New camper! HELP!

pike slayer

Hi guys, I just bought a 2006 jayco baja tent trailer. I loaded it up with my 4wheeler on the front deck and I have Wayyy to much weight on the tongue of the truck. It just about bottoms out my truck. Would a weight distrubtion hitch help enough? Or what else can I do? I have a 2004 nissan titan.

https://www.jayco.com/tools/archive/2006-baja-ct

Theres the specs I have the 10y. My 4wheeler weighs 700lbs.

FB_IMG_1495249665170.jpg

FB_IMG_1495249672339.jpg

It's a toy hauler pop up camper. It's made to haul a 4 wheeler or dirt bikes on the front.

Yes they are tongue heavy, therefore one installs a load distribution hitch just as you would when hauling a heavier bumper tow hard side camper.

My buddy has a 21' hard side and pulls with a 1/2 ton. He picked up an equalizing hitch and it's much better.

Its an interesting setup, can you put the 4 wheeler in the back of the truck and throw some other stuff on the trailer? Id bet the truck would ride way better that way.

Yeah , way too much weight on the tongue regardless of the truck suspension, not going to tow well. Getting 4 wheeler in the box ahead of the axle would help and put the displaced stuff in the box in the trailer if possible. I doubt you could move the axle on the trailer enough to compensate.

Ya that's what I did for this weekend. I put my atv in the box of the truck and tossed all my junk on the camper cargo deck and it did make a difference. But ya I want to correct the problem so I can haul it with the atv on the deck so I can put my junk under my tonneau cover to keep it out of the elements. I'm pretty sure my work has a weight distrubtion hitch. I might borrow and see if that does the trick.

I was always taught the tongue weight should be 10 to 15 % of the trailer weight :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

edit: I know from personal experience that too light a tongue weight will cause a fishtailing condition, forget the symptom of too heavy a tongue weight.

Edited by dave524

Sweet trailer. Did you get than from the guy down queen St. Equalizer hitch should work. Gotta love the ground clearance in that trailer. I always wanted one. Check the specs on what you

Can put on the deck too. That should balance better than that I think

Edited by Dara