Bass biting in US waters

SuperDave

Got out tues for my first attempt at some spring bass in NY waters. No pics but we caught several nice smallies on tubes. This is the earliest I've managed to catch these big bronzebacks. Lots of fun, beautiful day, looking forward to the fishing only getting better!

This time of year was also the time for some hot action in Ohio waters, 50+ bass days!

Some pretty serious thunderstorms in the Cleveland area yesterday evening, and more expected today. Hope Akri got out of Ohio without any issues!

We have been getting big thunder boomers here on Erie all night and today. All the creeks and streams are over full. Farmers fields look like reservoirs today. Keep the pets and yourselves away from these torrents.

I wonder why in NY Bass fishing before the 3rd Saturday in June doesn't harm the fish but here it does? Personally I don't think fishing pre spawn Bass does anything to the species. Maybe make then off limits from say May 1st to the end of June when they are spawning in the shallows and sitting on the beds. Many years there are bedding Bass here a week after opening, especially after a bad winter. 2012 and 2013 for example.

We have been getting big thunder boomers here on Erie all night and today. All the creeks and streams are over full. Farmers fields look like reservoirs today. Keep the pets and yourselves away from these torrents.

I wonder why in NY Bass fishing before the 3rd Saturday in June doesn't harm the fish but here it does? Personally I don't think fishing pre spawn Bass does anything to the species. Maybe make then off limits from say May 1st to the end of June when they are spawning in the shallows and sitting on the beds. Many years there are bedding Bass here a week after opening, especially after a bad winter. 2012 and 2013 for example.

As I pointed out previously, there are a lot of dumb laws in Ontario, especially when it comes to the Great Lakes. There is no uniform regs when it comes to border waters and that's just stupid.

http://fox8.com/2017/04/20/flooding-fiasco-cleanup-continues-at-sams-club-in-brooklyn-and-surrounding-businesses/

Some pretty bad flooding in the general area here, and storm warnings are out again, Lake Erie and the tribs might be a special shade of brown?

Ohio made the change to a closed season some years ago too, strictly catch and release on Lake Erie until late June. Pulling them of their beds during the spawn seems like it would do more harm than pre spawn?

There's a good article in the latest Outdoor Canada on why not to fish the spawn when bass are on the nest. Not only does it leave all the fry open to predation but also can stress the bass to the point of death as they are already weak from not feeding and protecting the nest for weeks.

Personally I'm against it but granted they aren't nesting yet. If they were to open the spawning season to Walleye folks would be all up in arms I would expect.

Cheers

Yeah I went fishing for crappie and perch today in town where it's open to find me a nickle. No pic's as it was a "lay down on the dock and unhook" type of release.

Good lad right here. ^^^^

Bass on the Maitland were the first softwater fish my girlfriend had ever caught and they were good size. At first she was sad that we couldn't take pics but rules are important. She'll catch more this summer.

Good lad right here. ^^^^

Bass on the Maitland were the first softwater fish my girlfriend had ever caught and they were good size. At first she was sad that we couldn't take pics but rules are important. She'll catch more this summer.

Here I thought at 1st I had a massive crappie or perch on as the slip float barely moved and it did such a mild hookset. LOL! After seeing it was a bass I did everything in my power to let it self release but no luck so hence the lay-down on the dock area to let it go.

To clarify. we only fish the pre spawn. Never do we hang over bass beds(purposely) with senkos or anything else. Once water hits 60 degrees we give it up. Best fishing is in the 55 degree range.

Been doing it for about 5 years now and it tides me over until Muskie season and bass opener on Canadian soil.

Edited by BigJack1

We watch Smallies spawn and then guard the beds from the deck. I can tell you even though I am not a Marine Biologist Smallmouth feed while guarding the beds. I can even tell you when, early AM and early evening. They will scoop up bugs on the water surface as well as minnows, they will chase them until the minnows beach themselves. I don't know what expert said they don't feed during post spawn guarding beds. They can sit on beds for more than 2 weeks. Nothing will survive not eating for that long. They torpedo Carp that come anywhere near the beds, as well as smaller Bass that want to take the bed over for themselves. It's neat to see this each and every year. Students from Brock came out one year and filmed the spawn and post spawn. I lost the videos they shot. I could write a short book describing what I have seen including trying to sway the ladies to their "bed", 2 at a time sometimes. Then they do the dance. Some of those females are 7 pound plus size fish. Once the females are spawned out hey sit on it's side on the bottom and look dead. You can reach down and pick them up which I did when I thought one fish was dead. My bad, I am glad they only look dead, that fish went 6 pounds at least.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

^^^cool!

I get to watch the spawn here if conditions are perfect on the river, so not too often. But it sure is cool to watch.

It was open season then too but it's changed since. Used to be year round, now rainy river is an exemption..

I've never seen 6 or 7lbers though. Maybe some pushing 4

There are some big Smallies on Erie Rick, very big. Last year was the first time I have seen Gar Pike spawn here in what we call the aquarium. Similar to how Carp do it, they spawn out front/back too. Several males squeeze the eggs from a single female. Looked like a gaggle of snakes. I'm sure a group of snakes isn't a gaggle. What is a group of snakes called? Learned last night on Jeopardy a group of Cats is a clowder, who knew.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Oh I know, thats why I wanna fish it one day lol.

We get nickels the right time of year but it's very rare to see bigger.

My kiddo caught the biggest smallies I've ever seen 3-4 years back on a lil spincast rod, 6lbs 4oz me thinks. Rediculous fish around here

Gar, that's way to cool. Those fish scare the crap outta me. Only time I enjoy them is moosebunks reports lol. Is wear sawfiling gloves just to handle those

OI the author of that article was Barry Corbett, with 35 years as a fisheries biologist in Canada. To be specific, he writes that "normally he won't feed while on guard, ensuring that he doesn't accidentally eat his offspring. This self imposed fasting has it's drawbacks, such as exhaustion and even death"

Cheers

im alive!

We only caught a quick storm on the way down heading into windsor. Pretty good downpour but then great weather the rest of the way down.

A cold front moved through on saturday evening though and we ended up getting pinched between two tornado warnings. The rain that came down while we had some southern barbecue in guntersville was perhaps some of the heaviest I have ever seen. It then proceeded to downpour on and off without stopping until we left at 9am sunday.

Tennessee was flooding up pretty good in spots but we made it out.

We kind of got lucky, the hardest rain seemed to go north and south of us.

Guntersville bite was friggin tough as heck. even the tourney results this past weekend werent great. Winner of a 240 boat tourney was 39 lbs!

Edited by AKRISONER

im alive!

We only caught a quick storm on the way down heading into windsor. Pretty good downpour but then great weather the rest of the way down.

A cold front moved through on saturday evening though and we ended up getting pinched between two tornado warnings. The rain that came down while we had some southern barbecue in guntersville was perhaps some of the heaviest I have ever seen. It then proceeded to downpour on and off without stopping until we left at 9am sunday.

Tennessee was flooding up pretty good in spots but we made it out.

We kind of got lucky, the hardest rain seemed to go north and south of us.

Guntersville bite was friggin tough as heck. even the tourney results this past weekend werent great. Winner of a 240 boat tourney was 39 lbs!

Glad to hear you had a safe trip, it would have been nice with better results?

OI the author of that article was Barry Corbett, with 35 years as a fisheries biologist in Canada. To be specific, he writes that "normally he won't feed while on guard, ensuring that he doesn't accidentally eat his offspring. This self imposed fasting has it's drawbacks, such as exhaustion and even death"

Cheers

I also read his article in the magazine and would say he is very accurate as well. I watch the spawn from both LargeMouth and SmallMouth every year for the past 9 or 10 years in crystal clear waters. The only thing he didn't get into is the time period after the eggs hatch. The male guards the fry as he herds them around for about 2 or 3 weeks. As soon as the ball of fry start to disperse and break up, he will turn and devour as many as possible! He has literally been starved for all this time while on guard. It is a very strange situation.