Life in Florida

Master of Bait

Hey folks,

I haven't posted in a loooong time. Just wanted to mention that I've moved to Florida for two years on a work contract.

I've been down here about four months so far and, though I haven't fished a ton, I've gotten out often enough to enjoy some of the local species. Gotta say, the opportunities out here are unreal.

I'm in the Tampa area, on the east side of the bay. My freshwater fishing so far has consisted of catching bass in small retention ponds (lots of 3-4 lb fish, largest is a 7.5 lber so far!).

As for saltwater, I've mostly been out in a cheapie kayak I bought, fishing rivers/estuaries and adjacent flats for trout/snook/redfish. I've lost all the big fish so far, but caught lots of smaller ones (up to a 6 lb redfish).

I've also beach fished for sharks a bit but I'm 0-for-15 or so, so far. I've got the gear and terminal tackle, just haven't had the luck to get one on the sand yet. Still getting used to circle hooks. Will keep trying!

Anyway, here are a few pics - they're terrible selfies.

I'll try to post an update every so often.

Cheers,

MoB

IMG_6510_1.jpg

IMG_6505_1.jpg

IMG_6266.jpg

IMG_6265.jpg

IMG_6045.jpg

IMG_5993.jpg

IMG_6016.jpg

IMG_5497.jpg

IMG_5418.jpg

IMG_5889.jpg

Those are some nice looking fish for sure. Congrats on the contract and prime fishing.

PS: Lot's of golf courses that hold PGA events stock ponds with Bass for the players to fish in evenings. Even Angus Glenn here in On stocks ponds.

Edited by GBW

Good for you for enjoying the adventure!

I have always enjoyed pier fishing in FL. First day everyone kind of stands back and watches you. Second day a few people start to talk to you, third day you are part of the family LOL.

Enjoy!

Thanks for the feedback and kind words, folks. Florida has its pros and cons, but there's no doubt that it's a fisherman's paradise.

Good point about the piers, Big Cliff. In fact, it's amazing how fishing automatically just kind of connects people.

I have a different background and "political inclination" than many of the fellow anglers I meet down here, but none of that matters when we're just kicking around and catching some fish. Fisherfolk down here have been very friendly and helpful with info, etc.

I'll do my best to post more pics when I can. I imagine you're all getting pretty excited to get out for some spring fishing.

Tight lines.