Flooding?

Long term forecast is calling for cooler than normal and rain until at least the middle of the month.

I have a trib of Highland creek going through my backyard and it has been roaring for a couple of days now. Pretty darn soggy out there.

HH

Lots of flood warnings issued for Lake O right now. Its crazy high. Kawartha's are fine. No worries there.

S.

X2.

In Bobcaygeon on the weekend and water levels where fine. However here in Oshawa...Oshawa creek itself and Lake O are the highest I have ever seen them this time of year...since I moved here in 1983.

Water levels here on Erie are a bit higher, I'm only talking a few inches more here than they have been the last 5 springs. No ice thaw to effect levels if ice actually does just rain. I always wondered how much water the people in control of he Falls on both sides to control levels throughout the Great Lakes. There have been years here, usually in the Fall, where we wake to see almost 2 feet of wet green rocks above yesterdays waterline. There is a strong lunar tide that effects Erie but not sure how strong to drop water up to 2 feet overnight. That's a lot of water that went somewhere.

X2.

In Bobcaygeon on the weekend and water levels where fine. However here in Oshawa...Oshawa creek itself and Lake O are the highest I have ever seen them this time of year...since I moved here in 1983.

yikes, we are due for a nasty storm on friday thats going to dump another 40mm of rain.

Water levels here on Erie are a bit higher, I'm only talking a few inches more here than they have been the last 5 springs. No ice thaw to effect levels if ice actually does just rain. I always wondered how much water the people in control of he Falls on both sides to control levels throughout the Great Lakes. There have been years here, usually in the Fall, where we wake to see almost 2 feet of wet green rocks above yesterdays waterline. There is a strong lunar tide that effects Erie but not sure how strong to drop water up to 2 feet overnight. That's a lot of water that went somewhere.

I'm not convinced that there is any measurable lunar effects on the levels in the Great Lakes but Lake Erie is very prone to 'Surges & Seiches' (aka the bathtub effect) which can have dramatic effects on water levels even days after a storm. At times, larger ships leaving the Detroit River have to adjust their schedules to time the 'high tide' at the West end as the lake settles after a storm. You can read about it here:

http://www.miseagrant.umich.edu/lessons/lessons/by-broad-concept/earth-science/surges-and-seiches-2/

Edited by G.mech

There are on-line gauges that you can use to check the daily variation of levels at a given location. I check the Collingwood buoy because the run of salmon and trout up the Notty is affected by the water level, which can vary by a couple of feet. A strong sustained N-W wind, which we often get in the fall, can produce these peak water levels. I'm not aware of any seiche effect here.

If you check on-line you can also see that Lake Huron is at it's highest level in about 20 years. Lake O prob is too.

Don't know where exactly, but a friend from work has a place up around Bancroft and his dad was up there, a river broke over the road and ended up washing the road out taking the corrugated steel pipe with it and turning the section of road back into a river

Thanks G. Mech. A good read. Anyone that boats in Erie or any large lake should read that. When I see dark skies over NY and Ohio we hightail it back to port in sunny skies. Often by the time we hit shore we are in following 2 meter waves. Not fun in a 19 footer. I cring when I see boats much smaller than mine 10 miles out. I want to see 3 day forecasts before I pick my day.

News tonight says we could be in for another 60mm/2 1/4 inches of rain by sunday. Local rivers are just about ready to bust, Pine and Mad are running into field, Notty isn't far behind.

All them trout will make it back to the big water. BONUS.

One reason I've heard is that they're not releasing as much water downstream on the St.Lawrence so it's backing up into Lake O. I tend to believe this as this was not an unusual year for snowpack and rain. not enough to bring the lake up this much.

Gonna start getting interesting along the Grand - Conestoga Dam is basically at max now according to the GRCA website and waterflows are at low level flood stage pretty well the whole length of the river.