Wacky Spinning Rod

guastels

I had a 6'6" med fast and went to a 7' med fast action rod so I can cast a bit farther with a bit more leverage and not needing to go to a MH and suites me just fine. And my Med rod I found felt better and a tad bit lighter than the MH of the same size and brand BUT that may have been all in my head too. I just know I like my 7' med fast rod for stick baits cause I can get them farther when needed or more on the spot I truly want when closer to flip it in the pocket. But that is just me...

for whacky rigging specifically id go medium because whackys typically arent fished right in the slop. Ive always fished them on right on the slop edges.

all about application.

if you are whack rigging on GB totally different story vs rice lake. Consider the lake you are fishing and if the rod would also have application elsewhere. Also consider the rod brand...ive felt MH's that felt like heavies and in higher end rods, mediums that feel like a cheap MH so its all dependant on brand and application.

Edited by AKRISONER

KISS

I carry 3 sizes of rods, 5'6", 6'2", 6"7.

Pannies, walleye, pike, musky, bass, suckers, etc all covered.

I prefer MH.

Hate all you want but I've hauled in great size fish without having to use 30 rods.

I've once went 7' and hated everything about it. 3 rods donated to kids. I hate longer rods.

Proper reels/line take casting distance out of the equation.

Im not cut from the same cloth. I believe in the 6'7" for any bigger species. Doesn't matter the technique.

Long rods lose more fish, short rods lose more fish when it's not the target species. 6'7" MH will land any freshwater fish in ontario

But don't listen to me. Im the tinfoil hat of OFC lol

5'6?

how many muskys you land on that pink barbie rod manitou? :Gonefishing:

5'6" is for pannies but I did land a 42" pike on rainy lake on it about 5 years ago. 6lb mono. Super crappy rod too, one of my kids Walmart specials. I forget the brand??? One of those rods you get a free lil tackle kit with

But I got a 46" pike on the 6'7" no issues and a 106" sturgeon. 20lb braid

Edited by manitoubass2

too bad they don't make the shimano Zuraca anymore.my first fishing rod and the best. 6.6 medium action rod, with a silky smooth reel. hauled in 2 20+ lb salmon last year with rod that rod/reel with 15lb line.

Personally I like anything made by Shimano.

Edited by huzzsaba

Med vs Med hvy depends on the type of fishing you'll be doing. If I was fishing largies I'd be using 15 - 20lb line and a weedless hook...here I use a MH rod. For smallies, it's open water, lighter line and fine wire hooks... I use a med rod in a longer length, 7'.

Decide which type of fishing you'll do more of and go that way. A middle of the road scenario would be a MV rod 7'.