impeller replacement

Rizzo

If you are lucky the seafoam you added will make it to the carb. Id change the plugs and try again tomorrow. I have seen seafoam foul plugs on a really dirty engine a few timea.

What kind of kill switch is on this engine?

S.

Spend the 100 bucks and take it in to a Marine mechanic. Sometimes you just have to "call the guy".

If it was 100 bucks I would definitely call the guy. The problem is there's plenty of guys trying to make a weeks salary from one carb rebuild/ cleaning.

There's usually some form of drain plug or screw on the float bowl of the carb.

By removing the plug or loosening this screw, will tell you whether there's fuel getting into the carb.

With the info I had, I googled 8 hp Nissan and got this pic.

_57_zpsmeo1pxpa.jpg?t=1492685816

If this looks like your carb the drain screw is the one circled?

Once loosened or removed you should see fuel dribbling from the bowl; if not try pumping the fuel prime bulb.

If the bulb becomes hard and there's still no fuel dribbling; try tapping the carb's fuel bowl with a screwdriver handle. Don't beat the crap out of it; but a number of solid smacks. If the float or the needle is stuck; the pressure from the prime bulb and you hitting the bowl may knock it loose and allow the fuel to enter the carb?

There also a chance that the pulse fuel pump is clogged, due to the rubber diaphragms becoming rotted and coming apart. The fuel pump is the square bit on the side of the carb. Four screws a couple of diaphragms and a spring is all that's in there nothing magical about it.

Give this a try and let us know what you find?

Dan.

Edited by DanD

Wow you guys are awesome with the replies. Luckily a local member has offered to have a look so hopefully we can get it going. The former owner has also told me he will look after getting it running but since he lives in Barrie hope this works first rather than figuring out how to get it to him

• 3 weeks later...

My guess is the carb jets are clogged. I had a 9.8 tohatsu a few years back that had this issue. Took out the jets and cleaned them out and ran like a champ after that.

Doubt it's the thermostat or impeller. Would have to run a lot longer than that to shut off.... If it even has any time of thermal protection.

Edited by Spooled

how the story ends..(I did a separate thread on this)....there was a ton of water in the gas tank the original owner gave me. Lesson learned,,,don't use someone else's gas! Freshtrax came over, took everything apart...we drained gas a couple of times...took carb apart twice... got rid of a whole bunch of gas...got er running and now she runs like a champ!