Saving money on your groceries

Big Cliff

So go steal it then if you should have the money instead of supporting the economy . And yet another thread of yours devolves into complaining about the youth of today.

You sir need to think about what you say... you seem to be quite oblivious to the actual facts of a dollar and maybe you need to realize some of what happens when companies forget that they need to change their prices when they should.. and if the consumer catches this mistake.. then the company needs to make the correct changes... there are better ways to support the economy and it is corporate greed that cause people to watch every penny they spend... same as some stores wanting to charge 5 cents for a bag after l spend $60.00 at their store and need 1 extra bag then l say well if you want to charge me 5 cents then i need to charge you 15 cents for me to advertise your store... :whistling::sarcasm:

So I guess it's good to look for freebees caused by the mistakes of the people that work for these greedy corporations. Yes, they are in business to make money. And when the corporation decides they will just let some worker go, to make up for the lost sales, that's fine.

To me, if the cost of a product on only a few cents off, I let it go. If it's more, I bring it to the cashier's attention to get the correct price, and nobody lose. For every cause, there is an effect.

If it's more, I bring it to the cashier's attention to get the correct price, and nobody lose. For every cause, there is an effect.

Cause and effect is correct. The system fails causing an affect on the consumer. The consumer then shows the mistakes in the system for the retailer to fix. Retailer fixes said issues and all is well. Hence why so many signed up for this new scanning plan... Just a thought to throw out there...

So go steal it then if you should have the money instead of supporting the economy . And yet another thread of yours devolves into complaining about the youth of today.

You know what, I am getting really tired of you and your insults and insinuations. First it was "chintzy", then "basically stealing", "smart ass", "go steal it then" "another thread devolves into complaining about the youth of today"!

I don't have any problem with people having a different opinion but you are getting pretty rude!

In my mind, it all depends on whether you were paying cash or not and if the total came to $3.99. In that case, stores now round either up or down to the closest $0.05. If you buy something for $3.99 it's going to be rounded up to $4. There's no pennies anymore. At the same time, if it comes to $4.02 you'll get it for $4.00. Unless you're giving those pennies back, I'd say it's not very honest to complain about.

At the same time, if paying by debit or credit, there's no need to round up or down. So if it's automatically rounding all .99 items up to a dollar before even getting a total, yeah, that's a mistake by the store that should be fixed otherwise they're basically stealing from customers. A penny is just a penny but if they're getting it for several items over countless transactions a year, it will add up. Sounds like Office Space.

You know what, I am getting really tired of you and your insults and insinuations. First it was "chintzy", then "basically stealing", "smart ass", "go steal it then" "another thread devolves into complaining about the youth of today"!

I don't have any problem with people having a different opinion but you are getting pretty rude!

Cliff, you have to make allowances for " The budget will balance itself " generation. I recently got a 2x2 lb cans of coffee free, marked $10.99 in the aisle and 8.99 in a display at the checkout I was at, came in at 10.99 at the register, thank you Food Basics and I don't feel guilty at all. Always liked the " Honey, start the car " commercial think it was Ikea . :ninja:

I fill up quite often at the Ancaster Costco and prices are always good there. Last I saw was 91.6 for regular. The savings in gas alone has paid for my membership card.

Refills on 20 lb propane cylinders are sweet, all we have in town are the tank exchange depots at about 25 bucks a pop, lost our refill station when they changed the regs for dispensing and the station tore out the bulk tank, last time I refilled at Costco was less than half of that. I use the executive card that you get a cheque every Feb based on how much you spend, buy all my electronics there because of the return policy and extended warranty, so it adds up.

to be quite honest, if the item rang through at 3.99, and you paid cash, you paid $4 for the item no matter what, since pennies are gone. paying by debit or credit, and you pay the pennies without the price being rounded

Not necessarly, the rounding occurrs on the total bill including taxes; not on the individual items. If the $3.99 item is part of a larger purchase, the final bill could end up being rounded down; not up.

$3.99 in your pocket or $4.00 in Loblaw's pocket is what it boils down to, which do you prefer? Young people don't seem to watch the pennies like us older folks. Spending money isn't a bad thing, but getting value for your money seems to be becoming a lost art.

I guess I'm saying we shouldn't have to be checking our receipts when we leave the store. I know my wife does, and yes every penny counts for us Cliff. Some just don't get that and won't until they are close to a fixed income. It would be nice if the stores could have things priced correctly.

honestly, I had no idea this was such a common thing, if you do a google search there are lots of articles on this subject, and thank you to Cliff for bringing this to everybody's attention. One of the articles says the extra charges could total between $1 billion and $2.5 billion yearly in the states.

definitely going to check more thoroughly and if it's only a few cents , I am still going to take it to customer service

I have to believe that middle of nowhere Walmart is a better shopping experience than in the middle of everything Walmart! I haven't been in a Walmart in four years! When I shop, I want a shopping experience, not a example of bad behaviour and poor child raising techniques... But fully understand Rick.

HH

Edited by Headhunter

I have to believe that middle of nowhere Walmart is a better shopping experience than in the middle of everything Walmart! I haven't been in a Walmart in four years! When I shop, I want a shopping experience, not a example of bad behaviour and poor child raising techniques... But fully understand Rick.

HH

Yep!

Even our Walmart you gotta time it out. Don't go on a welfare day that's for sure!

I was just in thunderbay so we loaded up on goods we needed at much better stores

Edited by manitoubass2

I do all the grocery shopping for my wife and I, actually I don't find the regular price on items all that good at Walmart, sale prices OK but generally the regular price at Food Basics is better. Stocked up on sirloin tip roasts at Basics this week, cut up into stew meat and strips for stir fry and vacuum sealed, $3.49 a pound beats stewing beef at $6/7 a pound.

I wonder how much of it is ,that if the company sends in a new shipment of canned goods with new bar codes at a lower price and the old cans are left on the shelves with the higher price?

Unless there has been a change to the product, the bar codes for old and new stock will be the same. It's up to the store to associate the correct price to a bar code; the supplier doesn't have to change the bar code for the store to charge a different price.

Walmart prices aren't great for many items.

Ours doesn't even sell meat, not that I'd ever buy it there. I'll stick to the local butchers that offer better prices, great quality and well I know them and I'd rather see them stay in business.

But, in this area Walmart is the ONLY place to get certain things. We mainly get toddler clothing/shoes there, as no one else in the area sells them.

The joys of rural living lol

LOL at all the people that shop at Walmart and claim that they aren't like regular Walmart shoppers :whistling: :whistling:

We have to. No other place in the area sells toddler clothing. Yeah I know, unreal right? But that's truth.

On all our trips we have to buy stuff in advance as the lil seed grows at a rate yet undetermined by science.

It is what it is