Saving money on your groceries

Big Cliff

Had a huge jigs dinner last night with a turkey, and venison roast. My god was it good! Even has peas puddin!

I like to caramelize my onions, then add to the potatoes. I roll the cakes in flour and fry in salt pork fat. The real newfie way, but enough salt to kill ya!! So good though!

S.

Had a huge jigs dinner last night with a turkey, and venison roast. My god was it good! Even has peas puddin!

I like to caramelize my onions, then add to the potatoes. I roll the cakes in flour and fry in salt pork fat. The real newfie way, but enough salt to kill ya!! So good though!

S.

Theres enough salt in the cod for me these days S.

Good eats .

Pay attention to flyers.

Buying in bulk sometimes costs more, know unit prices, you can get the item cheaper buying single.

Use your CTC Master Card Options card any place you shop, grocery stores, restaurants, etc. you get CTC money, other day I checked I had over $200.00 in CTC money :clapping:

Other day I got Boneless Blade Roast at Lococo's $299 Lb. Stewing beef was $7.00 a Lb. Chop the roast up for stew.

You'd be surprised people will say I only want stew meat. :worthy::wallbash:

I've found Gas is the same price at costco as on the Rez.

"Salt Cod pieces is lest than half the price of whole salt Cod, NOW that you made me hungry BRO"

Fish and brews tonight Bro :clapping:

It all boils down to knowing your prices.

Pay attention to flyers.

Buying in bulk sometimes costs more, know unit prices, you can get the item cheaper buying single.

Use your CTC Master Card Options card any place you shop, grocery stores, restaurants, etc. you get CTC money, other day I checked I had over $200.00 in CTC money :clapping:

Other day I got Boneless Blade Roast at Lococo's $299 Lb. Stewing beef was $7.00 a Lb. Chop the roast up for stew.

You'd be surprised people will say I only want stew meat. :worthy::wallbash:

I've found Gas is the same price at costco as on the Rez.

"Salt Cod pieces is lest than half the price of whole salt Cod, NOW that you made me hungry BRO"

Fish and brews tonight Bro :clapping:

It all boils down to knowing your prices.

Ain't it the truth. More important is to know the regular list price of the products. All too often the sale price is so much off the "manufacturers suggested sale price". , which is more than the actual retail price. You end up saving nothing.

A penny here, a dollar there.... I just went through my receipts and in the last month I have saved $67.32 by catching their errors. That might not seem like much to you but I work four hard hours+ to make that. If that average holds that would be $807.84 over a year. That is 50.5 extra hours I have to work in a year to pay for their mistakes.

You can call it chintzy if you want but if it puts an extra $800.00 a year in my pocket; well I've been called worse for a heck of a lot less.

You cannot be serious???

I do not care if you're poor, middle class, wealthy, self made or born into money. If you don't spend wisely you are simply an idiot

I wasn't going to say that, I do try to be polite but since you did; :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

Hey Cliff; have you checked out the Good Food Box through Community Care in Lindsay. Everyone can buy into this, just call 705-879-4100, they have regular veggie/fruit boxes that are much cheaper than the store. You just have to pick it up at the designated site.

Hey Cliff; have you checked out the Good Food Box through Community Care in Lindsay. Everyone can buy into this, just call 705-879-4100, they have regular veggie/fruit boxes that are much cheaper than the store. You just have to pick it up at the designated site.

Didn't know about that, I'll check into it. Thanks!!!

I started growing bean sprouts more for fun than cost savings.

Turns out it's easy and likely very cheap. 1 cup of mung beans grows about 3 lb of sprouts. The cost about .70 and 5 minutes of time a few times per day.

This is way to much for us so I'm cutting down 1/2 cup.

If interested just you tube growing bean sprouts.

I started growing bean sprouts more for fun than cost savings.

Turns out it's easy and likely very cheap. 1 cup of mung beans grows about 3 lb of sprouts. The cost about .70 and 5 minutes of time a few times per day.

This is way to much for us so I'm cutting down 1/2 cup.

If interested just you tube growing bean sprouts.

Gotta try that. Have been growing alfalfa sprouts for years but never tried bean sprouts. Alfalfa seeds are dead cheap. A tablespoon of seeds in a 500ml mason jar makes the same amount of sprouts as the container you get at the grocery store. Takes a week from seed to harvest. Toasted tomato and alfalfa sandwiches made with fresh from the garden tomatoes and our own sprouts....man I look forward to that every summer.

You guys are killing me!

In this house we moved to a little over a year ago I can't grow much, lack of space and a crappy yard.

But we move into the new house in July and I can't wait to start growing again.

Bonus is the new house has wild raspberry and strawberries on the edge of the property!

When they dug the foundation, I asked the operator to pre dig for a garden too lol. Save Abit of work. At our new house, the back yard is gonna be 70% garden. The local park is across the street so I can utilize our yard for growing with worrying about the kids needing space.

So excited to move!!!!! 3800 sq.ft and a heated garage is gonna be so nice!

For those of you with limited space? you can grow tomatoes, green peppers and such in large flower pots, and you may find them easier to keep weed free than a garden.

And don't bother going out and spending money on seeds; A slice of tomato in a peat pot with a little potting soil under it and lightly covered in potting soil and lightly water it, you'll have all the tomato plants you need. Works for all kinds of other things too, almost anything that has seeds in it. Carrot tops can be rooted, potatoes....... Going to try the bean sprouts and alfalfa though

There's a salad mix radish ,broccoli,alfafa,mung beans something else all sprouted.

I'm going to try it.

I bought my 1st mung beans from bulk barn worked good. Then I found a Chinese market in Ajax and bought the package stuff same result.

Today is harvest day for soya bean sprouts. Tried bulk barn soya beans with poor results, these are much smaller soya beans from Chinese market look good.

As previously mentioned, there is a Scanning Code of Practice that numerous retailers have signed up for. And there are more than grocery stores.
There are bunch of statements, but this is likely the one of most interest:
1.1 On a claim being presented by the customer, where the scanned price of a product at checkout is higher than the price displayed in the store or than advertised by the store, the lower price will be honoured; and
(a) if the correct price of the product is $10 or less, the retailer will give the product to the customer free of charge; or
(B) if the correct price of the product is higher than $10, the retailer will give the customer a discount of $10 off the correct price.
A list of the retailers:
Neighbourhood Pharmacy Association of Canada Supporting Companies:
Shoppers Drug Mart
The Groupe Jean Coutu (NB and ON only)
Lawton Drug Stores
London Drugs
Lovell Drugs
Pharmasave BC
RCC Supporting Companies:
Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
The Home Depot Canada
Canadian Tire Corporation Ltd.
Toys r Us
Rona
Wal*Mart Canada Corp.
Giant Tiger Stores Ltd.
The North West Company
Best Buy
2 Home Hardware franchisees
Canada Safeway Limited
The Great Atlantic and Pacific Tea Company of Canada Limited
Loblaw Companies Limited
Sobeys Inc.
Metro Inc.
Thrifty Foods
Co-op Atlantic
CFIG Supporting Companies:
Thrifty Foods
Overwaitea Food Group
The Harry Watson Group
Longos Brothers Fruit Markets
Federated Co-operatives Limited
+ 1374 independent locations

Now if only some tackle stores would sign up!

Happy saving!!

Jon

Im unreal frugal with groceries with the size of our family.

Yes pay attention

All canned goods etc buy in bulk. Also lots of butchers sell bulk meat packages at about 15% off.

Biggest thing is hunting. I know your older and no longer hunt cliff, but, a good buddy could maybe drop ya a moose and or a deer every year, that saves tonnes. Assuming your in good with a FN folk

I didn't realize you could do that...I gotta talk with a few guys here

You cannot be serious???

I do not care if you're poor, middle class, wealthy, self made or born into money. If you don't spend wisely you are simply an idiot

Because it was off by one penny you are basically stealing from the store on a technicality. The other instances where there is a big discrepancy I understand, but for 1 penny you are gaming the system. So yes I am serious.

Edited by toronto_angler