bass cat pantera 2 or ranger 185

ecmilley

Have you been out in both boats? That 3" difference in beam would make a bigger difference to the overall stability and ride vs the difference in length. I'm bias no doubt, but here in Ontario, I'd bet the resale of a Ranger would be better and easier than a Basscat. That's not a knock against Basscat, their super boats, just not as popular as Ranger and I think that shows up at selling time.

At the end of the day, the boat you love to be in is the one to get. Good luck and let me know what you decide...with a picture!!

Wow nice upgrade either way!! Did you talk to aim marine in Ottawa about a basscat? Might be close to impossible but a test ride in each might help you decide

yup aim great people and they actually get back to you, was checking out jp,s caracal at the show different boat but overall construction of that boat really has me considering the cat now.

biggest selling for cat right noe is the 200 v max sho for 60k the ranger is 58k with a g2 150 just having a hard time wanting anything from brp on a new boat

It's a pick um. 93 beam should be faster but basscat are heavy boats. It's true beam is the ride.

I wouldn't buy off either dealer that sells Yamaha/ranger around here. They are both services nightmares.

The only BDR dealer I would talk to is Bellville Sport and Lawn.

Nothing from Triton interest you Hunters Bay is great dealership. My buddy has a 21X Triton the best boat of my buddy's that includes 3 with Z521.

Ranger must have hired 3 engineers to design a trailer that no human can use to get in the boat.

I have a 28 year old Ranger and it is still a solid boat. I will say decide after you have ridden in the boat. I have ridden in a few different brands and some of them really stink in the chop. The G2 motor is a motor my mechanic says is amazing and a big step up in the Evinrude line.

Art

I have a 28 year old Ranger and it is still a solid boat. I will say decide after you have ridden in the boat. I have ridden in a few different brands and some of them really stink in the chop. The G2 motor is a motor my mechanic says is amazing and a big step up in the Evinrude line.

Art

Yup my current ranger is a 1992 3bseries and its a tank was running 2 ft chop at 58mph no problems . At this point the ranger i want is 100k. Decided on the bass cat the smaller ranger limited to 150hp not emough speed for tournys got beat constantly to my marks last year. The catnwith a 200 and.tourny load will turn.74 mph puts.me.in ball park of where i need to be and with 43 gallon fuel tank give me the range on great lakes

If you're going brand new I guess that's the way to go for you. I'm not sure what the Basscat cost new, but I'd be looking at a Z520 in the $45K - $65K range before I'd by new. That is a lot more boat and probably less money. There's a few out there now with <100 hours and some under 50...with a warranty. Plus you can find some with upgraded electronics and power poles/talons. Obviously your call but for the money, I'd go with Z520/Z521 and a 250hp.

Yup my current ranger is a 1992 3bseries and its a tank was running 2 ft chop at 58mph no problems . At this point the ranger i want is 100k. Decided on the bass cat the smaller ranger limited to 150hp not emough speed for tournys got beat constantly to my marks last year. The catnwith a 200 and.tourny load will turn.74 mph puts.me.in ball park of where i need to be and with 43 gallon fuel tank give me the range on great lakes

Nope good call I think. I have a GTX150 with 28 gallon tank, wide open it is at 55 mph and sucking 9/10 gallon a minute. I would repower but the cost of repowering is not worth the fuel it would save. Besides being a classic it seems a crime to put a modern motor onit.

Art

I thought re powering my Sprint 225 carb wouldn't save that much gas. WRONG

Have a 200 Pro Craft with a 200 merc opti can't burn $60 and get freaked out at how little oil it uses.

I guess I should clarify the bass boat gets about 10 hours a year run time, The jet drive boat gets 20 hours a year and the big boat gets about 30 hours a year. The balance of fishing is on the 10ft pelican. Now if I had only one boat the payback would be really fast.

Art

so after getting smoked by the dollar, adding a couple 9 in hb mega si di units 80lb x5 mg trailering cover keel guard couple 10ft power poles some other little things pantera 2 coming in at 75k plus taxes

so after getting smoked by the dollar, adding a couple 9 in hb mega si di units 80lb x5 mg trailering cover keel guard couple 10ft power poles some other little things pantera 2 coming in at 75k plus taxes

I,ll do a friendly small tourny bet over the year with ya. Your $75,000 + tax boat ,against my $250 toon. Total weight ( bass ) over the season. LOL

Wish I had the cash to spend on a sweet ride like that.

Enjoy.

Who is the Phoenix dealer.

I look them over at Andy's show and thought they where a little rough around carpet install corners, just not great fit and finish. Tighting screws on Phoenix is full time job according a friend that owns 1. Which they all do that if you run them hard in big stuff.

You likely know this boat Triton TRX 21 Grey Yellow stripe every time I'm in this boat I'm reminded what a great boat it is.

Picking a boat is like picking somebody to live with. If it works for you go for it.

You get your value on the selling of your Boats, not the buy. The resale value is what's really important. What is saving $5K now if it depreciates by $10K more later? You may intend on keeping it forever but you haven't seen the 2022's yet! Lol I'd be waiting for the 2018 Ranger lineup. It'll be their 50th anniversary and should have some special models/colours.

For the price of the Panterra II, I would step up to the Caracal they have (if it is still there) for the extra $10,000 it is. Or order one the way you want it for cheaper. That Caracal has nice HDS units and the Ultrex on it already. If the Basscat promotions are still on, I think you can an 8 foot powerpole included as well.

For the boats you originally recommended, I wouldn't pick either. If the bass cat hull was symmetrical, I would choose it but have the keel not run down the center would drive me nuts. Its off set to one side so that the trolling motor shaft is right in front of the keel.

The Z185 reminds me more of a Stratos VLO than a true Ranger. Plus, it will not do 60mph so it isn't something I would consider. If I ended up in a Ranger, it would have to be either version of the Z518.

Now, if you are considering the 920 from Pirate Cove, it is a sweet looking boat. A little too much red for me but a nice boat none the less.

I'll be in your position hopefully within the next year so I have already started trying to figure out what I want. If I go glass, the frontrunners are the Bass Cat Caracal or Phoenix 819/919. I am also strongly considering the Lund Pro v bass in either size.