Dirty Weather coming

captpierre

I have never understood the USA's lack of closed seasons...hammering fish while they spawn...but maybe its the warmth and the ability for fish to be able to grow quickly that saves you guys.

I have never understood the USA's lack of closed seasons...hammering fish while they spawn...but maybe its the warmth and the ability for fish to be able to grow quickly that saves you guys.

Maybe when you manage a fishery properly you can do that, you know, instead of just closing it.

Maybe when you manage a fishery properly you can do that, you know, instead of just closing it.

what would that entail though? As far as I have seen, catch and possession limits are higher with no closed seasons. I am not entirely sure how looser regs means better management?

Yes, real mixed emotions on that, there are only two rivers here in Ohio that feed Lake Erie that I know of that have any kind of a Walleye run, both have special regulations and reduced limits during it.

We don't have commercial netting of Walleye here in Ohio anymore, and that seems to have made a greater impact on a sustainable sport fishing population of them?

Catching Walleye in our inland lakes can also be a tough deal, most if not all are stocked fish.

what would that entail though? As far as I have seen, catch and possession limits are higher with no closed seasons. I am not entirely sure how looser regs means better management?

I'm not sure either. Maybe they have better stocking programs and less commercial fishing

All the rivers I passed today were flooded or close to it. The Burnt River Fire Dept (and others) were out filling sand bags and stocking them at the end of the parking lot for locals to come get free and use that live on the river. The Burnt has gone up BIG in the last week! From decks being a foot above the water to now being well below.

Edited by GBW

Does it really matter if they are a lot pregnant or just a little bit preggo, if they go in the cooler or on a stringer they aren't going to spawn again. :tease:

A part of this is simply we believe what we were told to believe. I always thought it was strange when my father would say you should never EVER catch a bass during the spawning season because it will cause serious issues to the population. And then head to the river to pound rainbows and watch the eggs spew out on the bank as you try to release them. Whatever. There cannot be one set of rules for all fish but I'll be fishing smallies as soon as the weather cooperates on Erie. The US has an open season which allows artificial baits and catch and release. As far as this armchair biologist can determine, it's had no ill effect on the fishery. The fish are plentiful and getting bigger. The US side is still the hot spot for many Canadian run bass tournaments as well. This means we have a lake with a fishing/no fishing line down the middle. Now, how dumb is that?? Either the Canadian regs are prohibiting fishing for no good reason or the American regs are allowing damage to the population...it has to be one or the other.

I don't have to look outside or check the Weather Channel to know it's raining and cold. I just gauge the weather by the effort to get ambulatory in the AM.

Went by Southbrook Golf Course yesterday and #'s 11, 12 and what I could see of 13 were completely under brown creek water, not a spot of grass. I don't know why Binbrook floods so much. The mudline here on Erie is out about 5 miles. Many years we played our first round of golf on April 1st, green, dry and warm. "What's going on around here?". (Vince Lombardi circa 1964)

Talk about open seasons during spawn in the US, don't forget Lake Erie Walleye and Pike are open 365 days a year in Ontario, just try and find one. If you know where to go you will.

Edited by Old Ironmaker