Trailer Wheel bearings

AKRISONER

Hey Guys,

In prep for my trip down to Alabama I am hoping to swap the wheel bearings on my trailer.

Definitely a very straightforward job except one catch...how in the heck do i determine what size bearings I need.

Ive swapped the wheel bearings and hub assembly on a car before, simple, you just order the right one for your car.

But for a trailer how the heck am I supposed to be able to determine the size. I guess if worst comes to worst I could just rip them out and take them somewhere to size match them but that really reduces my window to be able to get them before I leave on my trip.

Does anyone know if there is a stamp on the hub assembly, or a way to tell what size wheel bearing I need perhaps the bearing buddy size is an indication?

Sorry if this question is stupid I am just a total noob when it comes to trailers. The trailer is an 93-94 EZ loader. Single axle for a 16-17 foot fibreglass boat. If that helps?

Edited by AKRISONER

Trailer wheel bearings and or hubs are pretty much standardized; but you will need to know the weight rating of the trailer's axles. As in 1000 lbs, 1750 lbs ect, to get the proper ones.

The only other way to be sure you're getting the proper bearings, is to pull the hub and record the numbers of the inner and outer (some are the same) bearing. The bearing numbers will have a corresponding catalog number for the bearing races.

I use to keep a 1lb tub of wheel bearing grease in the truck; that I buried a set of packed bearings and hub seals into the grease. No worries of the weather getting at the bearings and they were ready to install.

Dan

Trailer wheel bearings and or hubs are pretty much standardized; but you will need to know the weight rating of the trailer's axles. As in 1000 lbs, 1750 lbs ect, to get the proper ones.

The only other way to be sure you're getting the proper bearings, is to pull the hub and record the numbers of the inner and outer (some are the same) bearing. The bearing numbers will have a corresponding catalog number for the bearing races.

I use to keep a 1lb tub of wheel bearing grease in the truck; that I buried a set of packed bearings and hub seals into the grease. No worries of the weather getting at the bearings and they were ready to install.

Dan

not ideal because all the shops are closed friday when I will be working on the trailer.

I guess i will just have to decide whether or not I want to pull the hub on saturday and race to get it done or wait until monday evening.

Anyone have any experience ordering these things? Do crappy can or princess auto typically have them in stock or are they an order and get them the next day type of thing?

Can you contact the trailer manufacturer to check? Unless you bought it new, if you take the numbers off the existing bearings you're relying on the last owner getting it right.

Just read your last post....if you contact the manufacturer you can call around now and get a set before you even touch the trailer Friday.

Edited by grimsbylander

Contrary to popular belief, not all are "standard", there are 1inch and 1 1/16th axles, some also have a larger inner bearing set. Take the hub off, take out the seal and see the numbers etched onto the edge of the cones. Also do yourself a favour and get double lipped seals, far more efficient at keeping the water out and grease in.

I'm telling you to get hub assembly because they are cheaper than purchasing everything individually. Also if you smoke a bearing it's quick and easy fix.

interesting call Garnet. Replacing the entire assembly actually looks easier than doing just the bearings!

Any recommendations on where to buy? I am going to get the serial number for the trailer tonight and hopefully i can figure out what the heck model trailer it is after calling EZ loader.

Thats the tough part, I know its an EZ loader but that basically means nothing.

Just pop one of the hubs off, remove and clean the inner and outer bearings and the grease seal.

Walk into CT or your preferred purveyor of wheel bearings and match em up.

You don't need to remove the races to do this.

Don't forget to replace them when you reinstall the new bearings though.

Just pop one of the hubs off, remove and clean the inner and outer bearings and the grease seal.

Walk into CT or your preferred purveyor of wheel bearings and match em up.

You don't need to remove the races to do this.

Don't forget to replace them when you reinstall the new bearings though.

if only it was this simple. I am in a slight snag...

The trailer is 300km away...i will be up there on friday, but of course nothing will be open. So that leaves me saturday to hopefully find a bearing in parry sound that will fit.

if I cant find a bearing up there I am in big trouble as I need to be back in Toronto for work on Monday with the trailer...I leave for guntersville on thursday morning.

I know so little about these bearings that i am praying that they will have one at parry sound canadian tire.

What i am really going to press to do is identify the trailer model tonight looking at the ownership and serial number. Hopefully then i can get on the phone with EZ loader and identify the size of either the hub or the wheel bearing. i will then be able to get a hub or wheel bearing down in toronto and simply bring them up north with me.

No one on here has a 93-95 ez loader single axle 16-17 foot trailer do they? I am guessing that they would all have the exact same wheel assemblies.

This may sound extreme, a friend of mine doesn't carry spare bearings or hubs; but a complete axle assembly.

His logic and rightfully so, is that by the time you feel a bearing has failed while driving; the inner race of one of the bearings is likely welded itself to the spindle. You're not getting that off, while on the side of the road; not unless you have torches and grinders.

Changing the axle, means undoing 4 u-bolts, dropping the old and stuffing the new axle in.

My shop is right off the 401, here in London and I see a lot of bearings failures during the summer. I'm also only 10 minutes from Princess Auto where I can buy a 3500 lb axle for around $250.00, complete with hubs. Usually a half hour to swap it out, using my shop equipment. For the customer, it works out to be about the same in total costs; but he's leaving with an undamaged spindle and axle.

Dan.

Edited by DanD

They seem to have a bunch of different kits in stock in Parry Sounds CT so they will most likely have what you need.

If they don't try Napa or TSC.

Your trailer is most likely a 2000# axle but could be a 3500# one.

If 2000# you probably have 1 1/8" straight bearings and if 3500# most likely staggered (inside bearing larger than outside) 1 1/4" axle.

But I'm pretty sure you will find what you need at CTC. ;)

Good luck.

They seem to have a bunch of different kits in stock in Parry Sounds CT so they will most likely have what you need.

If they don't try Napa or TSC.

Your trailer is most likely a 2000# axle but could be a 3500# one.

If 2000# you probably have 1 1/8" straight bearings and if 3500# most likely staggered (inside bearing larger than outside) 1 1/4" axle.

But I'm pretty sure you will find what you need at CTC. ;)

Good luck.

Hey Drifter,

I looked through EZ loader's entire line of trailers and I at least found some info relating to the weight capacity and the size of trailer

I know the approximate size of the trailer is 14-17foot as we measured the max length of boat it would haul.

it appears that the axles on these trailers are all 2000 series? if the weight capacity is 2350 would that matter re:axle size? or is a 2000 a 2000.

I also was able to confirm that they are all 5 bolt and I was able to get the bolt pattern so I am getting close!

So what I know is that the max length is definitely 17, its definitely adjustable and I 100% know that its a spring and not torsion model.

I also now have the VIN number, hopefully someone at EZ loader can give me a hand identifying what size hubs are on the trailer *fingers crossed*

model1.jpg model2.jpg

Edited by AKRISONER

That's the way I think too! I believe there are only two sizes?

this seems to be a common sentiment, and if the case thats exactly what I am going to do!

Im going to princess auto tonight and I hope to buy two entire assemblies, I may even buy both bearing kits as well and then use the one that fits and return the rest!

Or visit a Pep Boys after you cross the ditch and have them change them for you. They charged something like 35 USD an hour and not $115.00 that Crappie Tire does the last time I used them to do the brakes for less than 1/2 the price when I was forced to on the way to Myrtle Beach. Poor planning, my bad but I ended up saving money. I bet the bearings are a portion of the price. I wouldn't risk screwing the job up and stuck on the side of I-75 with a melted wheel. Not Rocket Science but I wouldn't risk ruining a trip.