I'll Take Two Please!!!!

DRIFTER_016

I'm really not sure what the advantage of having a large single unit is. In fact, I think it's a disadvantage. With two units mount side by side or top to bottom, you get the same viewing area plus you can have them at different tilt angles. I stand in different places for different types of fishing. Further forward for working cover, docks, etc. and much further back for open water techniques. Also, if one unit goes down, with networking you can swap transducers to the working unit. Being able to move a unit from the console forward is great too. I don't think we'll see too many 16" screens at the console.

I got to play with the HDS Carbon 16 back in January, when I attended a Navico press event in Florida. Biggest advantage of the 16 is its screen, which is properly called "SolarMax HD." It's insanely clear, and you can see everything in full detail from any angle, even from pretty much 180 degrees to the side. There's no need to constantly adjust the tilt so you can see the screen. And, best of all, it doesn't black out when you're wearing polarized sunglasses. They don't affect the picture at all.

Because the screen is so big and high def, the processing power in this is huge. The way it renders the 3D sonar images is just mind blowing. It does multiple split screens if you want, and you control it all like a cell phone ... swipe this, pinch that, move stuff around, zoom in and out, it's pretty awesome.

Grimsby ... when they introduced this at the BassMaster Classic last week, they had a bunch of boats on hand with 16s flush-mounted in the console. Most of the fishing boat builders can accommodate it ..... but whether people will pony up the cash for it or not is a whole other matter. I agree with you, I don't think we'll see too many 16s flush mounted in the dash here. But the guys in Florida with the big offshore boats? They're all over it.

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

I got to play with the HDS Carbon 16 back in January, when I attended a Navico press event in Florida. Biggest advantage of the 16 is its screen, which is properly called "SolarMax HD." It's insanely clear, and you can see everything in full detail from any angle, even from pretty much 180 degrees to the side. There's no need to constantly adjust the tilt so you can see the screen. And, best of all, it doesn't black out when you're wearing polarized sunglasses. They don't affect the picture at all.

Because the screen is so big and high def, the processing power in this is huge. The way it renders the 3D sonar images is just mind blowing. It does multiple split screens if you want, and you control it all like a cell phone ... swipe this, pinch that, move stuff around, zoom in and out, it's pretty awesome.

Grimsby ... when they introduced this at the BassMaster Classic last week, they had a bunch of boats on hand with 16s flush-mounted in the console. Most of the fishing boat builders can accommodate it ..... but whether people will pony up the cash for it or not is a whole other matter. I agree with you, I don't think we'll see too many 16s flush mounted in the dash here. But the guys in Florida with the big offshore boats? They're all over it.

Good point, I could easily see them in larger offshore boats. I was thinking only of the bassboat community. It would be the windshield on my Ranger!

BTW I was glued to the day one action on Lake Conroe!