Abec Bearings

guastels

Has anyone upgraded to Abec bearings on baitcaseters? What benefits have you noticed if any? I understand there are Abec 5/7/9 and curious as to what the difference is from those with experience using any of them.

Thx

Ceramic abec 7 all the way.

You can bulk order from China very cheap.

It's funny, I first figured out bearings through Skateboards, turns out its totally applicable to fishing reels.

You will not beat ceramic bearings, tough as nails and smooth as trunkular trees

Edited by manitoubass2

I switched out my stock Shimano bearings on an 201e7 and D101s for ABEC7 Ceramics. Did a spin test on a stopwatch before and after and did not notice a measurable difference. On casting couldn't tell either other than now the reels are much noisier on the cast.

They'd probably make a great figit spinner though.

Tried a set of Boca Abec 7 Orange seals in an older Revo S and they do make a difference. For what it is worth, you realty only need to change out the spool bearings.

With the revo S, the most noticeable difference was the ease of cast to get just as far of a cast. You don't really have to whip the bait out there which is nice and isn't as hard on your body. I did notice a slight gain in distance.

All in all, Although it was an upgrade, I didn't find it worth it. I got similar results with just flushing the stock bearings and adding a drop of oil.

They are much louder and a drop of oil will both quiet them down as well as slow them down a bit.

Are bocas Swiss bearings? They should be darn near silent

Also, are they shielded or non shielded?

Pretty much all ceramic bearings are noisy, although they do quiet down a bit once broken in. SS bearings for me next time.

ManitouBass,

Boca is a brand name that was rather large a few years ago. They make different levels of bearings with different types of shields.

The Abec 7 orange seals are ceramic bearings with a orange gasket in place of the shield. They are easily popped off for cleaning and either left off or popped back on.

You can check them out here:

Bocabearings.com

I miss the 80's :) :)

I don't, hated Mullets but do miss skateboarding on death traps in the 60's. Steel wheels just wide enough to fit in any crack in the road, the hardwood boards were 6" to 8" wide, maybe. I hear if I still had ours they are worth a few bucks to collectors. How much Rick?

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I don't, hated Mullets but do miss skateboarding on death traps in the 60's. Steel wheels just wide enough to fit in any crack in the road, the hardwood boards were 6" to 8" wide, maybe. I hear if I still had ours they are worth a few bucks to collectors. How much Rick?

Hahaha, oh depends on the board. I have several from the 2000s already worth $500-$600

Many of those older boards would easily be in the thousands

My father finally chucked them a few years ago from the family garage. Oh no. I thought they were safe there. He also gave away a game ball I left in the rec room signed by OJ Simpson, my fault and no one elses. My cousin couldn't believe it was OK by me to give him the ball he has been eyeing since 73'. What am I going to say, I want it back after he gave it to his grandson? Oh well.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

My father finally chucked them a few years ago from the family garage. Oh no. I thought they were safe there. He also gave away a game ball I left in the rec room signed by OJ Simpson, my fault and no one elses. My cousin couldn't believe it was OK by me to give him the ball he has been eyeing since 73'. What am I going to say, I want it back after he gave it to his grandson? Oh well.

Skateboarding is a weird culture. They really appreciate the past, and will spend untold amounts of money on select "historical" pieces, be it boards, shoes, photos or adds.

Go on eBay and look for ès footwear Eric koston 1's

Also, I feel your pain about things being given away lol

My great uncle was a card collector, when he passed in a car accident it was passed on to me.

When I went to work in grande prairie I stored it at my mom's. She needed more room and stored it at a friend's. Oh my

I had Every rookie card mint from Fran tarkenton to Michael Jordan etc(in fact I had about 50 Michael Jordan and Wayne Gretzky rookie cards)

Hard one to accept

Edited by manitoubass2