4 bank, on-board chargers - Which one is worth the $?

MSBruno

You better first make sure you know what you're looking for. That $280 Noco...is that 10 amps per bank? Sounds like it's the 1.1amp model and not a great option. I have the Noco 40amp(10/bank) and it's been excellent for three years. The list on it is $375USD.

Yup...you're not comparing apples to apples. The $550 Minn Kota is the 440D and it's 10 amps per bank which you'll want.

This is the comparable Noco charger:

https://www.amazon.ca/NOCO-GEN4-Waterproof-Battery-Charger/dp/B003JSLWWA

Edited by grimsbylander

I charge a group 31 with a 4amp onboard charger. It works just fine but it takes forever to charge. If I am fishing multiple day in a row, I will put my 10amp charger on the battery. It works great for charging when your not fishing every day though!

I think I've narrowed it down to the Noco GEN4 4 x 10A charger @ $370 vs the Minn Kota 4 bank @ $550 ... differences and thoughts?

Mark

I think they're both good units. As mentioned, I've had the Noco for about three years and it's been perfect. In fact, I used to take all 4 batteries out of the boat in December and store them inside the garage. Then I'd rotate a charger on them to keep them topped up. Pulling those batteries out and replacing them was a JOB! For the last few winters I run an extension cord to the boat in the backyard, tarp the boat and she sleeps until spring with the charger maintaining the batteries. THAT alone was worth the price of the charger.

I think they're both good units. As mentioned, I've had the Noco for about three years and it's been perfect. In fact, I used to take all 4 batteries out of the boat in December and store them inside the garage. Then I'd rotate a charger on them to keep them topped up. Pulling those batteries out and replacing them was a JOB! For the last few winters I run an extension cord to the boat in the backyard, tarp the boat and she sleeps until spring with the charger maintaining the batteries. THAT alone was worth the price of the charger.

Exactly the response I was looking for. Many thanks.

Mark

Absolutely love my MK charger but I would be hard pressed to buy another over the Noco for the price difference. It looks like you are planning on it but absolutely go with at minimum a 10 amp per bank charger. I've had a 4amp per bank and it wasn't enough to charge the battery overnight.

If its for trolling motors, the rule of thumb to use is to take the amp-hour rating of the battery and divide this by the rate of charge to get an idea of the maximum charging time. 200AH/10amps=20hours. Since there is some inefficiency in charging, but you likely wont be completely dead, the rule of thumbs is probably close. Get as big a charger as you can and get it fully automatic with multi-phase charge cycles. IT will pay for itself by helping the batteries last longer. I like the promariner pronautic series. They are not waterproof though and need to be installed in a protected space like a console.

I got lower amp charger as it's rare for me to spend back to back full days on the trolling motor... and it's also rare for me to drain the battery in a day

On the weekends where the plan is to cast musky for 2-3 days then I use my car charger on the TM battery

In all honesty I only use the car charger like 1-2 times a year...

If you fish a lot of back to back days and you use your trolling motor a lot get the highest amps you can afford

All that said I have a noco 2 bank 8 amp (4 per bank) and no issues

Edited by Mike Rousseau

I have had these chargers for about 15 years now and have no reason to consider anything else. Waterproof, Price right, Powerful and Dependable. It's plugged in anytime I'm not fishing, like right now.

http://www.promariner.com/en/news/prosportgeneration3

x2 on these units. They have the Pro Mariner 20A 3 bank on Amazon.ca for under 200 bucks, great deal. These will automatically distribute the whole 20A capacity to whatever battery needs it most. I use my trolling motor hard and long and the batteries are always back to 100% overnight even if I run them right flat. I leave them in the boat and plugged in all winter with no issues whatsoever.

https://www.amazon.ca/Pro-Mariner-ProSport-Generation-Battery/dp/B00F5EBS66/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1490275807&sr=8-3&keywords=3+bank+battery+charger

Edited by G.mech

x2 on these units. They have the Pro Mariner 20A 3 bank on Amazon.ca for under 200 bucks, great deal. These will automatically distribute the whole 20A capacity to whatever battery needs it most. I use my trolling motor hard and long and the batteries are always back to 100% overnight even if I run them right flat. I leave them in the boat and plugged in all winter with no issues whatsoever.

https://www.amazon.ca/Pro-Mariner-ProSport-Generation-Battery/dp/B00F5EBS66/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1490275807&sr=8-3&keywords=3+bank+battery+charger

And Cabela's has them on SALE now for only $149 . . . . same charger with Cabela's name.

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=1309718&type=product&MDK=dynbanP_PO&MDC=cat104698080

I can drive to Cabela's and pick it up for FREE, so no shipping required.

Okay then but do the US conversion before you leave....and make sure they have them in Canada, they don't show up on the Cabelas.ca site.

Edited by G.mech