Smoking Fish

Sinker

And I don't mean rolling them in papers....

I have a new smoker. Its a masterbuilt electric. Pretty cool, but I know nothing about smoking fish....except eating it!!

Lets hear some methods, recipes, special brines...whatever you have to share.

I have some whities I want to smoke, and I will have some lakers to do after the long weekend.

Where do I start?

S.

Lots of recipes out there so you won't have trouble. I am partial to the sweeter ones. Seems to work better with hot smoking. One word of advice. Follow the directions closely. You really do need to let the fish dry out properly after brining and before smoking. It makes a difference.

I got one last year and love it! I tried a liquid brine but switched to a dry brine. I use 2 cups brown sugar and half a cup of salt and a bunch of other spices. I pack it around and over the salmon chunks and let it sit for 24 hours in the fridge. It turns to liquid anyways over night. I rinse off the brine real well and let the pieces dry till they are tacky. Smoke them at the lowest setting for 3 - 4 hours and they turn out great. I use fairly large chunks so if you want 'indian candy' slice the salmon thinner and smoke for longer. For the last half hour I rub each piece with maple whiskey and paprika or Cool Running's jerk spice.

Sometimes it's better to start with the basic kosher or pickling salt without adding any water, sprinkle over the fillets and refrigerate over night, rinse and pat dry, into the smoker for 4-6 hours depending on outside temps. Alder / applewood seem best suited for smoking fish. Some guys throw the whole spice rack in there and you don't know if you're eating fish or boot flaps.

Brine: Soy (500ML), water (2L), honey (3 spoons), sweet chili tai (1/4 jar), pinch of brown sugar and then diced jalapeno peppers. *edit to add* oh and I boil the brine and then let cool before I use it so the brine is well mixed.

The wood used for smoking is key. I like apple & black cherry in the smoker together

When I make a brine I keep some for a misting/spray bottle. Part way through the smoking process I'll give the fish a mist. The fish turns out super moist and not like a dry jerky. Also I don't pat it dry I put it right in the smoker after it's sat for 24hrs in the brine. My old unit had a large drip pan and I was learning at the time but if I was going to make some anytime soon that's how I'd be doing it. Big Cliff has eaten it this way and said it was great, so has young_one (or what ever name he's using now).

Edited by GBW

Same directions as GBW but I go over board on the Thai sauce (No Frills) and brown sugar plus extra habanero

I like my smoked fish sweet with a bite on a cracker with some great wine and cheese.

I bought lots of trout fillets on sale at metro to help with the experiment brines

DSCF9449.jpg

Sinker

here is a link to a manual from the Little Chief smoker.

http://www.uncledavesenterprise.com/file/garden/storage/Little%20Chief%20Book.pdf

I used to have a Luhr Jensen Little Chief smoker and used the 'easy cure' recipe from this manual for smoking trout and whitefish and i found it to be really good. You can add spices to suit your taste but it is good as is. Oh and i used brown sugar rather than white and used pickling salt. There are a number of other good recipes in there as well. My dad still uses a recipe very similar in his old pizza oven converted to a smoker, using poplar as a fuel and they turn out excellent.

Dave

Same directions as GBW but I go over board on the Thai sauce (No Frills) and brown sugar plus extra habanero

I like my smoked fish sweet with a bite on a cracker with some great wine and cheese.

I bought lots of trout fillets on sale at metro to help with the experiment brines

DSCF9449.jpg

So how does the smoke part work on these homemade jobies? They look simple enough... do you just put a tin of wood chips on that electric element?

A metal frying pan that can take heat (remove handle) for long times here when I had mine. Wood must be soaked for a long time to not 'be a fire' but smoke and smolder. And a big drip tray between the heat and food shelves. Also works to add water in said tray to provide moisture to the meat you smoke. My last one was a gas unit so you can dial the heat in. The hot plate unit in my pic warms then cools then warms and cools... so took longer to make meals. If a steady heat all times then good to go in a decent time.

A metal frying pan that can take heat (remove handle) for long times here when I had mine. Wood must be soaked for a long time to not 'be a fire' but smoke and smolder. And a big drip tray between the heat and food shelves. Also works to add water in said tray to provide moisture to the meat you smoke. My last one was a gas unit so you can dial the heat in. The hot plate unit in my pic warms then cools then warms and cools... so took longer to make meals. If a steady heat all times then good to go in a decent time.

A small cast iron pan works great.

One trick I learned ed if you are doing a wet brine, put the fish in a zip lock bag, pour I your brine, squeeze the air out and seal the bag, that way all your fish gets exposed.

I also use a dry brine, made up of 2/3 dark brown sugar, 1/3 salt. The amount of each depends on how much meat you need to cover; but that ratio works well, not to salty or to sweat. Do not use table (iodized) salt; either Kosher or rock salt.

My other spices are usually garlic (freshly minced or unsalted powder), lemon pepper, black pepper or cayenne and a splash of soya sauce; just enough to bind all the ingredients. Adjust the amounts to the size of the batch and your taste.

Give the fillets a good wash in cold water and pat dry. I usually scale the fish, rather then skinning; I think the meat stays much more moist?

Generously cover the fillets on all sides with the brine mixture. Put the fillets in a non-metallic container, cove and put into the fridge for 24 -36 hours. Draining off the liquid that has formed and redistribute the brine, over the fillets where needed. Using a metal container (stainless or not) may give the fish a tinny flavor. After the brine has done its job, rinse the fillets in cold water. I then soak the fillets in cold water for a couple of hours; changing the water numerous times; this will pull more of the salt out.

Pat dry the fillets, sprinkle with a bit more lemon pepper and allow to dry in a cool area until the fillets become tacky to the touch. I usual turn a fan on to blow over the fillets to speed this process up. In the drip/water tray I fill it with either lemon or orange juice; adds moisture and flavor.

Preheat the smoker to approx 175° - 185° and get the smoke rolling. I use a remote thermometer and place the probe into the center of the thickest fillet. Place the racks in the smoker, close the door and leave it alone. Every time you open the door to have a peek; you loose your smoke and heat. About half way through, I may give the fillets a mist of orange or lemon juice and top up the wood chips if needed. If whatever you're smoking gets a good wack of smoke for the first hour, hour and half; the meat won't take on a whole lot more smoke flavor after that. So if you're not seeing smoke for the last hour or so; don't worry about it. When the internal temp hits around 165° the fillets are done.

Now if you taste the fish right out of the smoker, it may taste like a lump of coal, don't worry or get pissed at your work. Let the fillets cool to room temp, then wrap them and put them in the fridge over night. The flavors will blend and dissipate and it'll be great.

If you want to serve the fish warm, the next day; I steam them in a double broiler. About 2 inches of water and juice mixture; bring that up to a light steam and then put the fish in the upper half and warm to taste.

Sorry for the long post.

Dan.

Edited by DanD

I use mine a lot. I also use it to cold smoke just started recently. You use a pellet tube and never turn the actual smoker on just use the cabinet . I use just salt and brown sugar on salmon let it soak over night . Then take it out and rinse . Set on the trays and let it sit in the fridge on the tray over night . Then in the smoker . Lights pellets until I get good smoke and let it go for like 8 hours . Need to keep it around 70-80 degrees .

If your on Facebook there is a masterbuilt group with a million recipes they smoke everything lol very good info on there .

This is the one I use, comes out great, some people over brine, to long in the brine and to much salt. This you can sit down and eat a lot and not complain about too salty.

Just did a batch this week, buddy's complain I should do more :worthy::)

8 to 10 pounds fillets, skin on, rinsed, patted dry, cut into small pieces. A good size is about 3″ x 6″, but smaller or slightly larger is fine. Small trout can be cleaned and smoked whole.
8 cups water
1/2 cups soy sauce
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup sea salt or kosher salt (Do not use iodized salt. It will impart an unpleasant flavor.)
1 tsp granulated garlic
Directions:

Mix brining ingredients together in a large bowl.
Pour mixture over fillets, making sure they are covered, or until they float.
Cover containers and marinate for about 6 hours in the refrigerator.
Remove fillets from brine, pat dry with paper towels, and arrange on racks to dry for about an hour – until a glaze forms on the surface of the fish.
Smoke fish according to your smoker’s directions with alder wood, mesquite, fruit tree or hickory chips. Check occasionally, keeping in mind that air temperature will influence smoking time. Typical smoking times range from 6 to 12 hours. A slightly wet product is best suited for many of the recipes we enjoy and for canning. For straight snacking, a drier product may be preferred.

i use the bradley smoker pucks in my smoker, they work amazingly well. i've got the little chief smoker. i'll putone or two pucks in at a time

I use mine a lot. I also use it to cold smoke just started recently. You use a pellet tube and never turn the actual smoker on just use the cabinet . I use just salt and brown sugar on salmon let it soak over night . Then take it out and rinse . Set on the trays and let it sit in the fridge on the tray over night . Then in the smoker . Lights pellets until I get good smoke and let it go for like 8 hours . Need to keep it around 70-80 degrees .

If your on Facebook there is a masterbuilt group with a million recipes they smoke everything lol very good info on there .

Cool, I will check out that group. Never thought to even look there! Thanks!

This is the one I use, comes out great, some people over brine, to long in the brine and to much salt. This you can sit down and eat a lot and not complain about too salty.

Just did a batch this week, buddy's complain I should do more :worthy::)

8 to 10 pounds fillets, skin on, rinsed, patted dry, cut into small pieces. A good size is about 3″ x 6″, but smaller or slightly larger is fine. Small trout can be cleaned and smoked whole.

8 cups water

1/2 cups soy sauce

1 1/2 cups brown sugar

1/2 cup sea salt or kosher salt (Do not use iodized salt. It will impart an unpleasant flavor.)

1 tsp granulated garlic

Directions:

Mix brining ingredients together in a large bowl.

Pour mixture over fillets, making sure they are covered, or until they float.

Cover containers and marinate for about 6 hours in the refrigerator.

Remove fillets from brine, pat dry with paper towels, and arrange on racks to dry for about an hour until a glaze forms on the surface of the fish.

Smoke fish according to your smokers directions with alder wood, mesquite, fruit tree or hickory chips. Check occasionally, keeping in mind that air temperature will influence smoking time. Typical smoking times range from 6 to 12 hours. A slightly wet product is best suited for many of the recipes we enjoy and for canning. For straight snacking, a drier product may be preferred.

Awesome! Thanks!

Water and salt brine

Smoked with fresh cedar right outta the bush

I wanna taste the fish, so I do mine more traditional

The resins in cedar smoke are highly carcinogenic from what I have read. Something worth looking into. Doesn't sound too nice.

The resins in cedar smoke are highly carcinogenic from what I have read. Something worth looking into. Doesn't sound too nice.

They are indeed

Cedar is to be respected

It's more the leafs however, not the wood

Edited by manitoubass2

And I don't mean rolling them in papers....

I have a new smoker. Its a masterbuilt electric. Pretty cool, but I know nothing about smoking fish....except eating it!!

Lets hear some methods, recipes, special brines...whatever you have to share.

I have some whities I want to smoke, and I will have some lakers to do after the long weekend.

Where do I start?

S.

feels like too much work to smoke the fish..... always just pan fry the fillet, or go costco get smoked steelhead ...