Brantford Walleye GUY--I am NOT a poacher ( i finally get to defend myself)

Raiders Fan

Recently there was a posted thread featuring pics of me holding a walleye at a location in Brantford Ontario, followed up by a witchhunt of people throwing jabs at me mindlessly with no information or facts and without me being able to defend myself due to the wait time to get admission to the site forums. Well i'm here now and I would really like a chance to defend myself. First off let me introduce myself, I am a father of four and a project manager at a gas refinery, I work most of my life away but when I'm not working I like to spend quality time with my kids. A couple times a year I like to go fishing with my kids because they love it so much. Can you blame them? I also teach my kids the regs and the laws of fishing, we measure fish and never keep more than our regulated share, and we have never poached any fish in our lives, anywhere, anytime, EVER. A week and a half prior to this picture we were fishing at this spot, Myself, my friend, my son. Walleye were still in season, that's what we were fishing for at the time. Caught a few, my friend kept his limit, we let ours go. A week and a half later we wen't back to that spot for a totally different reason, we changed our presentation, put monster minnow shads on with skirts and spinners to try and target some big pike because we had seen a picture someone had posted on fishbrain of a monster caught right in that area. Our intention was not to catch any walleye at all that day because they were no longer in season but to get a pike because we only had a week or so left to get one before that particular season ended. We did get a few pike, 3 to be exact that day, nothing spectacular, couple darts. About twenty minutes before we were about to leave I hooked into what I thought was a much better pike, it had some fight, after getting it about twenty feet from shore we realized it wasn't a pike at all, it was a good size walleye, the one you all saw in the pic, the fish was released back into the river just as the others were the week before as most of the time we just fish for the pictures and rarely eat any fish out of the grand river. That walleye in question was never intentionally baited and was released safely back into nature with the hopes that the hook up would not affect the spawning routine of the female in question. I AM NOT AN ANIMAL, I care about nature, the regs, the laws and hope that our fisheries can last many more years for my kids and their kids to enjoy. Just wanted to say, that it wasn't fair the way I was persecuted on these forums or the way that so many depicted my attitude and frame of mind towards fishing and the laws surrounding the sport I love so much. I'm sorry I caught that beautiful fish by total accident but it happens, and all I could do at that point was to put her back where she belonged, To all those people that made me out o be some kind of monster or who threatened to call the MNRF on me all can say is this, find out all the facts before lighting your torches and chasing down an innocent person. You could do irreparable damage that can't be reversed. Think how my children would have looked at this situation, you could have scarred them from wanting to go anywhere near a river o lake for the rest of their lives. Sometimes the power of social media can get the best of everybody involved but that's no excuse to place a tag on someone you have never met or have no idea about. In closing, I haven't broke any laws and will admit to no wrong doing here. I will patiently wait for pickerel season to reopen so I can enjoy a fish with my kids in the beautiful surrounding nature. Look around you people, with all that's going on in the world right now, a little positivity and brothership towards others instead of slander and ill fate is needed right now, wouldn't you agree. And to the fine gentleman who was my voice when I was waiting for my chance to talk on my behalf, God bless sir, you deserve the best things in life and your kind words were and are greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the explanation.. You should never post pictures of out of season fish though. The Grand River is a vulnerable fishery due to several different factors. We don't want to encourage the guys who would go out and catch and keep those fish..

I am glad you have had a chance to respond here. Yes indeed if you caught a Walleye between January 1st and March 15th in Zone 16 you are good to go, Sports license 4 with not more than 1 greater than 18.1 inches, 2 with a conservation licence, same slot size.

What may have come into question is the definition of "Immediate Release Of Fish" 4th paragraph down on page 8 of the 2017 regs. It has been proven in a court that immediate means right away, not taking the time to take a photograph of the fish. Take the hook out and release it immediately, injured or not. I personally don't think taking a picture of it is going to kill the fish, but theoretically you may have been in contravention of the regs. by delaying it's release.

I wish you the best, you sure don't sound like an ax murderer to me.

The so called TV Pros hang fish out to dry for 30 Seconds or more and tourney guys harass, stress and lug fish around in their wells all day and that's ok I guess.

I've never had an issue snapping a pic of a decent fish even if it is OOS nor do I put much stock in what those who would take issue with this practice have to say. Good on you for setting the record straight.

Edited cause auto correct blows.

Edited by moxie

I wish I had of seen the original thread too..I live in Brantford and would like to see some big eyes commin out of the river..I can only get slot fish to bite..Thats great if you want dinner.. I want to catch some big fish too..lol

That's one infraction I don't take much stock in. But yeah it may look bad to others fishing the area.

I myself have posted pics of sturgeon where it's immediate release, although I've had the go ahead from local CO's

In fact, a local here, Aaron Shirley has filmed a show at that one spot, clearly targeting sturgeon (which is a no no), sorry Aaron.

Anyhow, im glad you got in your 2 cents. You sound like a decent fellow and I wish ya tight lines and health.

The idea of taking pictures of out of season fish is debated so often here and on other fishing forums, often resulting in a 50/50 split on the issue with a lot of stone throwing involved. Some will do it and some wont, so let's leave it at that.

That being said I think it's sort of an unwritten rule that you shouldn't post pictures of a fish during the closed season for that species of fish. I know your intentions were good (after reading your post) but a picture without any description or context may be misleading for others. Some may think the picture was taken yesterday and so they grab a rod and head to the river to go after out of season fish. As good ambassadors for the sport we should always help enforce the rules of fishing, and err on the side of caution when sharing our catch - had your picture description read "caught March 7th during open season" I don't think the original thread would have been started at all.

Part of the problem is that we all know too well how underfunded the MNR is and we therefore take on a disproportionate level of responsibility for keeping our fisheries healthy, which often means policing those who fail to do so. As a result I think there lessons to be learned on both sides; members shouldn't be quick to assume without context, and the poster needs to provide context so others don't assume.

At the end of the day the fishery wasn't harmed as we had originally thought, and that's what we should all really care about, right?

Cheers,

FF17

The so called TV Pros hang fish out to dry for 30 Seconds or more and tourney guys harass, stress and lug fish around in their wells all day and that's ok I guess.

I've never had an issue snapping a pic of a decent fish even if it is OOS nor do I put much stock in what those who would take issue with this practice have to say. Good on you for setting the record straight.

Edited cause auto correct blows.

You can debate whether it is okay for tournament anglers to lug fish around in their live wells and cull them through out the day. But it is legal for them do so.

If a TV Pro is letting an out of season fish out to dry for 30 seconds, then I would say they are breaking the law. It is probably legal for an in season fish.

The fish that inspired this thread was out of season and must be released immediately. Taking a few seconds to take a picture before releasing the fish may very well be less harmfal than culling a bass that has been in the livewell for half a day. But the law favours the tournament bass fisherman who culled the bass that has been in his livewell for three hours; not on the side of the casual fisherman who took three seconds to photograph an out of season fish.

Edited by JohnBacon

sorry but when you read his facebook, you pretty much have to believe he poached them

maybe because he did not write things right but

where did you catch them and he tells them then says i smash them here every year

not i smash them when the season was open

i do believe even if you say you are fishing for other fish but are smashing oos fish you are poaching

i dont know what the truth is , but you have not convinced me...

Culling in season Bass is a bit different than catching an OOS fish and then bragging about it. We all have to be careful what we write online.

M2B2 you named a person that you accused of filming a show catching Sturgeon where they aren't to be fished for in that area, which is a no no I think you said is what I took from your statement. Saying "I know of a local" and not naming him may be different legally, I don't know.

Culling in season Bass is a bit different than catching an OOS fish and then bragging about it. We all have to be careful what we write online.

M2B2 you named a person that you accused of filming a show catching Sturgeon where they aren't to be fished for in that area, which is a no no I think you said is what I took from your statement. Saying "I know of a local" and not naming him may be different legally, I don't know.

He filmed a show illegally catching sturgeon. I know, I have the show on DVD. It's 1000 yards from my house, the guide is a person I used to call a friend...

I have zero issue calling out Aaron. That being said, it's more on the guide IMO, and that's Harvey Cochrane. A great guy turned addict. He was my neighbor. He went full scam artist so it's plausible Aaron had no idea (but he should have known).

I'll call out any poacher. Friend foe brother whatever. It is what it is.

Nobody should do this. But, I'll give Aaron the benefit of the doubt. Sometimes you don't do your homework when a guide is involved. But it was still illegal. In the episode they clearly target sturgeon

You can debate whether it is okay for tournament anglers to lug fish around in their live wells and cull them through out the day. But it is legal for them do so.

If a TV Pro is letting an out of season fish out to dry for 30 seconds, then I would say they are breaking the law. It is probably legal for an in season fish.

The fish that inspired this thread was out of season and must be released immediately. Taking a few seconds to take a picture before releasing the fish may very well be less harmfal than culling a bass that has been in the livewell for half a day. But the law favours the tournament bass fisherman who culled the bass that has been in his livewell for three hours; not on the side of the casual fisherman who took three seconds to photograph an out of season fish.

Referring to shows where the time between netting, removing the hook and then being held up for the camera while choking for air and where tournaments are concerned, they should be banned from keeping fish in a livewell. Weigh the fish , release it and move on. Its a "Just because it's legal doesn't make it right" thing for me.

Yeah, I saw the photo. And the internet was against you. I didn't hop on the band wagon because you may not have known that you shouldn't post photos of an OOS fish... not everyone does. I've been there, but I mentioned I had caught an accidental OOS bass. Luckily, I didn't get attacked like yourself, I was just informed that I shouldn't do that. Internet communities are finicky and unruly things. Best of luck to ya bud, tight lines.

Raiders Fan, I'm with you 100%.........the haters here and elsewhere over a picture in season or out of season is crazy at best. If I caught a lifetime size out of season fish I too would take a pic and carefully release the critter for another day. Anyone who has a problem with that, TOO BAD I say including any law enforcement personal who should be busy with more important violations that run a muck here. Maybe it's time to change this stupid law too.

Those who pretend to be the holiest are usually those who are the biggest offenders.........nuff said.