Missing pontoon boat. Please keep eyes open. (Nf)

The each pontoon has at least a couple chambers. It's unlikely that all the chambers were punctured and the thing sunk to the bottom and now isn't visible.

The cops should chain up a tinner with a decent 9.9 locked to it with a GPS tracking device (they're cheap) in the motor and wait. Jeremy's boat launch would be a perfect spot for this. It's simple and easy. There's probably only a couple guys responsible for all these thefts. Frustrates the hell out of me.

My former boss had a place on Kashabog (sp). They were robbed/broken into on a regular basis. The OPP described the theives as "mom and pop Kettle out doing their grocery and small appliance shopping.

They stole food, small appliances, anything they could easily carry out of the cottage. OPP "promised" to keep a closer eye on things, well you can imagine how that went!

They eventually put in a security system, that would alert them at there home in Toronto should anyone be breaking in. The darn thing went off so many times, it was nuts.

They eventually sold off the cottage, too much worry and driving 2 hours back and forth, every time the alarm went off.

Cops were sure it was always the same people as they would come back after some following their initial break in, to scoup up all the new things that insurance replaced.

OP, I wish you luck.

HH

Edited by Headhunter

I find it hard to believe anyone would take both the boat and the dock, any pro POS thief could easily break the largest chain with many of the battery operated tools out their today. Like it was said here they aren't the easiest boats to trailer. On the other hand like Chris said it is very unlikely a pontoon boat would sink to the bottom so quickly. The lake being only 15' deep some of that boat would be sticking up out of the water. Are there any back bays it may have drifted into? Strange to say the least.

We live in the cottage full time now. More and more folks are downsizing and winterizing and doing some big remodelling and are living here on the point full time now. No one lived here full time when we bought 21 years ago. Theft back then every winter was a regular thing. It was mostly country kids with nothing better to do looking for booze and a party. There hasn't been a break in in the last 17 years since we moved here full time. Most that come on weekends are former owners of northern properties and I would say 75% are from the GTA. There is no better theft security than neighbours. When we weren't here years back I kept lights on timers and a car that didn't run well but looked like it did in the driveway at all times, I went so far that a current sticker was on the vehicle and moving it occasionally. A local High School kid cleaned snow to the doorway and kept the driveway clear and the car cleaned off. In exchange I gave him a key and he and his pals could have a place to hang out and they left the place cleaner than they found it. My brother does the same thing at their cottage on Georgian Bay as do many here now.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

No real back bays. The lake is pretty open. You can almost see the entire lake from any point on it. Two rivers but they are near impossible to 'drift' into. And one doesn't really go anywhere. Technically 3 if you count Rush lake. The more advice I'm hearing about this, the stranger and stranger it sounds. Now I don't think it's theft or sunk. But what could it be?

Most pontoon boats are 8' wide and would fit (maybe not perfectly) on an over sized pontoon bunk trailer like I have. So it wouldn't be unheard of to steal it. Mostly likely it drifted away though.

Edited by chris.brock

The cops should chain up a tinner with a decent 9.9 locked to it with a bomb in the motor and wait. Jeremy's boat launch would be a perfect spot for this. It's simple and easy. There's probably only a couple guys responsible for all these thefts. Frustrates the hell out of me.

Slight adjustment to your quote...but hey, I'm nasty! lol

No real back bays. The lake is pretty open. You can almost see the entire lake from any point on it. Two rivers but they are near impossible to 'drift' into. And one doesn't really go anywhere. Technically 3 if you count Rush lake. The more advice I'm hearing about this, the stranger and stranger it sounds. Now I don't think it's theft or sunk. But what could it be?

I-am-not-saying.jpg

So, an update.

Turns out my dad didn't actually take the 16' Springbok out and search the lake for the boat (told me today he couldn't get the motor working)............. I'm not actually sure what he did, because OPP called and found the boat down on the south end of the lake hung up in some trees. Dock still attached and all. Looks like only some scratches to the boat and it didn't damage anyone else's property.

Thanks everyone for all the help and kind wishes while this was going on. Looks like Mother Nature was the culprit on this one.

Edited by jeremy84

Good news! That water can really catch people off guard when it rises quickly. Always good to add a few tie offs in the spring.

My dad flooded his boat at Lady Evelyn lake tying it up too tightly, the water rose overnight and went over the sides.