Surge Drum to Surge rotor?

floater

I'm getting next to no braking on my Big Boat trailer. It has the Titan 60 surge brake actuator and 10 inch drums. I've cleaned and adjusted the drums and the actuator goes back and forth freely. 5 bolt hubs and I a 3500 lb axle. I'd like to convert it to rotors but I'm wondering if anyone has done this to their trailer and how it worked out?

Have you checked whether any of the wheel cylinders are seized?

Have you bled the system checking for air?

Is there good fluid transfer from the master cylinder to the wheel cylinders?

A drum system working properly, shouldn't have any issues stopping your trailer.

Titan does sell a disc brake kit that runs about $125.00 a wheel. (USD?)

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Brakes/Titan/T4843000.html

That doesn't include the brake flex lines (if needed?) and you'll need to reroute the steel lines to the flex or the calipers.

Possibly some fabrication for things like the flex line hold down brackets.

You would also need a different master cylinder; drum and disc master have different flow rates.

Titan does sell disc masters; but whether it will fit in your drum actuator, I'm not sure. They also sell complete actuators for disc brake.

Have a look around on E trailer and you should be able to piece together a price for all that's required to convert to disc.

But it will all still need installing (properly) and the system bled.

Don't know where you're from but I'd be happy to help you out with this; that's after my spring rush is over with here at the shop.

Dan.

Edited by DanD

Brakes cleaned and adjusted and wheel cylinders both work as they should. I was thinking the Actuator may be on the way out. I push the coupler inwards and a buddy can see the brakes shoes moving. I've bled the lines and used fresh Dot 3 fluid in. I've been looking around for the upgrade to rotors kits and that's why I'm asking if anyone has done this 'upgrade' and if it actually made a difference? If I have to buy a new drum Actuator it's going to cost about 300 bucks. A few of the complete kits I've seen are about 500 US including a Rotor Actuator.