~~~Wanted some good Minnows

oldphart

I was actually looking into it after Brian called me on it. He's right. Seems I've been brought up on a lie lol.

Turns out not all emeralds are the same colour(per say, shut up Brian lol).

But yeah, I've been fishing emeralds and some just have different hues.

The frozen ones I buy do say "silver shiner" but yeah, turns out their protected and not even in my area.

Im a dumbass

In retrospect, remember im the guy that caught a walleye that spit up a stickleback and I had no clue what it was ???

Could have gotten away with saying emerald shiner = 1. Golden shiner or common shiner is 2. :P also great for pike and larger fish.

I've encountered Spottail Shiners as commercial bait minnows, found Perch can't tell the difference between them and Emeralds, Walleyes I found are not as selective about what kind of minnows you use, Perch can be finicky. Heinz 57 varieties from beaverpond traps seemed to work fine for Walleyes.

Edited by dave524

All fish gotta start from the egg at sometime. ;)

I've heard a lot of people catching Common and Golden off of the fly, on super light tackle. One guy even had a slip float setup to get em for his forage fish collection for College. Such a cool idea.

I find commons and goldens are super versatile for all sorts of fish. On Quinte over the summer, my buddy and I will tie a 4-6 incher on to a egg sinker with a circle hook, toss it as far into the bay as we can, sit on the dock with a few beers and watch the bass, pike and sheephead hammer em.

http://www.stevessleepininn.com/did-you-know/

I've caught Common and Golden Shiners on hook and line in the 8 inch plus class, I bet a lot have used SpotTails and not even known they weren't Emeralds.

http://wildlife.ohiodnr.gov/species-and-habitats/species-guide-index/fish/spottail-shiner

According to our department of natural resources, they are the second most common bait fish in Lake Erie.

All fish gotta start from the egg at sometime. ;)

I've heard a lot of people catching Common and Golden off of the fly, on super light tackle. One guy even had a slip float setup to get em for his forage fish collection for College. Such a cool idea.

I find commons and goldens are super versatile for all sorts of fish. On Quinte over the summer, my buddy and I will tie a 4-6 incher on to a egg sinker with a circle hook, toss it as far into the bay as we can, sit on the dock with a few beers and watch the bass, pike and sheephead hammer em.

Besides common shiners you also have these? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Striped_shiner

A size 12 hook with the barb flattened and a maggot or tiny piece of worm will catch them.

Ohio, that is a really good question. I don't think so but I will check my ID books tonight.

Our DNR shows both here and in Lake Erie, so I assume they could be anywhere down flow? Around 10-15 miles south of me is the great divide between the drainage systems for the great lakes and Mississippi, for me it seems weird to see streams and rivers heading south.

We do have Striped Shiners in Ontario, they are mainly a SW species (SW of a line between Lake Ontario across to the Bruce Peninsula) although they have been introduced elsewhere. Where they are found they are very common, and aside from a few small differences are virtually identical to Commons

Edited by Garfisher

We do have Striped Shiners in Ontario, they are mainly a SW species (SW of a line between Lake Ontario across to the Bruce Peninsula) although they have been introduced elsewhere. Where they are found they are very common, and aside from a few small differences are virtually identical to Commons

Thanks garfisher. A few of my co-workers mentioned Erie and St. Claire. Seems like you can find anything in those water bodies.

Northern Redbelly Dace are the best for walleye in the Ottawa River. They can live for hours on a jig. Just show a Shiner a hook and there dead. We trap our own in a marsh early in the season.

Funny how that works. Nothing will beat a shiner, frozen dead or alive in NW ontario

It's interesting, when I used to work in NW Ontario I looooved using Dace as bait. Dunno that I ever had a emerald up there though to compare.

I still use(well used to use Dace) but I quit quickly after seeing most prominent anglers in the area using shiners.

They indeed work, and live longer, but fish seem to favour shiners in my experience.

Can't even buy Dace in emo anymore, nobody wants them.

It's all shiners, worms and bloodsuckers.

I'd have to drive to the next town to get Dace.

Edited by manitoubass2

Neat little research there! I'm not too surprised by that haha. I know brookies love sticklebacks though, the fact that sticklebacks swim poorly may outweigh the fact that they can be quite painful/difficult to eat. I think the lake I fished didn't have too much in terms of forage, like two species of minnows and no perch (pumpkinseed though), I guess they could target stickleback out of necessity (or ease of capture).

Edited by Garfisher

Brookies definitely love sticklebacks, in many lakes they will make up a large part of their diet.

I absolutely smoked walleye on mud minnows a couple times this winter on Nipissing. Definitely dont be afraid to try them. We were catching 3-5 eyes per minnow too. Wont see that with a shiner.