Wednesday Steelhead Report (with Pics)

Minnow

Hey guys!

Went out for some steel with my grandpa, headed down to the river and the water was clear and low and we got there before the sun had even come up. We couldn't get a hit for the first 2 hrs of fishing but then finally my grandpa hooked into one that hit a chartreuse cleo spoon but the fish came off 2 mins into the fight!

Still not have landed any fish I was determined to land one so after about 3 hrs I hook a fish a deep pool and its a not a monster but all of these fish are exceptionally strong so it was a challenge landing him. For some reason all of the fish landed today were males. Here is a pic of the first one.

Steelhead11.jpg

After landing the first fish we moved around but didnt have any luck anywhere else so we came back to the spot and I landed 2 more fish with the help of my grandpa. Great fishing partner and always has fun even if he doesnt catch any fish! Here are the pics of the other 2 fish.

Can anyone estimate how much these fish weigh?

steelhead10.jpg

This one was caught on a jointed rapala which I have never used before but seems to work!

Steelhead12.jpg

It was great day on the water and very nice weather outside! I was wondering if the fish stay in these small ontario tribs all winter or if they go back into the lake once it gets cold. I know a lot of fish stay in the Niagara through the winter but was wondering about small tribs?

If a stream has 'em now, there's a very good chance they'll winter there as well. I guess as long as there's sufficient oxygen and food, they won't bother moving. There are quite a few smaller tribs with wintering fish.

As far as weights go, I'm gonna guess 4, 7, and 8lbs, top to bottom.

Edited by BabyHerc