Fishing Lake Muskoka Pike Open this weekend

Hi OFC,

I'm fishing the Muksoka Bass Masters Lake Muskoka Pike Open next weekend with a long time fishing buddy. This will be our first tournament and would love to get some general tips on tournament fishing (i.e. how to best use your time, respecting other competitors, using weigh stations, etc). Hoping to get some pointers that might help shape our plan of attack.

Should also add that this wont be my first time fishing Lake Muskoka - I had a cottage there from 2002-2010 so I have a few fishing locations I'm familiar with and know the whole lake pretty well.

Would also like to know if their are other members on the forum that will be participating?

As always, thanks for your help.

FF17

http://muskokapike.webs.com/

Never fished a tournament up north, go over the rules carefully, all the one I fished stateside took a dim view of any infractions.

Do they make fish bags for pike? Bass sized ones seem a bit small to me for a large pike?

" First boat on a spot has priority. No boat may fish within 50 feet of another boat. " Crowding another boat is frowned upon, our distances I believe were even larger.

http://muskokapike.webs.com/

Never fished a tournament up north, go over the rules carefully, all the one I fished stateside took a dim view of any infractions.

Do they make fish bags for pike? Bass sized ones seem a bit small to me for a large pike?

" First boat on a spot has priority. No boat may fish within 50 feet of another boat. " Crowding another boat is frowned upon, our distances I believe were even larger.

Thanks OhioFisherman,

I've gone over the rules a few times to make sure I know them well. I also have live well in my boat that will hold quite a few large pike.

The rule you mentioned about first boat on a spot having priority bring up a question - if there's a bay that would allow two boats to fish 50 feet apart, is that fair game? Based on the rules it seems like it is, but would I upset another boat if I entered into the same bay and fished 50ft away?

FishFinder, one of the things you learn fishing tournaments regularly is that there is a lot of different personalities among the competitors, some seem to go out of their way to find things to whine about. As long as you are within the rules it should be no problem though, I always made sure I was a distance away.

Tournament time keeper, make sure your clocks jive, make sure you allow enough time to get back to the weigh in point to avoid penalties.

I'm fishing Muskoka pike it's a great tournament.

It's a rotation most guys don't fish the whole bay just certain areas. If somebody is at a spot just move on and come back.

80 boats in this lake just disappear

Nice, I'll see you out there. I'll be in a black/tan 17ft princecraft with merc 115hp and merc 4hp kicker. Good luck!

Looks like a good list according to the website, 53 teams.

My advice would be to have a map or route in mind with a timeline in mind for each place. Thats what I did for GBay, had a route, and stuck to it. That would be without knowing the lake or spots that hold fish. If you know some key spots, Id drive right to them.

As for the Bay fishing, Im not a tournament guy, but just out of respect Id want to be further than 50ft away. Your lines shouldnt be able to cast anywhere near each other. Some bays are pretty big though, and can definitely hold more than one boat.

While all you guys are fishing Muskoka, I think I might hit a few honey holes in Gbay :) Let's hope this weather has them turned on. Goodluck out there! Some cows in that lake.

Edited by BillM

" how to best use your time " LOL catch fish! If you have spots that you have caught decent pike at before this time of year they may be good starting points. A milk run, have a plan to reduce running time, lures in the water will catch more than lures in the boat traveling.

Mix in something different as a lure, if most are throwing spoons or in line spinners? Try a crankbait or safety pin style spinner bait. If you're fishing shoreline weeds or structure? make a cast to the wrong side of the boat once in a while, you may find a fish moving in or holding.

You're fishing with a partner, throw different lures, and don't be slow to change if one lure is catching fish and another is not. Try to cover more than one depth with your partner, no point in both of you beating the same water column.

A seemingly slight difference in lure style or color and make a difference for bass, not sure if that applies to pike.

The pike where preforming at a very high level.

One followed by bait I stop, it stops, Then it bimps my bait mouth closed backs up bimps it again mouth closed. Then gets agitated swims small circle and bimps it hard mouth closed. Then just swims away.

Had 2 other nose down on bait in the stare down. My boat was just barely moving and boat got 2 close. The other just left.

Couple other follows. These where all 27-30 inches fish. Usually in this tournament all insignificant so no worry's.

Took a 30.5 inch avg to win.

I think pike should be major tournament specie, tough as nails in livewell, like smallmouth they do wack a doddle things to mess with you. Just a ton of fun.

That was my experience.

we got skunked unfortunately but if we had of caught every fish we saw, we probably would have one the tournament. Saw 6 or 7 fish with the biggest looking like 40"+ (I think big fish was 42") but couldn't get any to bite. Chased a few around some bays but nothing..so frustrating.

Still a good day to be out but would have like to have had something to show for it. Went back to my cottage and launched the boat there...caught 6 pike the rest of the weekend including 2 at 9lbs. I guess I should stick to a lake I know well...Muskoka can be tough