to search. You have to realise their only purpose of a search is to find a law infraction and charge you. They don't search to see what cool new lure you have or how nicely you vacuumed your vehicle out. Nothing good can possibly come from a search, especially a voluntary search.

Edited by jonasdry

Any open alcohol container is probable grounds. If you weren't drinking it then, you most certainly did at some point. Speaks to character and behaviour in the eyes of an LEO. Obviously someone at some point had open alcohol in that vehicle regardless of how you want to justify it.

That is not true. I have used my boat to transport empty beer cans that somebody else had drank from while on dry land.

Just because there is an empty beer can in the boat, it doesn't mean that somebody drank from the can while they were on the boat. If this particular example, the can was in a Rubbermaid container. The empty can could have been placed in the Rubbermaid container before the container was placed in the boat.

That is not true. I have used my boat to transport empty beer cans that somebody else had drank from while on dry land.

Just because there is an empty beer can in the boat, it doesn't mean that somebody drank from the can while they were on the boat. If this particular example, the can was in a Rubbermaid container. The empty can could have been placed in the Rubbermaid container before the container was placed in the boat.

A single can is a lot different than a bag/box full of empties.

Obviously someone at some point had open alcohol in that vehicle regardless of how you want to justify it.

No. I can boat to my campsite, park the boat, set up the tent, drink, then bring my empties out the next day. I can pick up an empty beer can from my boat from a litter bug. I can go to the beer store in my boat.

Wouldn't you agree jonasdry, that not allowing them to search, could escalate things because it pisses them off and they are going to be far more critical about the stuff they can check?