Ice out slip bobber walleye.

limeyangler

Hi all,

Another video i'm afraid...lol. Well the ice is too sketchy for my comfort level now and so its time to get inventive for fishing opportunities while we wait for the ice to go. Still another 4 days till walleye season closes so I headed to a small dam in the hopes the current had cleared some ice.

There was plenty of room to cast as it turned out. As I was arriving a group of 5 people were leaving, they had a bucket with them and I thought it was full of fish, turns out it was empty and they had caught NOTHING! Undeterred I set up a slip bobber and cast up current, first pass and the bobber went under and I pulled in a nice walleye that proceeded to cough up half a dozen fresh minnows, lol, looks like it had fun with the group that just left.

No other bites despite walking 1km up and down the shore eventually returning to where I caught the first one. It was bloody cold and only the fact that I had to drive an hour to get there kept me there till it started to get dark, glad I did as the bite was insane! Got four keepers and some smaller ones went back, and it was really cool to see thousands of glowing eyes moving around the shallows in the dark with the aid of my headlamp, can't wait to show my boy Jack. Did not manage to get any footage of that as the footage was too dark too see but here is the video of some of the fish I caught.

My man, no better way to start the open water season Simon by getting one on your first cast. Slip Bobber eh? Got me thinking now. Hitting a lake that is basically a big bowl on opener. Drops to 20 feet a cast from the shore. Slip bobber might be in the cards. Now I have to buy some of those magic bobber stops.

Wow!! The only time I've seen walleye that plentiful was on a remote trip out of Nakina!

Re bobber stops---you can make your own from dental floss or ust tie a rubber band around the line and snip off the excess. Check out Youtube. Mind you, if I'm near a store that sells those little football shaped plastic jobbies, I'll buy those.

80lb braid makes an excellent bobber stop. I hate the little rubber football shape ones, they suck, and slide up your line on a cast, and get caught on your rod eyes reeling in so you have to adjust them all the time. I like my bobber stops to stay put. 80lb power pro, or 30lb mono works great.

S.