rod holder for trolling? recommendations

Tjames09

Two words - Berts Tackle. Have the ratchet ones for close to 10 years....still work and look like new.

http://berts-tackle.shptron.com/p/rod-holder-ratchet-satin?pp=8

Salties look like I made them in my basement....agree they last forever but boy are they ugly or what :wallbash: also pain to put rod in and take it out.....I maybe too used to my Berts and comparing them to Salties is like day and night.

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Two words - Berts Tackle. Have the ratchet ones for close to 10 years....still work and look like new.

http://berts-tackle.shptron.com/p/rod-holder-ratchet-satin?pp=8

Salties look like I made them in my basement....agree they last forever but boy are they ugly or what :wallbash: also pain to put rod in and take it out.....I maybe too used to my Berts and comparing them to Salties is like day and night.

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

A pain to take the rod out of a Salty??? You just lift it straight up.

Looking for a rod holder for trolling. Dont have any kind of rail mount on my boat.

What kind of gunwhales do you have? And what are you fishing for?

Down East Salties and Scotty have clamp on models. I think Cannon and Berts have clamp on options as well. The Down East Salties won't fit on my gunwhales; but the Scotty mounts will. Scotty has a number of different rod holders that will fit their bases. Their bases can also be bolted on if that makes more sense for your boat.

Mounting tracks will give you a lot of options.

Pictures of your boat would help with tips as well.

What kind of gunwhales do you have? And what are you fishing for?

Down East Salties and Scotty have clamp on models. I think Cannon and Berts have clamp on options as well. The Down East Salties won't fit on my gunwhales; but the Scotty mounts will. Scotty has a number of different rod holders that will fit their bases. Their bases can also be bolted on if that makes more sense for your boat.

Mounting tracks will give you a lot of options.

Pictures of your boat would help with tips as well.

I have a Legend 16 Xcalibur.

Thanks for all the replies everyone, going to check those all out.

And sorry its for Musky.

I have Berts, Scotties and salties. They all work. I have seen salties take some mega king hits on wore dipseys and never had them fail. I've also snagged bottom badly with my standard Scotties whir bottom bouncing with pretty tight drags and while I've seen the Scotties flex something fierce they've never failed. The Berts are nice. I don't have a lot of miles on mine as I tend to use the Scotties for average fishing and the down Easter for wire divers. Most other trolling rods go in the rigger holders. I've started using them for planer boards and they work well but so did my Scotties. If I was just an average bass, pike and pickerel fisherman id probably mount standard Scottie cradle style holders and be done with it. If you plan on trolling for salmon or Muskie then go for the salties or Berts!

I have a Legend 16 Xcalibur.

Thanks for all the replies everyone, going to check those all out.

And sorry its for Musky.

It doesn't look like clamp ons will work for you. I would mount some tracks; then you can attach Berts, Cannon, Scotty, or other rod holders. Down East Salties may require a custom bracket to be mounted on a track.

I have a Legend XCaliber as well. I second or third Trojan - really good guy to deal with and quality product. He will rubberize the Down East Salty to protect your rod handle if its cork. Plus make a custom mount for you to get them attached or detached and out of way when not in use.

I use them for Muskie in the Kawartha's.

I have Folbes. Ordered them from the US. Cabelas (US) and Rollie and Helens had them. I have both the bigger and smaller sizes for musky. I prefer the smaller one overall. Compact and tough, doesn't rattle and it holds your average handle like TDRs nicely. If you have oversized handles like some Shakespeare Tiger rods, you need the larger size.

I like my berts stuff but havent had much experience with others. I fish on my friends boat for steelhead, walleye and muskies with salties and I do find sometimes the salties are hard to pull the rod out of when you have a a crazy steelhead or a big musky thrashing. Bert's stuff is so expensive though thats the only downside. Not sure about scottys stuff, not familiar with it.

I like my berts stuff but havent had much experience with others. I fish on my friends boat for steelhead, walleye and muskies with salties and I do find sometimes the salties are hard to pull the rod out of when you have a a crazy steelhead or a big musky thrashing. Bert's stuff is so expensive though thats the only downside. Not sure about scottys stuff, not familiar with it.

Really? I can't understand how you guys have trouble getting the rods out of a Salty. You just lift the rod straight up. I've used Salties, Berts, Cannons, Scotty Quick Draws, & Scotty Orcas and I find that Salties to be the easiest to get the rod out of. The only other holder that even comes close to the Salty for ease in removing the rod is the Scotty Orca.

Really? I can't understand how you guys have trouble getting the rods out of a Salty. You just lift the rod straight up. I've used Salties, Berts, Cannons, Scotty Quick Draws, & Scotty Orcas and I find that Salties to be the easiest to get the rod out of. The only other holder that even comes close to the Salty for ease in removing the rod is the Scotty Orca.

Agreed. They are easier to get the rod out than a rocket launcher style rod holder for sure. They can be tricky to get the rods in them if you haven't used them. My favourite rod holders though. Tough as nails.