Saving money on your groceries

Big Cliff

A couple of months ago I took over the grocery shopping duties (or at least a good portion of them), things were getting a little harder for Sue to manage especially when there were heavier items involved. We do a lot of our shopping in Loblaw's here in Lindsay because it is one of the biggest stores locally.

So one day I run in to pick up a couple of items, get to the cash, she rings them through and I pay for them. As I am walking away I think " that doesn't add up, it should be less than that" so I checked my receipt. Three of the 4 items I had just purchased scanned through at higher than the price on the shelf. I mentioned it to the cashier and she told me to go to customer service.

Customer service was wonderful, they confirmed that the items had scanned higher than the price on the shelf, gave me all three items for free. Apparently their policy is "if an item scans higher than the indicated price they will refund the difference up to $10.00 per item". In the case of something like a multiple ie. 3 for $6.00 but they ring through at $2.49 ea they will give you the first one free and you only pay the proper price for the other two.

Almost every trip I make now I find something that saves me money, today it was Club House Tempura batter, price on shelf $2.99, scanned at $3.29, yup, got it for free.

The other day is was pickles; Price on shelf $2.99, at the end of the isle, same pickles 2/$6.00 (like that makes sense) or $3.79 for one. Yup, one jar scanned at $3.79, got them for free.

I have also found CTC is wonderful for doing that sort of thing too so: You want to save money, PAY ATTENTION!

Oh ya, gotta pay attention, cuz if you don't, you're getting hosed. A lot of people "just pay" because it must be right and that goes for your monthly statements of hydro, NG, phone/internet/TV. You wouldn't believe how many times I've picked up errors..in my favour.

I am the primary shopper due to my shifts so I am pretty good at judging prices.. I have a routine too.. Costco for gas, then coffee at Tims followed by no frills. Then back to Costco for opening at 9:45 with specific things to get and no more.. On the way home I might stop at a fabulous family owned store called Lococos for meat and vegetables.. Knowing the prices of things helps a lot. My wife's hours have been cut at work so we need any advantage we can get. I am always checking the receipt while walking out the store..

It's called the "scanning code of practice"

If you dont have the "Flipp" app on your phone, you should. Best way to price match items from all over. We save so much money on our trips.

HE ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Would know,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Thanks Steve

Im unreal frugal with groceries with the size of our family.

Yes pay attention

All canned goods etc buy in bulk. Also lots of butchers sell bulk meat packages at about 15% off.

Biggest thing is hunting. I know your older and no longer hunt cliff, but, a good buddy could maybe drop ya a moose and or a deer every year, that saves tonnes. Assuming your in good with a FN folk

My wife and I both signed up to the PC Financial Master Card. 20,000 pts can redeem $20 in groceries. We charge all our purchases with the card and we've redeemed so many points. Who doesn't like free groceries?

Easily, the best loyalty card out there for us. Made us wonder why we still have an Air Miles rewards card when it takes years just to redeem 1 ticket. lol.

My wife and I both signed up to the PC Financial Master Card. 20,000 pts can redeem $20 in groceries. We charge all our purchases with the card and we've redeemed so many points. Who doesn't like free groceries?

Easily, the best loyalty card out there for us. Made us wonder why we still have an Air Miles rewards card when it takes years just to redeem 1 ticket. lol.

Been using this MasterCard for years. We save our points all year for when we move back into the cottage May 1st. We always have between $400-$700 worth of points come the first of May. Pays for all our move in supplies and fills the fridge and freezer too.

He's one for you Cliff. Gas at CTC with the rewards card (the new form of the old paper CTC cash) and pay with debit or cash and save. If I put $70 in gas I get an avg of $3.00 in CTC cash to spend in store. I need the gas so 99 cents a liter at CTC or Loblaws, I take the CTC discount as I don't shop at Loblaws enough to capitalize on the rewards they offer. Just a few fill up's and I get some free to me lures or line...

Cliff, unfortunately this happens all too much in my opinion. I think it is a game the stores play. Most people don't pay attention to iwhat the cashier rings in. TSC stores do this on a regular basis. I always catch them charging more than what the price on the shelf says! When Zellers was still around, I found the opposite. The price they would ring in at the cash was often LESS than the price on the item or shelf! Dumb though, because I often left stuff on the shelf when I thought I could get it cheaper elsewhere.

Today it was cinnamon $3.99 on the shelf rang through @ $4.00, lady at customer service looks at me like I am stupid and said "it's only a penny, it rounded up" I just smiled and said " no mam it's $4.00 in my pocket, thank you very much."

On the weekends, I buy for the nights dinner. It,s the way I roll on weekends. Dinner for two is not that hard to buy for and watching the price is easy.

Today I stopped in the local grocer and got a big bag of boned salt cod,bag of onions and 6 taters. $7.37 was the total. I didnt need to look at the bill, as I already did the math before going to the til.

$7.37 for 20 huge fish cakes. :Gonefishing:

Oh and ya, buying gas at Costco is the best gift card I ever got from my company. 2-6 cents savings a lt,is 2-6 cents savings a lt, no matter how you look at it. :good:

On the weekends, I buy for the nights dinner. It,s the way I roll on weekends. Dinner for two is not that hard to buy for and watching the price is easy.

Today I stopped in the local grocer and got a big bag of boned salt cod,bag of onions and 6 taters. $7.37 was the total. I didnt need to look at the bill, as I already did the math before going to the til.

$7.37 for 20 huge fish cakes. :Gonefishing:

Oh and ya, buying gas at Costco is the best gift card I ever got from my company. 2-6 cents savings a lt,is 2-6 cents savings a lt, no matter how you look at it. :good:

Can I have your fish cake recipe please

Oh you know me, I love to cook, tonight it's mustard maple glazed salmon, lemon roasted potatoes, asparagus with a garnish of French fried onions, and an apple crisp for dessert. But my favorite is good old fashion down home recipies like jigs dinner and such things

Experiment. One of my favorite foods. Almost no way to mess up

It's "poor man's food". Cheap and easy

LOL Really????

Here,s a bunch for those with large families to feed................ LOL

https://www.pinterest.com/explore/poor-mans-recipes/

Please feel free to give your way of making cakes.

Edited by Misfish

LOL Really????

Here,s a bunch for those with large families to feed................ LOL

https://www.pinterest.com/explore/poor-mans-recipes/

Please feel free to give your way of making cakes.

I have.

Sheesh, don't take "poor man's" so literal.

Im just implying you can make a large amount for cheap, which you also stated. $7 for two is pretty cheap

I have.

Sheesh, don't take "poor man's" so literal.

Im just implying you can make a large amount for cheap, which you also stated. $7 for two is pretty cheap

You missed the LOL LOL LOL

LOL

Here ya go Cliff.

Ya it,s simple, but taken from my nan
Boned salt cod. Chop into small pieces and soak in water for 6 hours or over night. Depends on your salt intake limits. Sometimes I punish myself to enjoy the real.
Boil potatoes.
Cut/dice, 2-3 onions. I like the purple ones. Mild and sweet. Back in the day, nan didnt have that choice.
Put in a large bowl
Add pepper,bit of garlic,dill and savory. NFLD Savory. Leo,s. You can get it Sobeys. The only place I have been able to buy it.
Mix together with a fork.
Once potatoes are soft, not to soft, you need texture.put in the bowl with the onions and mash together.
Here,s the trick. Add the potatoes hot. You want the onions and spices to penetrate in to the potatoes. Once the potatoes are cooled, add 1-2 eggs and mix. Then add the cod.
Mix it all together. Using a wooden spoon. Scoop out a hand full size. Form like a hamburger paddy.
Have another bowl with either bread crumbs or panko. I know you like your panko Cliff. me too, but bread crumbs are lighter for these.
Once you have the patty made, just dust the cake with crumbs or panko. Lay on parchment paper and repeat till all the cake mix is gone.
Frying is up to you. I like to slow fry in BACON fat. If no bacon fat, I will use granola. Just fry til sides are crisp. A nice side dish is savoy cabbage.
Enjoy
B