Steelhead

Tjames09

Do they stay closer to the main lake (like the mouth of the river) or do they go way down the river. Theres two rivers Im looking at, but the rivers are massive, and not sure where on the river I should go. Close to the main lake or way in land.

Not sure anyone will help with this, I know people are really fussy with trout advice.

Do they stay closer to the main lake (like the mouth of the river) or do they go way down the river. Theres two rivers Im looking at, but the rivers are massive, and not sure where on the river I should go. Close to the main lake or way in land.

Not sure anyone will help with this, I know people are really fussy with trout advice.

Sharing the hows is all good. Nice to see you do realize the respect part.

Like said, once they are on the move, they are on their way up the river. Been a real funky winter, and have found there are fresh runs still heading up. The past few years, the trout have been way up and settled in way before norm. Thats up here though. I have lost track of how the southern tribs have been, as I dont fish them any more.

One real important note here. Make sure you know how far you can go up the system. Again, I dont follow the new and old rules down that way. You dont want to be fishing in a out of season section.

As for how far?????????

Credit river mouth, up to Norval. Google it and see the many miles they will travel.

Edited by Misfish

like 'Misfish' says they will go up as far as possible and the right conditions.

I'll give you an example, fish from the Notty will make their way up to the Pine as far as HWY 24!

They will find a way.

Oh there are further little tribs they will get to and go far.

Make sure the season is open before you start fishing :) You'll get fresh fish, drop backs and ones that are hanging out in the estuary water. They'll be all over the place.

ya not going until second saturday in April, its zone 16.

like 'Misfish' says they will go up as far as possible and the right conditions.

I'll give you an example, fish from the Notty will make their way up to the Pine as far as HWY 24!

They will find a way.

Thanks, Thats one of the rivers I was looking at. Not the pine though.

ya not going until second saturday in April, its zone 16.

Thanks, Thats one of the rivers I was looking at. Not the pine though.

Opener is the fourth Saturday in April. As to your question, you could have lazy fish spawning in the first run up from the lake and at the same time have fish so far up the same system that they run out of water.

Opener is the fourth Saturday in April. As to your question, you could have lazy fish spawning in the first run up from the lake and at the same time have fish so far up the same system that they run out of water.

Thanks, you are correct, it is the fourth. Notty is open year round for rainbow trout though, which was where I was looking.

Thanks, you are correct, it is the fourth. Notty is open year round for rainbow trout though, which was where I was looking.

Make sure you know the sanctuary boundries.. Also the no kill section. That river is a tough nut to crack.