Navionics + card ?

Fish Farmer

Navionics + card
I purchased this card and loaded it. I've been fishing off L. Ont. 50 Pt. area, the chart is not any good for the south shore in that area.
Readings on depths are way off and shows shoals where there isn't any. Anyone here have the same issue.
Other day I trolled down around Community Beach and on the my GPS it showed a shoal that is not there.
I trolled over it a few times the depth didn't change.
I know the lake is up, but not to the fact that the depths are way off.
I hope it's better for the smaller lakes I've loaded on it.
On my depth finder it showed I was in 30 + feet so all the lines and depth #'s didn't mean anything.
Shoul1_zpsgjil37yc.jpg

Edited by Fish Farmer

Did you try updating the maps by inserting the card in the SD slot in your computer?

Reason I ask is because I recently purchased a humminbird helix 5 that came with nav card. I plugged into my laptop and updated the maps and turned "sonar chart" on. This made the mapped depths much more accurate as I believe it is user sounded/submitted via auto chart live (the same option exists on the navionics app)

Hope this helps

FF17

Did you try updating the maps by inserting the card in the SD slot in your computer?

Reason I ask is because I recently purchased a humminbird helix 5 that came with nav card. I plugged into my laptop and updated the maps and turned "sonar chart" on. This made the mapped depths much more accurate as I believe it is user sounded/submitted via auto chart live (the same option exists on the navionics app)

Hope this helps

FF17

I did update my card, I also got the same deal with my Helix 7 DI G2.

It also shows the shoal on the Web App.

On my older Bird I had the Fish N Chip card and it wasn't that accurate.

Thanks for your help. I'll check my machine for more settings.

Edited by Fish Farmer

I did update my card, I also got the same deal with my Helix 7 DI G2.

It also shows the shoal on the Web App.

On my older Bird I had the Fish N Chip card and it wasn't that accurate.

Thanks for your help. I'll check my machine for more settings.

No problem and good luck.

Don't drive yourself crazy over it though, I have experienced situations where the maps are just wrong. Should get better as more and more users are submitting their own maps

I've seen the same thing on other lakes. 20-30 foot difference.

Makes you wonder what we are paying for and is it more dangerous thinking you know when you don't wrt to shoals and rock.

Maybe community edits will one day change this.

I've seen the same thing on other lakes. 20-30 foot difference.

Makes you wonder what we are paying for and is it more dangerous thinking you know when you don't wrt to shoals and rock.

Maybe community edits will one day change this.

I hope your right, Wish they would make it easier for us older guys. Where's my grandson :D

Guess I got to get back out and push some more buttons on my machine and hope I don't screw things up. :D

Did you try updating the maps by inserting the card in the SD slot in your computer.

Hope this helps

FF17

Does inserting the card navigate you through the update FF17?

I hope your right, Wish they would make it easier for us older guys. Where's my grandson :D

Guess I got to get back out and push some more buttons on my machine and hope I don't screw things up. :D

I was told by some Compuder kids at the plant I can't break it, want to bet? What if I don't have Grand Kids? I don't, send a few over please Dave.

Does inserting the card navigate you through the update FF17?

I was told by some Compuder kids at the plant I can't break it, want to bet? What if I don't have Grand Kids? I don't, send a few over please Dave.

Yes it does. It's very straightforward.

I have a MacBook and when I put the card in my computer, an app opened and there's a big blue button that says update maps. At that point you make the selection to include an update for sonarchart (increases file size and download time), which I highly recommend. Sonarchart includes community edits which allows users to submit their own sounded maps that are far more accurate than what you are used to seeing on navionics maps. As more users submit their maps (usually using the auto chart feature in new humminbird units) all of them become a lot more accurate - also a reason to update regularly.