Removing A Tick

Best think to do is grab it by the head with tweezers and pull it straight out.

The infectious agents, like the Lyme bug, are in the belly of the tick.

Squeezing the body with your fingers or pissing it off with chemicals or heat could potentially cause these bugs to pushed into the victim.

That's sweet! Can't ​say I've ever had one which is surprising as when I was a kid we'd run around my grandparents place and my uncle's dog always seemed to get them... Crazy how quickly that works

How long do they stay on you for?

Typically they stay on for 5-7 days.

You won't feel the bite nor will you feel the tick on you.

They secrete a kind of local anesthetic so you don't feel anything.

The good news is that most ticks don't carry Lyme disease in most of Ontario. Problem areas are Prince Edward County and east along the St Lawrence valley and the north shore of Lake Erie.

An infected tick needs to be attached to its host for at least 24 hrs before it can transmit Lyme disease.

A thorough tick check at the end of the day in the mirror or by your sweetie and prompt removal is key if you've been in the woods

please do not believe this statement

"Problem areas are Prince Edward County and east along the St Lawrence valley and the north shore of Lake Erie.
An infected tick needs to be attached to its host for at least 24 hrs before it can transmit Lyme disease"

Ticks with Lyme travel via birds and are just as prevalent in Stouffville and through out southern Ontario as they are in Prince Edward County, Also a tick with Lyme only has has to be attached for a short time, as soon as it transmits fluids which is when they swell up you are at risk.

Lyme is nothing you to take any chances with

Heard there's a new disease transmitted by ticks. Can't remember the name right now. Much worse than Lyme disease. Death can occur in a day or two if I recall correctly. Think the ticks only have to be attached for minutes to transmit the disease. Pulling them and braking off the head, which would still be buried under your skin, won't help you.

You can use the peppermint method above to try and get them to back themselves out on their own. Also, soaking a cotton swab with rubbing alcohol and gently rubbing the exposed part of the tick in a circular motion (round and round the body), may get them to back off. Be careful not to break the tick (beheading). Leaving the head buried under your skin is just as bad as leaving the whole tick there. Trick is to irritate them so they detach themselves on their own.

Heard there's a new disease transmitted by ticks. Can't remember the name right now. Much worse than Lyme disease. Death can occur in a day or two if I recall correctly. Think the ticks only have to be attached for minutes to transmit the disease. Pulling them and braking off the head, which would still be buried under your skin, won't help you.

You can use the peppermint method above to try and get them to back themselves out on their own. Also, soaking a cotton swab with rubbing alcohol and gently rubbing the exposed part of the tick in a circular motion (round and round the body), may get them to back off. Be careful not to break the tick (beheading). Leaving the head buried under your skin is just as bad as leaving the whole tick there. Trick is to irritate them so they detach themselves on their own.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/03/health/powassan-tick-virus/

"

"About 15% of patients who are infected and have symptoms are not going survive," said Lyons, who is also an assistant professor of neurology at Harvard Medical School. "Of the survivors, at least 50% will have long-term neurological damage that is not going to resolve."
Although most infected people will never show symptoms, those who do become sick usually do so a few days to about a week after the tick bite, she said. The most common symptoms will be fever and headache."

My two cents, I had NEVER had a tick until a few weeks ago, was out turkey hunting , though i had checked myself well once I was home .

That night there was an intense pain right on the inside of my elbow , I tossed and turned and wrote it off s a strain from messing around with the tractors mower deck that day . GUESS I SHOULD OF LOOKED !!! lol! A tick had dug right into my tendon, whole arm was stiffened right up.

Pulled it out with the dogs tick remover and blasted right up to my wife's clinic . She rarely prescribes antibiotics but insistead on a 10 day course of them .

Two guys that I work with have recently been diagnosed with lyme's. Scary stuff!!

Its totally screwed up Turkey hunting as now I can't sit still and investaigate every itch, and sensation on my body LMAO .

Take care out there.

The good news is that most ticks don't carry Lyme disease in most of Ontario.

I wish you were right on that one but the times they are a changing. This news from just outside Ottawa around Carp.https://www.ottawacommunitynews.com/news-story/7222295-ticks-in-the-carp-hills/

"Ticks are in the Carp Hills.

The University of Guelph dragged a Carp Hills property for black-legged ticks last fall as part of a research project about Lyme Disease.

A total of 450 larva, 103 adults and three nymphs were collected.

The adults and nymphs were sent to a lab in Winnipeg for testing. It turned out that 53 per cent of these tested positive for the bacteria that causes Lyme Disease. The property on which the tick collection took place is right in the middle of the Carp Hills between March Road and Thomas Dolan Parkway.

It is believed that this level of infection is typical for the whole Carp Hills area. So those walking in the Carp Hills should take steps to minimize their exposure to these ticks.

Ticks live by feeding on the blood of mammals, birds and sometimes reptiles and amphibians. Because ticks ingest blood, they are vectors of at least 12 diseases that affect humans and other animals."

Cheers