Charging 24V system.

limeyangler

Hi all,

I have a new 24V trolling motor. I plan to hook up two 12v batteries in series for the trolling motor and will also have a 12v cranking battery for the outboard and fish finders. My questions are how do I charge this system? Can I use my existing 2 bank on board charger, or do I need 3 bank charger. If I need a three bank charger how to connect? or do I need a different charger altogether and what is it. I want to be able to use just one onboard charger for the all the batteries on board so I just plug it in when I get home.

If you want to charge all 3 you will need a 3 bank onboard charger.

You can set it up the way it is now with your 2 bank connected to the TM batteries, and your engine will keep the cranking battery charged. The only time you would really need to charge the cranking battery is in the off season when the boat is not in use.

S.

If you want to charge all 3 you will need a 3 bank onboard charger.

You can set it up the way it is now with your 2 bank connected to the TM batteries, and your engine will keep the cranking battery charged. The only time you would really need to charge the cranking battery is in the off season when the boat is not in use.

S.

Thanks Sinker.

I think I want to go the 3 bank route, just peace of mind knowing all three are fully charged at the start of the day. How do I connect the charger to the two 12v in series? Do I just connect the charger cables + to + and -to - like normal?

I have this charger and love it..........it can be purchased online or Cabela's sells them with their name on it.......it will direct amps to whatever battery needs it most.......so once the starting battery is fully charged it will now send the extra charging amps to the trolling batteries to get them up to snuff a little faster. Read the link about this charger............and it's reasonably priced compared to some other onboard charging systems.

I agree with you, you want a charger on the starting battery because these onboard smart chargers if left plugged in all the time extend the life of those batteries MUCH longer and they are always in top condition for a full day on the water.

http://www.promariner.com/en/43021

If you go the 3 Bank charger route I would recommend taking a look at one of these Noco genius chargers. IMO one of the best out there. And yes you just hook up all the positives and negatives.

NOCO Genius GEN 3 On-board Battery Charger | Canadian Tire

Another cheaper option would be to just keep your 2 Bank charger and let your motor charge the cranking battery but for piece of mind have one of these in the boat:

Car Rover 1000A Peak 14800mAh Portable Car Jump Starter Battery Booster Charger Phone Power Bank, Jump Starters - Amazon Canada

I have this particular one and it will jump just about anything from my V8 Sierra to the outboard motor. Not to mention charging your camera, phone, speaker, or whatever else you have in the boat. Just another idea

Don

Edited by BassMan11

Thanks for all the replies, it all helped answer my questions. Thanks Bassman11, you reminded me I have 2 of those portable Lithium jump start thingies which I bought last fall for the purpose of having in the boat, with that there I won't be getting a 3 bank charger and just use the 2 bank that i have. I was also looking at the Noco from CT, but $350 when I have other options is too much, will spend that money on 2 new batteries. NOW...WHAT BATTERIES.......lol.

If you troll a lot charging your cranking battery not issue.

If you spend a lot time running your trolling motor, your cranking battery is running livewells, fish finders Talons, stereo ect, then short runs you make with big motor won't keep up. One thing that can help is putting your console fishfinder in sleep mode when not being used.

If you have room buy a second 2 bank charger 5/5 and put both leads on your cranking battery then run 3 way plug to your power cord running both chargers. Typically your cranking battery will charge fairly fast and shut down.

Ahhh Batteries. Just went through all this as well. So you can take that $350 you saved on the charger and spend it on 1 "good" deep cycle battery like a NorthStar or Odyssey lol. If you have that type of budget. Or there are very good reviews on both the Everstarts from Walmart or The Kirklands from Costco. I have ran Everstarts for 5 years now and have not had any complaints about them. For my new 24V Ulterra I went with 2 Everstart Maxx 29D's at about $130 a piece.

With batteries get the largest ones you can afford and have space for. Also charging with a good quality charger right after every trip is key to having the battery last a while. Hope this helps.

BassMan

I am in the exact same situation,,,I'm planning on keeping my two bank charger that is already in the boat ,,,and then getting a one bank charger just to hook up to the starter battery,,this charger will not be onboard,,,takes all of a few seconds to hook up and then I have a charger in the garage if I need it and don't have to get rid of my two bank charger that is already in the boat

So, I have decided to keep my 2 bank charger in place, and use a C-TEK Multi US 3300 battery maintainer for the cranking battery. I also already have 2 Noco genius GB40 Jump Starters , one of which I will keep in the boat, heck, I'll bring them both since my snow machine is not needed now, they are great and managed to start my small truck from a completely drained battery.

IMG_2735.jpg

IMG_2736.jpg