Cobourg Fish Lift

Ron

Hello all.

Cobourg Fish Lift is tentatively set for this Saturday, April 8th. WEATHER PERMITTING

AN UPDATE WILL BE GIVEN FRIDAY ONCE WE GET THE GO AHEAD.

Here is the location.

Google - The Mill Restaurant, Cobourg.

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/The+Mill+Restaurant+%26+Pub/@43.975321,-78.183197,15z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x79c3b1a9b5802f44!8m2!3d43.975321!4d-78.183197

This is a great event held every year. It is the perfect way to get kids involved in the outdoors and educational at the same time. The lift is not going to start this year until 10 AM. You register at the dam. Please bring chest waders and a net if you have them, be sure to bring an extra change of clothes just in case you get wet. We lift anywheres from 100 to 220 fish up and over the dam with a net and pulley system. We try to get the kids involved by getting them to net the fish. They then bring the fish over to a holding pen where then samples are taken by a biologist, counted and then lifted to let them carry on their way to the spawning grounds.The event usually takes 3 hours.

Another update will be given on Friday to confirm we are going ahead with the lift.

Hello Ron.

I would like to participate with my 12 year old next Saturday. We have some plans later that afternoon and am wondering if our help is required up until noon or is it not really worth it?

It is always worth it. I've been going since 2010 and can definitely say that many hands make light work. Some years, it does take a little longer to hit that 200 fish mark and every little bit of help does count.

Bring a net, a set of waders/boots and perhaps leave a set of spare clothes in the car in the event that your son takes a spill in the drink. There really isn't a time you have to stay till - You can pretty much leave if you need to.

Some pics my dad and I have taken over the years:

Brian Morrison fisheries biologist with GRCA

IMG_6510b_zpscqc6lyfx.jpg

DSC_1440_zps3mjnz2ta.jpg

DSC_1408_zpsxahitzx9.jpg

DSCF1054_zpshk7tylqt.jpg

DSCF1067_zpsxotvbq0r.jpg

DSC_7098a.jpg

IMG_3083.jpg

16571068614_ed7a46b50d_z.jpgSpring Buck by MJLeung, on Flickr

Cheers

Mike