fast or xfast for spinning rod - jigging, hair jigs, shaky heads, etc.

Tjames09

Looking for a somewhat technique specific rod, for bass and walleye. Would be used for vertical jigging, ripping hair jigs, shaky heads. I have another rod Ill continue to use for t-rigs, wacky rigs, and drop shotting.

Not sure to go with fast or xfast. I find the kawarthas weeds pose a problem for fast tip and it often isnt enough stout to pull the lure through the weeds effectively.

I find its not the action/taper that is the key for ripping bucktails, its more the power. I use a 6'6" fast action MH to rip through the weeds. For jigging on the edge (not through the weeds) then a fast, M is good. For Bass in heavy cover, I use a baitcaster for accuracy and stronger drag to get the fish out.

For what it's worth I use a fast action 6 foot rod for vertical jigging or tossing ball head jigs. I don't know if it's better or worse than any other but it works for me. I fish everything from light 1/8 -1/4 ounce jigs to 3/4 ouncers when I go to the Detroit River. It seems to do the job!

If you're going to use just for ripping jigs/ jigging, personally I would use a med power fast action rod around the 6'6" mark.

That is my set up right there. I also have a 7' I use from time to time with larger jigs.

Sorry, this was more meant for walleye then bass. I have a casting rod setup for flipping heavy jigs into cover. this was for light jigs/vertical jigging and hair jigs.

Actually I spent a lot of time using small baits like 1/8 ounce hair jigs, the reason for that rod and this reel?

http://i60.tinypic.com/rct4ig.jpg

I could put 17 - 20 pound test mono line on it and still cast very well with a small, light lure, the heavier rod gave me the power to pull bigger fish out of junk.

6-6'6 m xf

If using croix , feel the rod out as they can be stout in those ranges. You won't be happy with a F unless u like that tip pop and microsecond loss of connection with your bait (vertical jigging). I don't mind it though.

You need two different setups for vertical jigging vs. ripping. Ripping requires a more stout rod, the taper doesn't matter as much because you are ripping up vigorously every time. For vertical jigging the XF taper will help as Buick14 mentions. I would recommend you start with a vertical jigging rod and try it for ripping as well. Then try your bass rod (baitcast will work) for ripping as well to get a feel for what think would be best.

You need two different setups for vertical jigging vs. ripping. Ripping requires a more stout rod, the taper doesn't matter as much because you are ripping up vigorously every time. For vertical jigging the XF taper will help as Buick14 mentions. I would recommend you start with a vertical jigging rod and try it for ripping as well. Then try your bass rod (baitcast will work) for ripping as well to get a feel for what think would be best.

Thanks for the advice.

Yeah, what he said ^

Ripping, and jigging for walleye are two totally different things that require two totally different set ups.

I use a MH fast for ripping, ML fast for jigging and rigging live bait. One set up isn't going to do both well.

S.