secret lure for bass

Rizzo

We bought a cottage this past winter near Hanover, and I finally had a chance on the long week-end to try out the fishing there. It has pike, largemouth and various panfish. Pulled away from the dock and was excited to see some nice largies in the shallows...to not disturb them I headed out to 10-15 feet of water and trolled with a red devil (the ultimate pike lure). Well, I did get a wack of pike...but it turns out the trusty old red devil is also quite the bass lure! In a couple hours of trolling probably got 15 pike but also several largemouth. Most of these were quite small...not in spawning mode (too young, out in 12 feet of water). Never caught a largemouth on a spoon before. Anyone else ever find this bizarre pattern?

The "real" Daredevils are quite heavy lures, made of brass, plated and painted. They cast a mile and the weight helps get them down when you want, or you can buzz them over the top of the cabbage later in the year. Great lures and the tried and true red and white and five of diamonds are still catching em after 75 years plus. My next best pike lure of choice is a silver williams wabler. Lighter but allows for a great slow, darting presentation.

...funny...when I was commenting on the weight and that's its not like the "light" spoons...I had the Williams Wobler in mind. Been close to 40 years since I used a Williams Wobbler though...didn't know if anyone would know the reference...apparently one person would've!

It might be true they're not on beds BUT...remember the water level is way up and those beds last year in 4-6' of water are now not visible and are in 7-8' of water in some cases. Just saying...it's the end of May...

Yes but those bass likely wouldn't be spawning around last year's nests in 7-8', they'd likely move inward a bit to maintain similar spawning depths

I will agree that it has its place as a multi species lure, however most times it gets wacked by bass due to timing imo. Other than a jigging spoon, I would steer clear of spoons in most lakes for bass as there are far more productive baits . That's an opinion though...

I will agree that it has its place as a multi species lure, however most times it gets wacked by bass due to timing imo. Other than a jigging spoon, I would steer clear of spoons in most lakes for bass as there are far more productive baits . That's an opinion though...

I'd agree.

Same with other species too