Ottawa River near Petawawa?

Oiler3535

Hi all! I'm moving to Petawawa in July and managed to get a house with frontage right on the Ottawa River. As such, I'm looking to start fishing more often. Right now I just do some light canoe fishing for walleye and bass. So I'm curious if anybody knows some good spots on the River around the islands near the mouth of the Petawawa River. My place is just East of the mouth. I'm happy to fish for anything, though have never caught anything bigger than maybe a ten pound pike so would really like to try Muskie (once I get a proper boat lol, don't think canoe fishing Muskie would be smart). I'd love to try Sturgeon too, but don't think that's allowed on the Ottawa even with release. Thanks!

I think you'll love living on the river. It's a busy enough body of water and I think just simply observing what everyone else is doing while youre out there will give you a general idea of patterns and you can go from there. Its a productive walleye fishery.

Hi all! I'm moving to Petawawa in July and managed to get a house with frontage right on the Ottawa River. As such, I'm looking to start fishing more often. Right now I just do some light canoe fishing for walleye and bass. So I'm curious if anybody knows some good spots on the River around the islands near the mouth of the Petawawa River. My place is just East of the mouth. I'm happy to fish for anything, though have never caught anything bigger than maybe a ten pound pike so would really like to try Muskie (once I get a proper boat lol, don't think canoe fishing Muskie would be smart). I'd love to try Sturgeon too, but don't think that's allowed on the Ottawa even with release. Thanks!

I live on the Ottawa River, about 8 km downriver towards Pembroke from your location, I launch my boat from Petawawa Point. As Joeytier said, its a productive (and underrated) walleye fishery.

There are great spots somewhat close to your location, but if you are limited to a canoe, I'd suggest hitting the Petawawa River (the deeper outlet with a 1/4 oz jig & minnow for walleye, the shoreline structure, timber and occasional weedy area for smallies, up to the first set of rapids). Topwaters are a blast on a calm morning here.

Directly across from Petawawa Point is a maze of smaller islands with various deeper areas between them, these have been great walleye producers for me. Be very careful crossing the main channel however, it can be an absolute gong-show on a busy day (don't look to the OPP marine unit for any help, they are more concerned with serious issues such as having a stupid whistle or, heaven forbid, someone having Satan's alcohol on board than they are concerned about enforcing any common sense). The shallower points of these islands are also great areas for bass.

If you follow the shoreline east from Petawawa Point, there are many good areas for smallies along here.

Feel free to message me if I can help more. Its a great area of the Ottawa River.

Thanks! Limited to a canoe for now, once final closing costs and everything else shakes out I'm hoping I'll have enough to convince my wife to let me get a boat. Shore was so flooded the past month I'm not sure my frontage will be good enough for a dock and boat, but we'll see (unlike most we weren't anywhere close to flooding at least). I know the neighbours have a small dock (well underwater when we were there) so should be able to at least get an aluminum dingy with an outboard in there. I kind of figured I'd hang out one morning at the launch at the point and ask the friendlier locals about spots around the islands. I have found a nice depth chart so that should help too.

Edited by Oiler3535

Lol. I had almost that conversation. Went to family event and was talking with her dad and brothers about looking for boats and a canoe. Driving back she turns and looks at me, and says, "so we're getting a boat too?" I laughed and said, yup! Eventually. Start with a canoe. I need to watch the Facebook yard sale pages more. Missed a couple of them on there for under 300 bucks and both looked in good shape.