Booking a guide, to find out they've subcontract/hired an assistant.

Tjames09

So I was looking at getting a guide for the beginning of the year. And Most guides operate solo, and its usually pretty upfront they are such (you're paying to hire the specific person, not the business really). I was in contact with the owner of a business and booked a guided trip with him as he is reputable as a good guide and I was looking to hire him specifically.

Once I settled the booking, he advised me my guide would be "so and so". I was kind of shocked, and didnt know what to say, other than who is "so and so" (I thought he operated a solo business). He advised he's taking the year off guiding and has hired assistants or subcontracts if you will. I feel awkward cancelling, as I have no idea who the other person is and I was looking for the specific person I was talking to as they are very reputable at being a good guide. The pricing is still the same as if it was the owner as well.

Now no money was exchanged and I havent lost my time, but I feel a little duped into making the booking, and there's a mild commitment on my behalf to follow through. I think if a business that uses the person as the service such as guiding fishing trips (IE your booking with a specific person because they're known to be good at fishing) then they need to be up front saying "hey, you're not booking with me, I'm taking a break, but I've found someone else whose going to be filling in".

Anyways, guess this is just a rant and really nothing more.

So I was looking at getting a guide for the beginning of the year. And Most guides operate solo, and its usually pretty upfront they are such (you're paying to hire the specific person, not the business really). I was in contact with the owner of a business and booked a guided trip with him as he is reputable as a good guide and I was looking to hire him specifically.

Once I settled the booking, he advised me my guide would be "so and so". I was kind of shocked, and didnt know what to say, other than who is "so and so" (I thought he operated a solo business). He advised he's taking the year off guiding and has hired assistants or subcontracts if you will. I feel awkward cancelling, as I have no idea who the other person is and I was looking for the specific person I was talking to as they are very reputable at being a good guide. The pricing is still the same as if it was the owner as well.

Now no money was exchanged and I havent lost my time, but I feel a little duped into making the booking, and there's a mild commitment on my behalf to follow through. I think if a business that uses the person as the service such as guiding fishing trips (IE your booking with a specific person because they're known to be good at fishing) then they need to be up front saying "hey, you're not booking with me, I'm taking a break, but I've found someone else whose going to be filling in".

Anyways, guess this is just a rant and really nothing more.

I don't think that you need to feel bad if you cancel. Just be upfront with the guy about why you don't want to follow through.

Alternatively, perhaps he can give some references that you make you feel a little more at ease with the other guide. You won't know until you talk to him.

Cancel. You will not feel you are getting your moneys worth even if the fill in is a better guide. That isn't what I would call good business practice and you better believe he is putting money in his pocket too. I would cancel no problem and if I did send a deposit I would get it back, it wasn't the deal.

John posted while I was typing, he has a reasonable approach but I wouldn't trust the guy much after misleading me. He knew when you were making the deal he wasn't going to do the job but never let on. Why not I ask? It would have been very easy to be up front and if he was and sold me on a replacement I may have still booked it.

Did you buy a boat?

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Cancel. You will not feel you are getting your moneys worth even if the fill in is a better guide. That isn't what I would call good business practice and you better believe he is putting money in his pocket too. I would cancel no problem and if I did send a deposit I would get it back, it wasn't the deal.

John posted while I was typing, he has a reasonable approach but I wouldn't trust the guy much after misleading me. He knew when you were making the deal he wasn't going to do the job but never let on. Why not I ask? It would have been very easy to be up front and if he was and sold me on a replacement I may have still booked it.

Same. Walk. No remorse as you booked for "Jim" and asked for "Jim" and get "Bob".

No, I ordered a red car this blue one isn't what I ordered so no deal....

That being said if your having second thoughts then I'd cancel... if you don't and it's tough fishing you'll be blaming the replacement guide and you'll be bitter

Hence the very reason I said to walk from it, that very reason.

I don't think I'd be cancelling so quickly. I'd call the guy and express my concerns. I'd request references from people that fished with "so and so". I'd ask questions like " how long have you been using "so and so"". "How many years has he guided that particular water". I'd also request his contact info and speak to him directly.

Again, cancelling with zero follow up is just a knee jerk reaction because you feel slighted. Get over it and do some homework...just like you did ( I hope) when you picked the first guy.

Well no money has been exchanged so easy to walk away and I am sure the guide would understand. I would do some research on the new guy....maybe its the main guide's assistant who has fished with him hundreds of times and you will get the exact same information

Did you buy a boat?

I did buy a boat! I went with the Legend I had mentioned before. Its a 16 Xcalibur with a 60HP bigfoot. Had everything we were looking for: windshield, rear bench, good beam (82"), 16.5 foot, trolling motor, included the bicycle seats front and back, has full Bimini, and the previous owner had it garage stored and it looked brand new. And the price was below my budget which helped. We did a water test and we were cruising at 36MPH with three people in the boat and full tank of gas.

We looked at a bunch of used boats in person and a lot of them were trashed inside and out, tons of dock rash, carpet needing replacing, floors feeling soft, etc.

If it's a Muskie trip and the guide you are getting's name is Pete then no worries. Just go with him. He will get u on Muskie and teach u the ropes.

Its not Pete, haha. Ive been out with Pete before, great guy and knows his Muskies.

Edited by Tjames09

I don't think I'd be cancelling so quickly. I'd call the guy and express my concerns. I'd request references from people that fished with "so and so". I'd ask questions like " how long have you been using "so and so"". "How many years has he guided that particular water". I'd also request his contact info and speak to him directly.

Again, cancelling with zero follow up is just a knee jerk reaction because you feel slighted. Get over it and do some homework...just like you did ( I hope) when you picked the first guy.

X2

As a small business owner myself I have crossed this path a couple times. As sometimes I will send my brother who I work with because I can not be there, and they will call asking if I will be in today as they aren't firmiliar with him and his skill set. I assure them that he's fully capable of doing he job or he wouldn't be there. So as stated before call the guide service and ask question about "Bob" and if you still don't feel comfortable then cancel.

Congrats on the boat!

Edited by Musky Plug

I did buy a boat! I went with the Legend I had mentioned before. Its a 16 Xcalibur with a 60HP bigfoot. Had everything we were looking for: windshield, rear bench, good beam (82"), 16.5 foot, trolling motor, included the bicycle seats front and back, has full Bimini, and the previous owner had it garage stored and it looked brand new. And the price was below my budget which helped. We did a water test and we were cruising at 36MPH with three people in the boat and full tank of gas.

Congrats on the new boat Tjames..I know you were looking for a long time so glad you found something in time for some good fishing.

Well no money has been exchanged so easy to walk away and I am sure the guide would understand. I would do some research on the new guy....maybe its the main guide's assistant who has fished with him hundreds of times and you will get the exact same information

This

Ask and dont over think.

Then make your decision. Be up front and honest. I would expect the same from the owner.

Congrats on the new boat. I know you will enjoy it and it sounds like the boat you wanted, and under budget. How great is that. When I bought my 1st real boat I would get up in the middle of the night and flip on the light and see her sitting in the driveway and I knew I wasn't dreaming. I haven't had that feeling since I was a kid and bought my first car. Enjoy and go slam em'.

I would not worry if a guide service is using multiple boats/guides. they all share there info,bait colors etc. the job is to be pleasant,well groomed and put you onto fish.giving a great experience is why they stay in business..i wouldn't hesitate at the opportunity 1 bit.