Saving money on your groceries

Big Cliff

The store would have been stealing one cent from Cliff, had he not spoke up. I watch that screen at the register like a hawk. The other day, I noticed that they had charged me $3.99 for an item on sale for $2.99. Yah a buck is more than a penny, but is the principal any different?

Your mileage may vary...

HH

Because it was off by one penny you are basically stealing from the store on a technicality. The other instances where there is a big discrepancy I understand, but for 1 penny you are gaming the system. So yes I am serious.

I don't see an issue here with him doing what he did as they are a member of that scanning policy to be true to customers. At the end of the day it all adds up.

Now for the company; yes it means a loss but that also means they need to ensure the signs and scanners are working properly to have less loss.

Hopefully when the mistake comes up at the register it gets corrected in the system.. The customer is doing the store a favor.. Lol.. I recently got a discount on something at Home Depot for pointing out that the price on the shelf was lower than it rang up.. I am glad stores empower their front line employees to correct things like this..

Because it was off by one penny you are basically stealing from the store on a technicality. The other instances where there is a big discrepancy I understand, but for 1 penny you are gaming the system. So yes I am serious.

You know what, don't piss in my cup I won't piss in yours!

I don't see an issue here with him doing what he did as they are a member of that scanning policy to be true to customers. At the end of the day it all adds up.

Now for the company; yes it means a loss but that also means they need to ensure the signs and scanners are working properly to have less loss.

Like I said if its a big discrepancy fine I get it. But the list was 3.99 and he was charged 4 bucks and gave a smartass answer to the grocery clerk and then pocketed the item. Now the clerk may get in trouble and its not like they are taking home bank, the store loses money, the company loses money, all for a penny. Thats called taking advantage of the system for yourself. In the words of sebastian maniscalco "Aren't you embarrassed??"

Edited by toronto_angler

change the title

"Scamming your grocery store"

Scamming your grocery store would involve somehow adjusting the price on the item so it scans incorrectly and you get it for free. Holding a store to its written policy, no matter how small the discrepancy, is not scamming the store. The policy is there to motivate the store to keep its databases up to date so that they don't accidentally overcharge a large number of customers. keeps them honest.

And the grocery store sets up every trick they know to get you in there and spend money.

They spend millions on marketing and price gimmicks is part of the game. Take it when you can.

A penny mistake is like hitting cherries on a slot machine

Scamming your grocery store would involve somehow adjusting the price on the item so it scans incorrectly and you get it for free. Holding a store to its written policy, no matter how small the discrepancy, is not scamming the store. The policy is there to motivate the store to keep its databases up to date so that they don't accidentally overcharge a large number of customers. keeps them honest.

Well said Tom and that is what I was getting at also.

And the grocery store sets up every trick they know to get you in there and spend money.

They spend millions on marketing and price gimmicks is part of the game. Take it when you can.

A penny mistake is like hitting cherries on a slot machine

I wouldn't call them tricks. The store is not out to deceive you out of your money. They just want you to spend the money you will be spending on groceries anyhow at their store, not a competitor. They use good business sense and some marketing methods that sometimes can be hard to make sense of to be able to offer you the deals they need to get you into the store. Having some knowledge of that side of the business can also help you save a few bucks.

I got stuck bad last year with cablelas and min kota because I didn't read the rules they make.

Well they make the rules so they can live with them as well.

While I don't really agree with playing the system it will certainly play you if if has a chance so I'm not going to knock somebody for taking advantage. Maybe laugh a bit but they are only following the rules for their own best interest.

Why do you think they do not put price tags on any more so when you get to the cash out you won't remember unless you wrote every item price down... :angry: they know what they are doing.. look at when different stores have a sale on an item and you go to your local store and they want more... price match... thats what l do and l don't give a dame.. l work for my money and no one is feeding me but myself... no living at home like some are..

I feed my family and help to feed my grandchildren. I have to watch every penny of my food dollar. If there is a mistake on their part and I can benefit, so be it. As Loonietoon said, there are reasons they don't put price tags on items any more. I only shop for the best bang for my buck. I am fortunate to be able to buy good quality meat for great prices. I'm still physically able to grow a lot of our own produce. What I don't grow I buy direct from farmers. It means a little more work and effort but I spend half of what others pay at the supermarkets. What I do buy at the grocery store is on special and we stock up.

Why do you think they do not put price tags on any more so when you get to the cash out you won't remember unless you wrote every item price down... :angry: they know what they are doing.. look at when different stores have a sale on an item and you go to your local store and they want more... price match... thats what l do and l don't give a dame.. l work for my money and no one is feeding me but myself... no living at home like some are..

They don't put price tags on because that's a labour intensive job and the packaging is already printed with a UPC code on it. Sorry, no conspiracy there.

So I popped into my local grocery store today and asked about the UPC code issue and was told the following;

You will notice at the cash they will have documented legislation to which the retailer, by law has to follow. Any discrepancy between the price advertised and what shows up at the cash register must be given to the customer, even without the customer asking! It's the law and you shouldn't have to ask for it. Items priced higher than $10 will automatically qualify for a ten dollar deduction right at the cash.

The only things not under this law are fresh produce and fresh baked goods.

So Cliff, technically you shouldn't even have had to ask for the item, as soon as you noticed the price differential, you should have been given the item for free. It's the law.

HH

So I popped into my local grocery store today and asked about the UPC code issue and was told the following;

You will notice at the cash they will have documented legislation to which the retailer, by law has to follow. Any discrepancy between the price advertised and what shows up at the cash register must be given to the customer, even without the customer asking! It's the law and you shouldn't have to ask for it. Items priced higher than $10 will automatically qualify for a ten dollar deduction right at the cash.

The only things not under this law are fresh produce and fresh baked goods.

So Cliff, technically you shouldn't even have had to ask for the item, as soon as you noticed the price differential, you should have been given the item for free. It's the law.

HH

Thanks, I wasn't aware that the cashier could do it. I would probably still go to customer service instead of holding up people in line while the cashier calls for a price check. I sometimes find 3 or 4 out of 8 or 9 items that are priced wrong. At that rate you'd almost think they could save money by paying an employee to go around and do price checks on products. That is unless they figure more people miss it and pay the higher price than catch it and get the saving.

So, we live in a society where we must take or be taken!

I'm not criticizing anyone here, just making an observation.

I also see many discrepancies in various stores when paying, I guess I should start the battle instead of asking them to correct it. LOL

So, we live in a society where we must take or be taken!

I'm not criticizing anyone here, just making an observation.

I also see many discrepancies in various stores when paying, I guess I should start the battle instead of asking them to correct it. LOL

$3.99 in your pocket or $4.00 in Loblaw's pocket is what it boils down to, which do you prefer? Young people don't seem to watch the pennies like us older folks. Spending money isn't a bad thing, but getting value for your money seems to be becoming a lost art.

Edited by Big Cliff

Any discrepancy between the price advertised and what shows up at the cash register must be given to the customer, even without the customer asking!

HH

Is it the item or the discrepency that must be given to the customer? The way the sentence above is worded, it would be the discrepancy.

$3.99 in your pocket or $4.00 in Loblaw's pocket is what it boils down to, which do you prefer? Young people don't seem to watch the pennies like us older folks. Spending money isn't a bad thing, but getting value for your money seems to be becoming a lost art.

I'm not sure what it is these days, people spend faster than they make it.. or at least in the circles of people I come across, whether it be family, friends, co workers or guys I'm in school with they seem to not have a problem carrying debt on credit cards etc. I couldn't live like that.

I got a free tub of coffee this week as it scanned in wrongly at zehrs $7.99 in my pocket!

So go steal it then if you should have the money instead of supporting the economy . And yet another thread of yours devolves into complaining about the youth of today.