SmartOut Ontario - android app for outdoorsmen

p4rp

Hi everybody.

I've created a smart phone app (Android only) to help with fishing and hunting seasons and maps. Basically it has:

- Map of Fisheries Management Zones (FMZ)
- Fishing Seasons by Zone (FMZ)
- Additional Fishing Opportunities (locations displayed on the map where known)
- Exceptions to zone regulations (locations displayed on the map where known)
- Map of Wildlife Management Units (WMU)
- Hunting seasons by game category (Migratory Birds, Deer e.t.c.)
- Hunting seasons by WMU - all seasons for all game in a given WMU

Long click anywhere on the map allows to open seasons for this location. Hunting and fishing seasons are presented in familiar format, as in official regulation summaries, but at the same time much easier to look up. Ontario residents hunting seasons are shown by default (can be changed to non-residents in Settings).

The app is about 10 MB download (from Google Play) and it's free! Check it out - maybe you will find it useful.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.p4rp.smartout&hl=en

fish_3_screens.jpg

hunt_3_screens.jpg

Do you need a signal to use the app or does it store the data on your phone? I don't always have a signal when I am fishing; and most users have limits for their data.

Seasons and dates are stored on the phone. You can browse them as tables in the app anywhere even without cell phone connection.

Background map data comes from Google Maps. So you need internet connection (data or WiFi) to open maps and locate where you are going. There is a good chance however that map fragment will be cashed (partially stored) on your phone and you would see that particular map area even without any cell connection. And of course GPS does not need cell connection. You should see your location on the map.

Apple wants me to buy Apple PC to develop for I-Phone. I simply cannot afford it..

Sucks. It'd be nice to have it on iPhone.

For those with iPhones though, you can use MNR's new web site FishOnline: https://www.gisapplication.lrc.gov.on.ca/FishONLine/Index.html?site=FishONLine&viewer=FishONLine&locale=en-US

It's not as comprehensive as this app but still has lots of nice info - maps, depths, launches (at least some of them), species, seasons, limits, no fishing zones, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

For hunters - added Sunday gun hunting map and .275 caliber map.

Do you have to be in service, or online (via wifi) to utilize the app?

About offline - hunting and fishing seasons (tables) will work offline 100%. The maps will show whatever was last viewed when connection was available and maybe some cashed areas. But if you zoom into some new area details will probably be missing, the base map will be blurry. Nevertheless you should be able to see your GPS location, click near it and see what WMU/FMZ you are in and look up the seasons.

• 3 months later...

Finally, new version with User Marks is available to download on Google Play.

For some reason I cannot add post to this topic.

please tell me you plan on staying ad-free

Yes, it's my strong position to stay ad-free.

usermarks_3_screens.jpg

Edited by p4rp

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

2019 Hunting seasons added.

Note: MNRF has changed the official regulations format this year. Game order and seasons tables were re-arranged. We have re-formatted SmartOut to align with these changes.

If you see any discrepancies please notify us. Use Contact->Email button at the bottom of main screen to email us.

• 11 months later...
  • 8 months later...

When I see what could be an add for a commercial enterprise especially from a newer member with a handful of posts my pesimistic 1/2 thinks, free advertising, how much $$$ does this guy want from us, hair today gone tomorrow. The other 1/2 of me is far less pesimistic and just says "rip off." This is a fantastic app, absolutly fabulous. I would use it myself especially when we are in a group of small lakes that I can get in and out of without getting out of the boat. I always assume the slot limits are the same but who knows. I always say you better bring a copy of the regs or for those that can have the entire book on your phone, not me, don't forget the phone and the charger. 

Good work minnow p4rp. p4rp means what? You just made many freinds here.