Running a 60hp fs from a portable tank?

scugpg

I'm going to run my 60hp on a portable tank this summer as I don't get much use out of the boat and don't want gas sitting in the floor tank and getting stale.

Anyone run a 50 or 60 off a 6.6 gallon tank? Figure I'll get a few hrs of boating out of the tank as it pulls at most around 4.5gph WOT. Anything to consider in terms or pressure buildup to watch out for when storing etc?

Thanks

I run a 50hp 4s on a portable

Full day no issues unless I'm running all over like an idiot (happens sometimes lol)

I was hoping you'd reply Mike as I know you put your yammy to good use and wondered if you ran a portable. Do you leave the vent closed when not in use and have no issues?

I intend to run ethanol free gas - should the built in filter on the motor be sufficient or still consider a filter/separator?

Thanks again

I leave the vent open at all times

Regular gas so far has been fine... I do run stabilizer and sea foam from time to time for peace of mind

Unless I'm fishing a tournament ( like 50- 60 miles in a day) or trolling musky all day (4-6mph for 8+ hours) the portable is just fine

If I know I'm doing a monster day I have some 1 gallon tanks I can put in my storage compartments or just put em in my splash well to pour into the main part way through the day... again this is only when I know I'm gunna run hard for 10-12 hours or I'm in a tournament

I leave the vent open at all times

Regular gas so far has been fine... I do run stabilizer and sea foam from time to time for peace of mind

Unless I'm fishing a tournament ( like 50- 60 miles in a day) or trolling musky all day (4-6mph for 8+ hours) the portable is just fine

If I know I'm doing a monster day I have some 1 gallon tanks I can put in my storage compartments or just put em in my splash well to pour into the main part way through the day... again this is only when I know I'm gunna run hard for 10-12 hours or I'm in a tournament

Thanks... And presume your are running a 6.6gal portable?

My Uncle ran am old gas guzzling pig 75 Johnson on a portable. If we were going for a big run, 20 miles return maybe, we brought an extra tank of gas. Always keep the vent open on any gas tank, especially in the heat. It's always a good idea to me to run the best fuel available. It's a few cents a litre more. I still use a stabilizer in hi test when I know the fuel will sit. Not when I know I'm going through the tank in a few weeks maximum.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I'd be just doing small trips and trolling. Thanks for the replies guys. Wondered if portable tanks when pressurized would cause issues on the fuel system but I guess you never hear of that with smaller motors.

What do you mean by pressurized? Normally the tank is vented so it wouldn't be under pressure. The vent can be closed when you are not running the motor; but I never bothered. The only time I would close the vent would be if you are transporting in an enclosed vehicle.

Some old Evinrude/Johnson outboards did use pressurized tanks instead of having a fuel pump. But you don't see many of those.

I ran my 200 hp two stroke last season for four months on a 25 litre portable tank. I was nice to find out how much gas it actually uses. I use the big motor to go out about 3 km then shut it off till I return. It used about 12 litres for those two short trips but there were no other issues.

What do you mean by pressurized? Normally the tank is vented so it wouldn't be under pressure. The vent can be closed when you are not running the motor; but I never bothered. The only time I would close the vent would be if you are transporting in an enclosed vehicle.

I intend to have the vent closed when transporting and storing indoors connected to the motor. Will that cause an issue?

I intend to have the vent closed when transporting and storing indoors connected to the motor. Will that cause an issue?

As long as you remember to open the vent to run the motor, you should be fine. The tank may implode a little if it gets cold; but it should pop back into shape when you open the vent.

Keeping the tank topped up when you store it will minimize pressure issues. But you probably won't have any regardless.

I have a 50hp 4 stroke and have never used more than one tank in a day and could likely get 2 days easy for most of my fishing and that's with a lot of trolling and running. I have a second tank that I bring if I'm going a little more remote and don't want to spend a few hours driving to a gas station or want to have lots of fuel for a long run. I like to only use the top half of the tank whenever possible and haven't had an issue.

I have never closed the vent on my tank. I run a 40 off a 25l tank. Vent has never been touched. No need to worry about it with your engine either. I can fish for days with mine on a full tank. Never an issue with running our of fuel, unless its a reaaaaaal long run, but obviously if your doing that, you bring extra fuel.

S.

I have never closed the vent on my tank. I run a 40 off a 25l tank. Vent has never been touched. No need to worry about it with your engine either. I can fish for days with mine on a full tank. Never an issue with running our of fuel, unless its a reaaaaaal long run, but obviously if your doing that, you bring extra fuel.

S.

That's the thing. I want it closed when stored indoors as it will be venting fumes into to the space.

I used 2, 6 gallon tanks on my old Johnson VRO 50 hp engine for 30 years and neither tank had a vent. Never had a problem and only on a very rare occasion did I ever have to tap the second tank in the same day.

Stop worrying and go FISHING................ :clapping:

I used 2, 6 gallon tanks on my old Johnson VRO 50 hp engine for 30 years and neither tank had a vent. Never had a problem and only on a very rare occasion did I ever have to tap the second tank in the same day.

Stop worrying and go FISHING................ :clapping:

The motor wouldn't run if the tank wasn't vented. There has to be a way for air to get in to replace the gasoline that is being pumped into the engine.

The motor wouldn't run if the tank wasn't vented. There has to be a way for air to get in to replace the gasoline that is being pumped into the engine.

I don't recall any vent that had to be opened on my 80's vintage 9.9 Evinrude, just pump the bulb a few times and good to go.

Edited by dave524

Your boat built in tank is always vented there is not a way to close it. So if your boat is indoors before then you switch to a portable tank leaving it vented should not have a worse gas smell. I have two 14 gal tanks built in my Ranger on a GT150 I like having my gas split into two tanks I will never be farther away from the ramp using the one tank than the full one to get back on.

Art