Inflatable PFD's

I have been looking at these CO2 inflatable PFD's a bit lately and would like to know your thoughts on which ones you have or have used.

I understand that there are a few different versions? One is manually inflatable, one inflates by pressure of the water if submerged, and one is inflated when they get wet. I'm thinking the last version might be a pain if the device gets drenched in the rain?

Any thoughts?

Thanks

i wear a cabellas guidewear auto inflatable.

IMO if you are going through the trouble of wearing an inflatable all the time because you care about your safety, then why in the heck would you not get one that auto inflates and that will actually save your life in the event that you pass out, slip and hit your head and end up in the lake?

Ive worn both the mustang and cabellas guidewear. I find the guidewear has a few more features, but both are very comfortable.

Big fan of the front waterproof pocket on the guidewear and the simple strap on the right hand side that allows me to hang my pliers on my chest.

The things are so comfortable that I typically forget that I am even wearing one to the point that I will walk in the house and sit down on the couch only to realize im still wearing my PFD.

I have an Mustang auto inflate as well. Pleasure to wear.

Some of the higher models have a more comfortable collar. Mine starts to each on the back of the neck if its right against the skin.

Also, be sure that you have easy access to replacement recharge kits as they have expiry dates on them.

Picked up a BPS auto pfd a couple of weeks ago, no more staying home cause a buddy can't make it.

Its priced right which is why I chose it.. comfy too. A mustang would be nice but double the coin.

I have a bps auto inflate. Zero issues and I wear if all the time I'm on the water... almost. It is comfortable and most times I forget I have it on until I sit in the truck to back up the trailer at the end of the day. That is also why when I take it off to add or remove layers I sometimes forget to put it back on right a way. I always have an extra life jacket on board so that I'm legal if I do forget.

I have a bps auto inflate. Zero issues and I wear if all the time I'm on the water... almost. It is comfortable and most times I forget I have it on until I sit in the truck to back up the trailer at the end of the day. That is also why when I take it off to add or remove layers I sometimes forget to put it back on right a way. I always have an extra life jacket on board so that I'm legal if I do forget.

very important...

Sometimes I also like to free the nip and get a tan...carry an extra life jacket just in case you find yourself fishing scales vs skins

Eh Mr. B

Mines not auto, Mustang , but can agree with comfort. Have driven home with it on not knowing. Have even started out without in on, not knowing. OOPS.

Edited by Misfish

I like the inflatable pfd's but like all life vest's my problem is trying to get the right size. All the inflatable ones say universal size ,,, bull poop!

Im a big guy and trying to find anything that will fit across my shoulders and chest is near impossible.

I just got a cabelas 3500 auto inflatable

I'm 6'4" 290lbs

Fits fine

Little worm if you ever wanna try it for sizing PM me

Thanks Mike. I will have to try it out. I guess the only good thing is that the only time I am in a boat is when I am with my dad and that is not very often so I usually just fish from shore.

I would not say I have a weight problem, I have more of a height problem. If I was 10 feel tall I would be the perfect weight!

Dang food tastes to good.

I've owned 2 bps auto/manual inflatables. I have had to replace 3 cartridges and bobbins in 3 years due to unecessary deployment. The hydrostatic ones are more money but will save you more in the long run if you have them go off for no reason like mine. Humidity makes the bobbins disintegrate so if you leave them on the boat in hot humid compartment they will go off. 40$ to recharge and get a new bobbin. Pain in the .....

Edited by b_cdot

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, an update!

I was in BPS tonight to make an exchange and saw their own brand of auto/manual inflate pfd's on sale from $119.95 down to $84.95! Now this certainly appealed to my "cheapskate" self! I did some online research and also spoke at length to a very helpful person from the marine section. These are made by a company called Onyxoutdoors for BPS. They utilize the membrane bobbin technology to auto deploy.

If the pfd is immersed in water, the water is forced up into the bobbin chamber and the bobbin dissolves. Rain or splashing should have no ill effects or cause false deployment. it can also be deployed manually or inflated by mouth. This seemed fine by me!

The guy did mention that if they are left in a damp storage compartment, the bobbin could be effected causing them to inflate. You could just unscrew the bobbin and store it between uses in a zip lock bag... or take your chances!

The whole re-arm kit is only $30. You can use replacement bobbins from Mustang for about $15. He also said that they do not require proprietary CO2 cartridges either, so as long as you find another 24 gram cartridge, you are good. The Hydrostatic technology kits using water pressure can run up to $100 to replace every 3 years.

Anyways, just wanted to pass along what I learned and thanks for all the good info you folks offered as well! I bought two of them to try! He did remind me as well that they do not count as pfd's on board unless you are wearing them.

My second Mustang purchased from CTC has that larger area of material between your shoulder blades. I find my older one more comfortable that is a basic U up the front and around neck and just straps at back.

For some reason you also need to carry a regular lifejacket in the boat.

Sounds like a good deal/ good product Rattletrap.

Just curious, what's the logic behind they only count as a PFD if they are being worn?

I believe it's because people throw their life jackets into lockets and forget about them. The Co2 PFD's can inflate while in there or the cartridge can deteriorate and expire without the owner knowing. So in essence, if you're not actually wearing it, you wouldn't know if you even have a viable PDF until you really need it.

On another note, don't assume these auto-inflates will inflate. There are numerous instances where guys have gone over or thrown from their boat and the jackets did NOT inflate. Also, I know most people don't run +60mph boats but it's become more common for tournament anglers to wear a regular PFD because there is no fear of failure and it offers chest padding as protection. When I'm alone on Erie, I wear my old PFD when running across the middle and then put my auto inflate on for fishing.

My second Mustang purchased from CTC has that larger area of material between your shoulder blades. I find my older one more comfortable that is a basic U up the front and around neck and just straps at back.

For some reason you also need to carry a regular lifejacket in the boat.

That's not exactly true. As long as you keep in on the entire time that you are in the boat, you do not need to have another PFD in the boat.

The 'For some reason' is also quite clear. It is because they do not count as a PFD if you are not wearing them. So if you take the inflatable off at any point, you need to have a conventional PFD in the boat to count as your PFD on board.

I can see some logic in an inflatable not counting if you are not wearing it. If the boat sank and the auto inflate didn't work, it may just sink and leave you with nothing. If you are wearing it, they usually have a manual inflate option if the auto inflate doesn't work.

Edited by JohnBacon

Sounds like a good deal/ good product Rattletrap.

Just curious, what's the logic behind they only count as a PFD if they are being worn?

The ones rated as PFDs are rated so because they may not keep your head above water should you be unconcious and are face down.