Fish and Game Spot Check

4x4bassin

i for one do not want to live in a police state

you have a boat, so they can check anywhere any time

you shop can they search you for stealing any time

you walk can they stop you anytime they want to make sure you follow the rules

you have a long gun can they come into your home night and day any time they want for no reason other then you have a gun

i say no, but you are welcome to spread eagle for them, i will resist

I can't imagine what it's like living life worried that at any moment I might be checked when driving down the highway because I'm towing a boat, or stopped while walking out of Shoppers Drug Mart, or walking down the street worrying about being harassed/arrested by the cops, or cops coming into my house and taking my rifles/shotguns.

Paranoia is running rampant!

Are you going to be the guy we all see on the news going ape ***** because the MNR is conducting a spot check? lol

Edited by BillM

It is a law, the LEO has a right to check, don't like that law, run for parliament and try to change it. Nobody is spreading anything, but defy their right to check at your own peril, otherwise you just might be spreading.

Section 9 of the Canadian Charter of Rights states "Everyone has the right not to be arbitrarily detained or imprisoned." which means that without suspicion of committing a crime you cannot be held.

Section 8 of the Canadian Charter of Rights states "Everyone has the right to be secure against unreasonable search or seizure." which means that without suspicion of committing a crime you cannot be searched.

Your statement that an LEO has a right to check anything without reasonable grounds to suspect you of committing a crime is spreading misinformation and falsehoods.

Explain how that is affected by post #103?

Post 103 includes section 89:

Inspection of conveyance

89 (1) A conservation officer may stop a conveyance if he or she has reasonable grounds to believe that stopping the conveyance would assist in determining whether there is compliance with this Act or the regulations. 2009, c. 33, Sched. 22, s. 2 (22).

Operator to stop

(2) On the conservation officers signal to stop, the operator of the conveyance shall immediately stop and produce for inspection any wildlife, invertebrate, fish, document or other thing requested by the officer for the purpose of this Act. 1997, c. 41, s. 89 (2); 2009, c. 33, Sched. 22, s. 2 (23).

Reasonable grounds... key words right there. They must believe you may be breaking a law in order to inspect you. The simple fact of towing a boat, or having fishing gear or fishing stickers or anything of the type is not "reasonable grounds". If they or someone "saw" you doing something wrong and reported it, that is reasonable grounds. Simply driving with a boat in tow is 100% arbitrary. Checking for a license is 100% permissible because while you are fishing you are required by law to have a fishing license. Never during a license check are you being searched or detained. If the CO notices something illegal while they are doing the license check, now they have reasonable grounds for detainment and search/seizure.

Edited by jonasdry

Thanks for proving my point, it is all in the wording.I read it and it says,......... has RESONABLE GROUNDS TO BELIEVE THAT STOPPING THE CONVEYANCE WOULD ASSIST IN DETERMINING WHETHER THERE IS COMPLIANCE........ Does anyone believe that stopping the vehicle would not assist to determine compliance? Pretty hard to look in the boat while it is moving down the road. Reasonable grounds, NOT to believe that they were in compliance with the law, BUT reasonable grounds to expect that stopping said vehicle would aid in determining compliance.

Edited by fishermccann

shall immediately stop and produce for inspection any wildlife, invertebrate, fish, document or other thing requested by the officer for the purpose of this Act.

and it still does not give them the right to search, you have to show them and fish you have if you have them

Without a doubt ,according to law, it does give them the right to stop you. I guess that is why they have the game and fish sniffing dogs with them , for what is in the storage that you don't show them. Also on Page 32 of the hunting regs , gives the power to search without a warrant, in circumstances requiring immediate action. I think that if you are about to drive away with any evidence of your law breaking ,that would constitute a circumstance requiring immediate action, and you will be searched without a warrant.

Edited by fishermccann

I hate the idea of a "police state", much like Terry

But I will pull over, it's a minor inconvenience.

The term "probable cause" is the real problem

That basically means anything goes. Legally it's the most idiotic term IMO

Edited by manitoubass2

Yup, it could just be to the CO, that something smelled fishy.

It very well could be.and by fishy, maybe you beat his high school baseball team 20 years ago?

His probable cause is you are towing a boat.

That's rediculous

Edited by manitoubass2

If you say go ahead search, they probable won't ,say no and they will for sure. Something must be up requiring immediate action.

Yes, excercising your freedoms lol (or lack thereof)

But.... Like I said, it's a minor inconvenience, no worries for me.

....still haven't found my modified .50 cal so that's cool

no your the ape

and i am not afraid, i dont sit up at night worrying , i dont wear a tin foil hat. i just dont like seeing morons encouraging a police state

Yeah, we're the morons in all of this, lol

Post 103 includes section 89:

Reasonable grounds... key words right there. They must believe you may be breaking a law in order to inspect you. The simple fact of towing a boat, or having fishing gear or fishing stickers or anything of the type is not "reasonable grounds". If they or someone "saw" you doing something wrong and reported it, that is reasonable grounds. Simply driving with a boat in tow is 100% arbitrary. Checking for a license is 100% permissible because while you are fishing you are required by law to have a fishing license. Never during a license check are you being searched or detained. If the CO notices something illegal while they are doing the license check, now they have reasonable grounds for detainment and search/seizure.

What other 'reasonable grounds' do you think the MNR should use for a highway check? Eeny, meeny, miny, moe?

Edited by BillM

Part 2 of that law which allows a CO to stop someone is in direct reference to part 1 where the CO has reasonable grounds to inspect someone. That is why it is part 2 and not part 1. The CO has to have reasonable grounds to inspect you at which point they can use part 2 to stop you. They can't stop you for an arbitrary reason and then decide to inspect you to "fish" for an offense.

Bear in mind, no law can supersede your charter rights. Your charter rights can not be infringed by the government or any law they enact. So once again fishermccann, an LEO does not have a "right" to stop you or inspect you without reasonable grounds to do so for a fish and wildlife violation. If you choose to voluntarily stop and voluntarily be searched, giving up your basic rights, that is your choice but you are not required by law to do so.

When I have passed a checkpoint with my boat I have never been chased or stopped. If I am chased and stopped and have to explain my right to not be arbitrarily detained or searched it will be a bad day for that officer.

What other 'reasonable grounds' do you think the MNR should use for a highway check? Eeny, meeny, miny, moe?

They are fishing for suckers who don't know their own charter rights. People who think they are required to stop and be checked but don't realise there is no legal requirement for them to do so.

Edit: reasonable grounds, if you really don't know is the some sort of evidence that you have violated a law. Does towing a boat seem like evidence that you have broken a law? That would be much akin to saying you may be a rapist because you have a tally-whacker. Doesn't work now does it?

Edited by jonasdry