Flooding?

lots of flooding in the haliburton area with roads washed out as well as areas to the north....and more on the way...the watersheds to the north are at capacity as well

I just heard on the radio to expect the kawarthas to rise a lot over the weekend to relieve some of the watersheds in the hali/bancroft area.

S.

I was up on Upper Buckhorn on Saturday. Water level is way up. I have a ramp on my dock that usually slopes down 3 or 4 inches...currently slopping up at least 10. Water level is way up an close to a record high for this time of year. I also saw a couple of dock sections floating out in the middle of the lake...really hard to see so be careful out there.

I heard 3/4 of the parking lot at The Rouge Park is covered in water.

Yeah, there was a lot of water that last couple of times that I was there.

Edit: I saw a post on FaceBook today. The road way from the bottom of the hill all the way to the parking lots is flooded.

Edited by JohnBacon

One reason I've heard is that they're not releasing as much water downstream on the St.Lawrence so it's backing up into Lake O. I tend to believe this as this was not an unusual year for snowpack and rain. not enough to bring the lake up this much.

From what I have heard, they are also experiencing high water levels down stream on the St. Lawrance. So, releasing more water out of Lake Ontario will cause floods further down stream.

The grand is way up too. Driving along river road yesterday in Caledonia the water was coming up into the parking lot in some spots, and from the bridge you can see the islands aren't visible it's just tree trunks sticking out of the water lol

I'm on Pigeon Lake and it looks like it's going to be the same as the last few years. I had to secure the wood on my dock so it won't float away. My dock and boat look like they are an island by themselves. State of emergency in Minden from what I hear. I'll tell you, I'm glad my home is far enough away from the shoreline that the high water won't affect my home, but there are many that are going to get flooded out.

Edited by jimmer

The grand is way up too. Driving along river road yesterday in Caledonia the water was coming up into the parking lot in some spots, and from the bridge you can see the islands aren't visible it's just tree trunks sticking out of the water lol

We've still got a good bit of capacity before anyone on the Grand really needs to start worrying. It's just cleared the top of the banks, plenty of floodplain to fill up before it starts flooding the trailer parks (they're always first to go). I've seen it much worse before.

ya, up here on the upper grand levels peaked sunday and have begun dropping. should be fine for everyone downstream unless they release a ton of water out of shand dam.. which i doubt cause belwood was silly low all winter.

The Grimsby pier near me is underwater, highest I've seen it in the 34 years I've been here. It was high in the 80's when I moved here but never completely under like this morning. On the bright side you can now launch at the free municipal launch there , no dock but OK if you have a small tinny or a PWC, it's been high and dry for years since they put it in back then.

The Ottawa river is a total mess. I have hit all the launches from Ottawa to Hawksbury(4) and they are all under water. I took pics of it all, pretty amazing. The Quebec side of the Ottawa is totally flooded. Water levels are expected to peak tomorrow and the water is already 6 feet high now. Going to be a lot of damage, let's hope everyone stays safe.

The Grimsby pier near me is underwater, highest I've seen it in the 34 years I've been here. It was high in the 80's when I moved here but never completely under like this morning. On the bright side you can now launch at the free municipal launch there , no dock but OK if you have a small tinny or a PWC, it's been high and dry for years since they put it in back then.

I was just down there yesterday for a look...

20170507_172816.jpg

my folks live on 4 mile lake and have been there for 15+ years now and the lake has never been as high as it is right now. Burn River is all flooded too but that happens every year.

Last weekend at cottage north Haliburton had to boat in & walk out as access road washed out -actually about 10 days ago. Heard handing out sand bags at local community centre on the radio. Water where I am is up maybe 2 feet over high water mark. Hwy 118 between West Guilford & Carnarvon water was close to the road. I didn't go into Minden but would assume Gull River is up and over its banks. Lake was between 4-5C and trout catching slow. I drove the boat and 2 friends caught 3 and lost 1 in 3 rainy then snowy trips. Should be good shortly but could be a buggier spring due to standing water.

• 1 month later...