~~~Wanted some good Minnows

oldphart

~~~Bought some minnows from Gagnons, partner went there on Saturday, and got some, come Sunday, went to bait up and found they were Mud Minnows, and a hell of a lot of Sticklebacks. Perch would take them and spit them out faster then they took in. Should have waited and got my bait in Orillia,

Just catch them. Almost anywhere on simcoe right now you can catch tons with a net. I never buy bait.

Even better, get some Fin-S minnows. Never use real bait again.

I'm not sure where your going, but if I knew I could probably help you out better.

S.

I've only encountered Sticklebacks when we used to set a minnow trap in a beaver pond on a small creek, we'd only keep them if we didn't get enough chub minnows. Thought most bait shops sold Emerald Shiners as minnows, Logperch were another undesirable minnow we used to get sometimes.

Mud Minnows? A regional name? are those fathead minnows?

It's hard to get emerald shiners too far away from Lake Erie here in Ohio, most bait stores away from Lake Erie sell fatheads, just my experience that they aren't worth buying.

If the bait stores along the lakefront are having trouble getting emerald shiners here they will sell fatheads.

I have stocked both Emerald Shiners (Last fall) and fathead minnows (This past week) into my pond as feed for the Bass. Fatheads are preferred because they will breed constantly over the summer between water temps of 60 deg.F to 84 deg.F. Emeralds won't breed in the pond.

I buy them by the gallon (approx. 90 dozen per gallon), so several thousand fish at a time.

Fun to just watch the Bass bust in on a big school of minnows! Every day now, they are feeding more aggressively.

~~~Bought some minnows from Gagnons, partner went there on Saturday, and got some, come Sunday, went to bait up and found they were Mud Minnows, and a hell of a lot of Sticklebacks. Perch would take them and spit them out faster then they took in. Should have waited and got my bait in Orillia,

Sucks but nothing we can do our supplier supplies the "River Mix" as it's called. Normally there are very little mostly dace, suckers chub, shiners etc.

Edited by MikeTheBassFisher

Mud Minnows? A regional name? are those fathead minnows?

It's hard to get emerald shiners too far away from Lake Erie here in Ohio, most bait stores away from Lake Erie sell fatheads, just my experience that they aren't worth buying.

If the bait stores along the lakefront are having trouble getting emerald shiners here they will sell fatheads.

Central Mud Minnow.

Umbra limi.

Yep, night and day difference

Give me emeralds anyday over any minnow.

Then it's shiners

They are one of the same no?

Emerald shiners ?

Creeks here are full of them now.

Edited by Misfish

Terry I hope you are referring to "Redside Dace" as either Finescale, Northern Redbelly, or Northern Pearl Dace considering where Shining Tree is haha. And Manitou I'm guessing your "Silver Shiners" are something else?

Only asking as using Redside Dace and Silver Shiner could net you MAJOR fines considering they're listed as Endangered and Threatened (respectively) lol

Terry I hope you are referring to "Redside Dace" as either Finescale, Northern Redbelly, or Northern Pearl Dace considering where Shining Tree is haha. And Manitou I'm guessing your "Silver Shiners" are something else?

Only asking as using Redside Dace and Silver Shiner could net you MAJOR fines considering they're listed as Endangered and Threatened (respectively) lol

I was actually looking into it after Brian called me on it. He's right. Seems I've been brought up on a lie lol.

Turns out not all emeralds are the same colour(per say, shut up Brian lol).

But yeah, I've been fishing emeralds and some just have different hues.

The frozen ones I buy do say "silver shiner" but yeah, turns out their protected and not even in my area.

Im a dumbass

In retrospect, remember im the guy that caught a walleye that spit up a stickleback and I had no clue what it was ???

Edited by manitoubass2

Hahaha no problem. I figured you were referring to a different shiner, you are only over 1000km away from the closest Ontario population. Plus there's like 3-5 different shiners up there that can be silvery in colour :lol:

Come to think of it last year I was fishing for walleye one night after work and one of the walleye spat up a stickleback. Maybe those little guys aren't such a bad walleye bait!