Exemption for fishing license due to mental disability, please help define

Old Ironmaker

I have a pal that fishes with me on occasion and he unfortunately has a mental disability and receives a disability pension for it. I don't think he needs a fishing licence, if he had a disabled parking permit it would be simple but he is physically fit as a fiddle. If anyone can explain to me what the hell is meant from the 2017 regs. I have copied below. How can he prove he requires direct assistance from another person to fish? A letter from his Dr. maybe. The 4 prescriptions he is on? I don't know. Thanks.

2. any licence, permit, certificate or identification card issued by the Government of Canada or a provincial or territorial government of Canada that indicates the persons name and date of birth. This individual must require the direct assistance of another person to fish and to follow applicable laws in respect of fishing because of a condition of mental impairment or a developmental disability, a learning disability or dysfunction or a mental disorder. The person accompanying the above person does not require a fishing licence if they are only assisting, but must have a licence if they wish to engage in fishing.

Actually this brings up a conversation I had with the lady this week, she has her aunt and cousin coming by to get their hair done and she has a cousin with down sydrome (non verbal) that LOVES to fish, So I was planning on taking him down to the grand somewhere, even if it's just chucking some lures he's happy as a clam... So thanks for posting the reg on it as I hadn't looked it up yet!

He has severe PTSD and panic disorder. Sometimes when he gets a fish on he gets so worked up he has a panic attack. If he loses the fish oh my. He has to pop a pill under his tongue. His hands shake so much fishing he can't put a lure on a line. Sad to see as 10 years ago he was fine. A very bad childhood and things just came to a boil when he hit 40. You could write a book about this kid and not believe it, like a little brother to all my Family. We've known him since he was 15 and he was living on the streets when my brother found him and brought him home for dinner one night and he stayed for 6 months. He loves fishing.

He has severe PTSD and panic disorder. Sometimes when he gets a fish on he gets so worked up he has a panic attack. If he loses the fish oh my. He has to pop a pill under his tongue. His hands shake so much fishing he can't put a lure on a line. Sad to see as 10 years ago he was fine. A very bad childhood and things just came to a boil when he hit 40. You could write a book about this kid and not believe it, like a little brother to all my Family. We've known him since he was 15 and he was living on the streets when my brother found him and brought him home for dinner one night and he stayed for 6 months. He loves fishing.

Wow, my sympathies.

You kinda know my story OI, but I too have PTSD so I know first hand how it can be.

But, fishing is what calms me. I will have the odd panic attack in the boat and it's such an overwhelming feeling of impending death, it will make you do some crazy stuff.

I could tell you you're never get me out on the big lakes without being medicated half to death.

One thing you learn is your triggers. And you have to face them, that when you make improvements, but it's incredibly hard.

Best wishes to your friend OI, I know how hard the struggle is

Somewhere in my internet travels, I came across a page entitled something like " Ask a Game Warden " for Ontario, can't find it now :wallbash: People could post questions and MNRF staff would answer, anyone recall the link? could be useful here.

edit: I wouldn't trust a phone call , call 6 different offices and get 6 different answers, and nothing in print.

Edited by dave524

Up here it might take you a dozen calls to get a real live person on the phone. Then the odds you get someone that knows anything is a miracle. But I'll try. I think I'll call the local C.O.s office.

Don't call local. Try our office. I always get one on within a minute or so.

1-807-274-5337

I believe the MNR has little interest in allowing people to use these exemptions. As some of you know I became disabled over a decade ago and had questions about proving this will fishing. I went to the MNR both at the sportsman show and asked a CO and was told the only thing to use was my accessible parking pass. Were I launch my boat in IBP there is handicap parking which I need or I go home because I can't walk from the back parking lot. Senior's use them up because they believe they are for them but that's another rant. So I ask if a photocopy of the parking pass will do. No NO I must decide between parking or fishing. I've bought a fishing licence every year and too many years I don't even make it out in spite of hoping to.

I think they put this exemption in the regulations just to look good, to look less like a money grab but have know intention of letting people use it.

Good luck,good fishing and good on you for taking your buddy out. :clapping:

You don't call them a verbal answer means nothing

Get an email address and send an email

If they give you the answer you want , print it off and take it with you for proof. Even if the CO thinks it's wrong he can't charge you because you have the email

I believe the MNR has little interest in allowing people to use these exemptions. As some of you know I became disabled over a decade ago and had questions about proving this will fishing. I went to the MNR both at the sportsman show and asked a CO and was told the only thing to use was my accessible parking pass. Were I launch my boat in IBP there is handicap parking which I need or I go home because I can't walk from the back parking lot. Senior's use them up because they believe they are for them but that's another rant. So I ask if a photocopy of the parking pass will do. No NO I must decide between parking or fishing. I've bought a fishing licence every year and too many years I don't even make it out in spite of hoping to.

I think they put this exemption in the regulations just to look good, to look less like a money grab but have know intention of letting people use it.

Good luck,good fishing and good on you for taking your buddy out. :clapping:

the rules state that a black and white copy of of your parking pass is sufficient to show the mnr while fishing here is the ontario govt site

https://www.ontario.ca/faq/do-i-need-fishing-licence-if-i-have-disability

In plainspeak this is telling you that to qualify for license free fishing the person must

1) be incapable of fishing independently

2) be incapable of learning fishing regs

These sort of people would have assistants at school or where they live if they are living independently. They wouldn't be able to go grocery shopping without an assistant. The law was written for those who would have been in the "retarded" classes when we went to school. It would include those with Downs, Autism, and "mental retardation". Yet, severe Schizophrenia might fit the bill as could possibly PTSD.

The first part is just asking that the person carry identification that gives the persons name and date of birth. If it were me I'd have him bring a VET card if he fought in a war. Who is going to deny that if he has severe PTSD?

Edited by scuro2