New trolling motor recommendations

msp

Blew my 10 yr old minn Kota power drive to bits today while out on the water.

I'm going to try and pull it apart tomorrow to see if I can fix it with some new parts or mayb just some new bearings.

If all the else fails I may just bite the bullet and buy a new one.

I have experience with the maxuum motors and prefer the cable drive but don't like having the foot pedal sitting so far back on my deck as well as not being recessed in the floor. I tried the edge model and loved it too.

What do you guys like ( maybe Terrova? )as well as a good min Kota dealer near TO

Thanks

Depends on what you want. If I could recommend any one thing it would be to get an ipilot equipped unit. As for Powerdrive or terrova, it really depends on how much you want a foot pedal as that's the main difference in Ipilot units. My experience is that I have used the foot pedal maybe once or twice. I run almost entirely off the remote, so for me it's not an issue. I'm not a fan of cable drives so can't help you there. I imagine they are pretty handy if you are a bass guy. Sail seems the most economical if you can wait into they have the 15 percent off sale.

The cable drive does give better control in tight cover.

An iPilot or Xi5 will give you lots of other advantages such as spot lock, auto steer the boat, memorized routes, etc.

If you fish exclusivily heavy cover, a cable drive will give you better control. If you troll or fish more open water; I would recommend an iPilot or Xi5. I wouldn't consider a power steer model that didn't have an auto pilot system.

Depends on what you want. If I could recommend any one thing it would be to get an ipilot equipped unit. As for Powerdrive or terrova, it really depends on how much you want a foot pedal as that's the main difference in Ipilot units. My experience is that I have used the foot pedal maybe once or twice. I run almost entirely off the remote, so for me it's not an issue. I'm not a fan of cable drives so can't help you there. I imagine they are pretty handy if you are a bass guy. Sail seems the most economical if you can wait into they have the 15 percent off sale.

I think the new powerdrive comes with foot pedal:

http://www.basspro.com/Minn-Kota-PowerDrive-Bow-Mount-Bluetooth-Trolling-Motor-with-iPilot/product/166376/

Says in the description that it doesn't include a foot pedal. If they have added a feature where you can order a foot pedal and use it, I couldn't say. I would be surprised though, that's cutting into the terrova market for less $$. For a foot pedal you need to go to the terrova or an xi5.

Edited by porkpie

Says in the description that it doesn't include a foot pedal. If they have added a feature where you can order a foot pedal and use it, I couldn't say. I would be surprised though, that's cutting into the terrova market for less $$. For a foot pedal you need to go to the terrova or an xi5.

http://www.minnkotamotors.com/Trolling-Motors/Freshwater-Bow-Mount/New-PowerDrive/

according to their website it has a foot pedal.......a redesigned one at that.

according to their website Sail is not stocking the 2017 models yet

Even with the new Powerdrive, if it is equipped with I-pilot, you cannot use the pedal.

Having used the previous two Powerdrives (original and V2) and owning a 2nd gen Terrova with I-Pilot, get the Terrova. The only feature missing on mine that the redesigned Terrova has that I would love to have is the spot lock button on the pedal. Otherwise, they both will both work great .

If you feel like installing a recessed foot pedal tray, I would look at the Ultrex as the best of both worlds between a cable driven and electric steer.

Good luck on your search. If I was in your shoes though and I could swing it, the Ultrex is where I would be looking the closest at.

All very good points to consider.

I have to admit that I really abuse my trolling motor. I am up front casting about 99% of the time.

A foot pedal is necessary.

Spot lock might be a nice option but not critical. Power and comfort is key. ( I did just wake up with a massive cramp in my calf after fishing all day yeste day )

I looked at the recessed pedal tray ...... Expensive but could be an option with some " M cGuyvering "

I got my boat with a 70# Power Drive V2 and by the end of the year I added i-pilot on it and NEVER missed the foot pedal, actually didn't care for the foot pedal.

However, if I ever need to replace it, it will be this one without hesitation in 24 volt 60" shaft.

http://www.basspro.com/Minn-Kota-Ulterra-Bow-Mount-Bluetooth-Trolling-Motor-with-iPilot-US2/product/164041/

The ipilot is great and all, but I find its a bit of a pain to run the hand control and fish at the same time. That remote is always in the way too. I guess you'd get used to it after a while, but I find it awkward. The features are great, but I use the foot pedal more than the remote.

S.

The ipilot is great and all, but I find its a bit of a pain to run the hand control and fish at the same time. That remote is always in the way too. I guess you'd get used to it after a while, but I find it awkward. The features are great, but I use the foot pedal more than the remote.

S.

Try the micro controller.. The standard I-Pilot one is way too big and bulky, drives me insane to.

One thing I forgot to mention is that I am on my third pedal on my power driv in the 10 yrs I have had it. I am not particularly fond of the pedals.

To me the hand held remote would seem like a pain while fishing...... Not sure

The ulterra seems to b way out of my price range.

How good are the foot pedals on the Terrova ?

I've had mine 3 seasons now and had to replace mine under warranty. It could have been fixed but the repair depot kept ordering the wrong parts and just gave me a new pedal instead.

from using my foot to adjust the speed, the adjuster would just keep rolling past 10. and when on 10, the remote would show 7.5 as the speed setting so I got a new pedal.

I have not had any problems with the replacement one.

All very good points to consider.

I have to admit that I really abuse my trolling motor. I am up front casting about 99% of the time.

A foot pedal is necessary.

Spot lock might be a nice option but not critical. Power and comfort is key. ( I did just wake up with a massive cramp in my calf after fishing all day yeste day )

I looked at the recessed pedal tray ...... Expensive but could be an option with some " M cGuyvering "

You may be better off with a cable steer motor. They are more durable and give you more precise control of the motor. If you don't think that you will use spot lock, or other features that an iPilot/Xi5 gives you, then cable drive will be the better option.

Try the micro controller.. The standard I-Pilot one is way too big and bulky, drives me insane to.

Still have to use a hand to operate it. One hand on rod, one hand on reel.....my 3rd hand is my foot. I use the footpedal for everything.

S.

the PD pedals are known to be flaky (although the one I have has been going for 7+ years) but I have a hard time getting used to cable steer... electric steer for this guy.

i'd like to try the ipilot and features like spot lock and gps would be nice but i find, for muskie fishing at least, the PD works great. don't see a use for spot lock the way i fish and would find using a handheld device to control the boat to be awkward.

Edited by Raf

all have there good points, i prefer cable steer its faster better for the kind of fishing i do, had a maxxum for several years and broke it lots, minn kota were known to have armature issues and mine was no diffrent, last year the foot pedal died at a replacement cost of around 350 for part, put a used refurbed motorguide 82lb digital on boat, i really like the cable steer foot pedal from mg better than mk the weedless wedge props seems to work better though really a push in the end, have a weed cutter installed on motor makes everything work good

Thanks for all the replies guys. I was very close to purchasing the 80 pound thrust Fortrex but couldn't come up with the 1600 $ plus tax. Not to mention a recessed pedal box and all the hassles of installation.

I ended up with a brand new second hand 70 pound power drive v2. Comes with universal sonar and the newer foot pedal. Installation took me about 20 minutes as the bracket from the old one fit perfect

All for 800 cash

Case closed. Thanks again guys!