Amazing Owl Photo

danc

I had this photo e mailed to me today. It's the winner of the National Wildlife magazines 35th annual photo contest. Here's the caption that went with it.

Kim Steininger

Chadds Ford, Pennsylvania

"I took this picture right before I ducked," says Steininger. On a bird-watching trip in Ontario , Canada , last winter, the network administrator noticed that one of the great gray owls she was photographing was staring back at her. "I didn't think anything of it until it started flying at me," she says. Before getting out of the way, Steininger captured this digital photo with a 500mm telephoto lens.

Owlinflight.jpg

I was up in Northbay visiting my Mom a few years ago In april and had the pleasure of observing about 20 of these owls on one street in a little town called Bonfield.They are quite large birds.I have some shots of many just hanging out on telephone polls this was before we had a digital camera.Mike :thumbsup_anim:

Well I for one think its a freakin awesome pic no matter what the backround looks like.

I knew it was a definite skyshot when the image first apeared, Almost crapped my pants actually!! :rolleyes:

Awesome pic Danc :thumbsup_anim:

Edited by sturgman

The background might be snow and using a 500 prime that is super fast (f/4) will really do a job on the background. Two winters go when the GGO's stayed a while at Ile Bizard, I spent a lot of time up there looking and photographing them. Even managed a couple of "In your face" flight shots.

Here is a link to a few of my GGO's-

GGO's

Great photo! Thanks!

That shot is about the last thing seen by a ....spruce hen, mouse, mole, snowshoe hare, ... before the ole landing gear goes down for the kill.

Re the background, simply looks like an overcast day with snow on the ground to me. The 'stalking' eyes are really cool!!!!!