Cleaning out bilge area on a Lund ProV

b_cdot

2007 Baron.. mine is almost spotless, what have you been washing / dumping in there to wonder?

I was looking down in the bilge area through my battery compartment and it just looked like a grimey accumulation. I bought the boat used and I could tell the previous owner didn't take the best care of it. I just want to give it a good cleaning so my bilge can run in top form instead of sucking out junk.

I haven't been dumping my fish frying oil in there or anything.... I can imagine dirt, fishing line, crumbs, small leaves. This might be a good follow up to the post about hosing out the inside of the boat.

Edited by b_cdot

You can buy "bilge cleaner" at CTC... would suspect nothing more than dumping it in .. adding water and letting it soak (scrub what you can reach) and then pump out (or pull drain plug) into a bucket.. not the lake!

Edited by irishfield

I used Triton industrial bilge cleaner from CT. My bilge pump seems to be working well but it still looks like crap down threre. It's a tight space to get to in my boat and with the cleaner setting I couldn't spend any time scrubbing with the fumes.

I just read a tip last week. Use a wet piece of swimming noodle and soak up all the left over oil and skunge in all the hard to get to places after rinsing with bilge cleaner which is nothing more than Spray 9 cleaner. I did the same thing to dry my livewells the other day.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Thanks for thoughts, I had a friend of mine just tell me to use a bunch of dawn dish. Apparently it works well at loosening up any sticky stuff (oil/grease). When I looked into the bilge area it was definitely full of sticky looking dirt. Unfortunately its hard to reach all the spots with my battery out. Scrubbed what I could looks a bit better but the suds didnt touch anything i couldnt reach. Better than nothing i guess, Ran some suds through the bilge too and some of the water was pretty dirty.

Thanks for thoughts, I had a friend of mine just tell me to use a bunch of dawn dish. Apparently it works well at loosening up any sticky stuff (oil/grease). When I looked into the bilge area it was definitely full of sticky looking dirt. Unfortunately its hard to reach all the spots with my battery out. Scrubbed what I could looks a bit better but the suds didnt touch anything i couldnt reach. Better than nothing i guess, Ran some suds through the bilge too and some of the water was pretty dirty.

http://www.sheddaquarium.org/nextgen/dawn-helps.html

They use Dawn to clean wildlife affected by oil spills.