Trying to bring back finish on fibreglass gell coat.

gotfish

I had a boat years ago that had a red gel coat section right under the rub rail that oxidized to a pinky haze. I tried everything to bring it back. All rubbing compounds, polishes, but it always came back after a couple months. I event tried progressive wet sanding of 400, then 600 then 1000 then 1500 followed by polishing compound and then wax. That lasted one season then by fall, it was back. Do't use vertglass. It looks OK for a couple months then peels off and looks horrible. I think maybe the only sure might be a proper clear coat painting after thorough sanding, but if you are going to do that, you might as well use a marine paint and maybe change the colour if you wanted. Another simple option might be a vinyl wrap that you see on some boats. Probably expensive, but would look good..

Depending on the condition of the gelcoat, there are a number of ways to completely restore the finish. If the boat has fairly heavy oxidation, wet sanding is most likely required. Don't be intimidated, its just elbow grease and if you use the right products and follow the sequence the results are awesome and it DOES last. I have the products and the method if you're interested.

Here are a couple before and after pics from a boat I did last fall.

Before:

20160927_144057.jpg

After:

20160928_105514%201.jpg

With the oxidation removed, the blue really comes through and got much deeper. Those pictures were taken the same day one hour apart.

Depending on the condition of the gelcoat, there are a number of ways to completely restore the finish. If the boat has fairly heavy oxidation, wet sanding is most likely required. Don't be intimidated, its just elbow grease and if you use the right products and follow the sequence the results are awesome and it DOES last. I have the products and the method if you're interested.

Here are a couple before and after pics from a boat I did last fall.

Before:

20160927_144057.jpg

After:

20160928_105514%201.jpg

With the oxidation removed, the blue really comes through and got much deeper. Those pictures were taken the same day one hour apart.

Wow, nice work! Is that clear coated after the polishing?