Blackflies/Mosquitos report near Parry Sound or surrounding area??

Newguy38

just starting...when it was cold last saturday there was none, but then the sun came out and the winds died down on sunday and sure enough the buggers were out. couple mossies, but the black flies are gonna be absolutely ridiculous this year with how wet everything is.

but simple answer, yes they have started...nowhere near their peak yet but its coming.

Edited by AKRISONER

@AKRISONER-appreciate the response. Going up soon and preparing for the worst. Last year was awful; the heat and bugs at the end of May produced a cumbersome environment for fishing on the shores. Are you near Parry Sound or surrounding region?

@AKRISONER-appreciate the response. Going up soon and preparing for the worst. Last year was awful; the heat and bugs at the end of May produced a cumbersome environment for fishing on the shores. Are you near Parry Sound or surrounding region?

Pointe au baril bud

if its between May 24 and the july long weekend, its a gong show. once the blackflies go towards the end of june i.e. bass opener, then the mosquitos will be absolutely horrendous. Trying to fish at dusk requires something to cover your mouth so that you arent chewing on the damn things.

Your only hope is to get somewhere that its windy during the day to get away from the black flies...dont feel ashamed wearing a bug net, anyone that calls you a wimp doesnt know how extreme it gets. unless you like bugs constantly going into your ears nose eyes and mouth there is no shame in a bug net during black fly season.

Edited by AKRISONER

Pointe au baril bud

if its between May 24 and the july long weekend, its a gong show. once the blackflies go towards the end of june i.e. bass opener, then the mosquitos will be absolutely horrendous. Trying to fish at dusk requires something to cover your mouth so that you arent chewing on the damn things.

Your only hope is to get somewhere that its windy during the day to get away from the black flies...dont feel ashamed wearing a bug net, anyone that calls you a wimp doesnt know how extreme it gets. unless you like bugs constantly going into your ears nose eyes and mouth there is no shame in a bug net during black fly season.

Thanks again! Never been there, anywhere in cottage country is incredible. We use heads over our head every year when opening up the cabin....only way to be outside. Appreciate all the info.

There were scads of them at the shoreline of Pigeon Lake this afternoon...fortunately they wern't biting but still made a nuisance of themselves getting in our eyes and ears...Gotta remember to put my bug jacket in the back of the car...

I can tell you categorically.. you'd better have a bug hood or lots of alcohol in your system. After spending 8 hours outside today I can tell you they are the worst that they have been in a good decade.

Edited by irishfield

Inundated with blackflies on north shore of Balsam today, till 2 light showers came through this afternoon and the skitters came out after - ended up eating or snorting a bunch while building a deck, got wet then attacked by skitters. Wasn't expecting or prepared for them at all. Big can of Muskol coming in with me tomorrow!

Michael

I can tell you categorically.. you'd better have a bug hood or lots of alcohol in your system. After spending 8 hours outside today I can tell you they are the worst that they have been in a good decade.

Thx for the categorical confirmation Wayne. With the wet & late spring I'd figured we were in for an epic blackbastard season this year in Seguin :(. As alcohol is not an option for the grandkids 2-6 yrs, looks like I'm shopping on Amazon for full body armour for them. Keeping them home is not an option as the other Grampa has got them revved up for a cottage visit :(.

Edited by pikeslayer

Good to know Irishfield. Everyone is saying they are awful this year, but at least it won't be 75 degrees with massive amount of bugs, like it was last year.

My dad and uncle used to go to PAB for the walleye opener, one look at them when they got home convinced me to never try it.

I remember going for a swim after dark there once in mid summer, it was the only time I tried that.

lol the first couple seasons with the cottage were a nightmare for me...including one that crawled down my pants and bit me on the unit...was not comfortable to say the least...I also blew up with over 50 welts all over my body. Having been up there for 15 years through the thick of it, the mossies and blacks nip but I dont react like i used to.

Still a friggin pain in the but when they get you behind the ears...drives me nuts.

The blackflies started coming out a couple days ago just inland from Parry Sound and have really not started to bite yet but it

won't be long . No skeeters yet . Things are still a bit cool up there and I believe the flies and everything else are a bit behind .

With the warm weather coming next week I'm sure they will be out in full force by the long weekend . I have spent a lot of time

in that area and I find that it can depend where you are and how bad the bugs are . I have been in the Mckellar area and it is

crawling with blackflies meanwhile go to a couple lakes just north of there on the same day and there is nothing .

As for the thermacells , I use them and I believe they do help a bit . Worth the $40 in my opinion .

Inundated with blackflies on north shore of Balsam today, till 2 light showers came through this afternoon and the skitters came out after - ended up eating or snorting a bunch while building a deck, got wet then attacked by skitters. Wasn't expecting or prepared for them at all. Big can of Muskol coming in with me tomorrow!

Michael

Thanks for the report Michael. Stoked to go up and get some Pike!

The blackflies started coming out a couple days ago just inland from Parry Sound and have really not started to bite yet but it

won't be long . No skeeters yet . Things are still a bit cool up there and I believe the flies and everything else are a bit behind .

With the warm weather coming next week I'm sure they will be out in full force by the long weekend . I have spent a lot of time

in that area and I find that it can depend where you are and how bad the bugs are . I have been in the Mckellar area and it is

crawling with blackflies meanwhile go to a couple lakes just north of there on the same day and there is nothing .

As for the thermacells , I use them and I believe they do help a bit . Worth the $40 in my opinion .

Thanks for the update. Not looking forward to the blackflies, but excited to go up and fish/drink. Any word on the if the pike are off the beds and active?

Thanks for the update. Not looking forward to the blackflies, but excited to go up and fish/drink. Any word on the if the pike are off the beds and active?

they werent last weekend...ghost town...but after next weeks warmth I have a feeling things are gonna be firing.

Can we categorically identify the species of flies that are in Parry Sound? I have in my earlier life been as far away as Long Lac area and Labrador. Just last year was my first experience with Parry Sound/Point Au Barril "Black Flies". We have bugs on Erie they call Black Flies, they are not, they are May Flies. Big buzzing critters that will turn my white boat seats and white T shirt red with blood when squished. They do not bite, they bug and that's it. The things in Long Lac, the Ottawa River near Pembroke and Labrador are the size of mosquitos, buzz and bite and I have a reaction and need Benadryl , if bad I need to go to the ER and get a shot. Eventually when we went to camp on the Ottawa I got an Epipen. The so called Black Flies I swallowed in Point Ah Barril were 4 times the size and buzzed but did not bite. They in my opinion are not Black Flies, too big, don't bite, don't make me sick. Maybe a strain but not the small biters we have north of southern ON. Please educate me.

Edited by Old Ironmaker